Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2016, 10:41 AM   #166
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
With 2000 books, how do you navigate through them? Is there good file/book management on the One?

I have trouble navigating on my Glo, having to page through to find a particular book. Maybe I just don't know the trick. Anyone know how to quickly search for a particular book on a Kobo?
Well, there is the search. This searches the title, author and series info.

And in the lists, if you tap the page number, it opens an entry box to type in a page number. Tapping go takes you to that page.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #167
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
It was with Wi-Fi and sync off, light automatic (about 75%?) and comfort light one step above the minimum (I prefer it when inside far from a window).
Is the battery life better if you turn off auto light sensor?
Quote:
With 2000 books, how do you navigate through them? Is there good file/book management on the One?

I have trouble navigating on my Glo, having to page through to find a particular book. Maybe I just don't know the trick. Anyone know how to quickly search for a particular book on a Kobo?
I have around two hundred books on my kindle and for me it's like with Google search results -- if a book is not on the first two three pages it might as well not exist I don't know how people do it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #168
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:

I like to have all my reference library at hand, and a large part of my library, and I can put more on the One, which I like.

I have some 7600 "books" in all on my computer, but I should say files (epubs of PDFs): it may be one file for complete works (maximum 13383 pages, for Henry James) or one short story (minimum 3 pages for "as a wife has a cow" by Gertrude Stein), and some books with pictures can be very "heavy" (the biggest on the One is the complete Sherlock Holmes illustrated, 50 Mo).

And Calibre is my friend: when I download any book, not only do I clean and polish it, ensuring it has a Table of Contents to the level I wish, but I add metadata: a resume of the book, the number of pages, the day I downloaded it to Calibre, the language, the category (fantasy, philosophy, children, etc.), metacategories (examples in my case 0 catalogs, 00 *, 00 reference poetry, 00 reference other, 1 to reread, 1 SF/F to read, 4 to revise..., ss for short stories etc.), tags to build virtual libraries (aura1! for books that go to the aura One only, not the Glo HD - vice versa Glo HD!).

I update frequently the Calibre catalogs I send to the devices: it allows searches from the devices that include my Archives, and it is a convenient way, in a compacter form, to browse the books on a device when I'm looking for something new to read. I have added prefixes to the titles in the catalogs: A means it is in the Archives, O in the One only, G in the Glo HD only, 1 I read it on paper only, 2 I read it in electronic form.

And since I forget what I have, occasionally I browse by categories / tags in Calibre - often with the covers - to add or substract to my various to be read piles.

But for smaller libraries, or if you know what you are looking for, the search bar in Kobos is easy: choose the booklist with the arrow, and begin to type part of the name of an author, or a title, and if you choose well (and you'll learn quickly what works), 3 or 4 characters are enough.

In any case, it is much easier than with paper books: I have thousands too, some in my flat, more 4 floors up in the "chambre de bonne", and it is not classified; though I do have some idea where most are. I've looked long and unsuccessfully for books - but that often allows me to find books which slipped my mind, and I've bought again books I'd completely forgotten about. Same thing with CDs (hundreds only), and I've started to digitalize my music too.

EDIT:
The cleaning/polishing/cataloging is a lot of work I've been doing progressively since I bought my first reader, in 2011. The tags have changed a lot over time, but the structure itself is mostly stable now. The work has allowed me to become fairly familiar with my library though, just like I sometimes browse through my paper books.

Syncing between computers and saving everything including my Calibre parameters was a bitch until I went the way of Calibre Portable. I also often save my reading positions, practically daily when at home, which helps with syncing between devices, and not despairing when you have a crash (which hasn't happened recently with devices, touch wood)

Last edited by anacreon; 09-02-2016 at 12:27 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #169
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
A further comment after having read on the Aura One last night. The red LED lighting is not as even as the basic lighting. I find that the bottom left and right are whiter than the rest of the screen as you turn up the natural light setting (especially in dimmer lighting) and with a moderately low natural light setting (a little higher than 1/3 maybe) in dimmer light gives bit of a reddish glow in the middle at the bottom. With natural light turned down further you can get a warmer screen without this still, or you can leave it at the bottom if you want a cooler light.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #170
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question I'm getting desperate

Quote:
I still have battery problems. I left home with a fully charged One two hours ago, read a maximum of one hour since, in bits and pieces, and am at 66%.
Charged it again to 100%, read an hour Wi-Fi off, sync off, brightness 100%, comfort light off, battery had fallen 89%. Put it to sleep for 2 1/2 hours, woke it again: battery at 70%.

Do I have a dud? Nobody else on today's F/W has this problem?
Advert
Old 09-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #171
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
Quote:
Charged it again to 100%, read an hour Wi-Fi off, sync off, brightness 100%, comfort light off, battery had fallen 89%. Put it to sleep for 2 1/2 hours, woke it again: battery at 70%.

Its either one of two things, duff battery or something is continually using the cpu. Is there anyway to check cpu usage??

Its a pity you've loaded all those books on as I would do a factory reset, turn off the usual and side load one book and see the battery usage goes.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #172
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:

Try calibrate the meter, you have to discharge the battery completely. Then recharge it completely 100%, and don't charge in between, repeat two or three times.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #173
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Try calibrate the meter, you have to discharge the battery completely. Then recharge it completely 100%, and don't charge in between, repeat two or three times.
Will do. To be continued - if it continues at this rhythm, bleeding when sleeping, should not be long.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #174
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Do not empty the battery totally; (10-20 % will do).

Someone had the same issue as you (battery going down when sleeping), he went to change it.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #175
Brigitte-Bedo
Brigitte-Bedo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post

Someone had the same issue as you (battery going down when sleeping), he went to change it.
It's me
Brigitte-Bedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #176
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
I follow this procedure on every device I have own, e-readers, phones, tables, laptops, e.t.c.
If this leak occurs [and insist] on 3 or 4th charge, then you must check the power options you have.
Follow the step by step procedure. Put the device on power off mode for a few hours and fired up. Check the battery status. Put the device on sleep mode for a few minutes (1h) and check again.
WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #177
fraga
fraga began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Hi !
Got mine yesterday from fnac as well, it seems like I have the same battery trouble as you Anacreon. I will do more test (turn off wifi, light, autosync, reboot) and keep you posted.
fraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #178
Brigitte-Bedo
Brigitte-Bedo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I had battery issue too and Fnac gave me another One.
No more battery drain since few hours.
Brigitte-Bedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #179
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraga View Post
Hi !
Got mine yesterday from fnac as well, it seems like I have the same battery trouble as you Anacreon. I will do more test (turn off wifi, light, autosync, reboot) and keep you posted.
Mine has been asleep since this morning and battery hasn't moved. As painful as it is to do, I'd try a factory reset (worst case you're going to replace it anyway so you'll end up in the same place as a factory reset anyway). Could be something is stuck and that might solve it. If it doesn't I'd get it replaced. I doubt calibrating the battery is going to help when it's dropping that fast.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #180
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
That discussion has already taken place in this thread. I believe you are wrong.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote