Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-30-2016, 12:36 PM   #166
annalisa.x
annalisa.x began at the beginning.

Device: onyx N96ML - pocketbook 902
If i can help , me too i can send an email to onyx but you must help me with english UncleZeno , then, in the email, i'd like to ask about the problem with organization of ebooks....this makes me ...grrrrrrrrr ...my expectation was higher for this device!
annalisa.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:14 AM   #167
remo26
remo26 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox N96
Thanks for the input. I would happily wait for a new Sony product, but it doesn't look like a replacement is coming. While you're right that reliability for pdf mark-up is a concern, it does not have to be in real time. So, some playing around to find the right app is okay. However, scribbling notes on blank e-ink is a must. Can it reliably save notes on the fly? Again, this unit is not for me, but my wife. She is now set on the 9.7" unit rather than 13.3". Any thoughts on my questions about RAM difference in the 2 models, OneNote, organizing notes, and linking notes to calendar alarms? I thought that maybe people thought these are not so relevant questions because they are related to Android more than the N96; however, if these work fairly reliably on this unit, it would probably be enough for me to make the purchase. So, I didn't want to know if in principle it can do these tasks, but in practice that it doesn't crash or otherwise bug out.
remo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2016, 12:22 PM   #168
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
As I don't have the device myself, I can't help with the practicalities, unfortunately, but as I mentioned earlier at least on banggood both the front light and the dual touch version of the n96 have the same amount of RAM. Ereader-store don't provide RAM specifications, but don't mention any difference either. Where did you see them listed with different amounts of RAM? Might be worth double checking with the vendor if that is really correct, it wouldn't make much sense... Onyx also list then with the same amount of RAM http://boox.com/index.php/en/boox-products/n96-n96ml
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #169
UncleZeno
Connoisseur
UncleZeno began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardest View Post
Hi UncleZeno, I second the motion regarding the battery drain. I have the book cover and my device is not rooted. If I’m not mistaken after a day the battery is gone. I will test your theory regarding the cover. My Nook Simple Touch with & without glowlight definitely last for days/weeks turned on and on standby. However the Nook does not have a magnetic cover. If it is the cover it’s a shame because I like the toughness of the cover and it does protect the screen. Is there a tough screen cover without the magnets/an alternative??

Truth be known I actually don’t use my Onyx N96ML that much. I guess I just don’t have a lot of time on my hands to read LOL. Since I use my phone/tablets often sometimes I get annoyed by the slow response time of the Onyx when I navigate and there have been times the Onyx froze on me so I would have to reboot it.
Hi Stardest,

I wrote to Onyx and they are aware of the issue of the battery draining. They are on it and in their beta test image the issue should be already fxed. They also passed me the image to test but hadn't time to try it out.

I also have same issue of slowness/freezes. But the weird thing is that this started to happen suddenly, after days and days of reading. I am wondering if this is related to some cache memory going full or dirty.

Will try to install the beta release and let you know. But no deadline for this because I will be on holidays soon.

UncleZ
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #170
UncleZeno
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by annalisa.x View Post
If i can help , me too i can send an email to onyx but you must help me with english UncleZeno , then, in the email, i'd like to ask about the problem with organization of ebooks....this makes me ...grrrrrrrrr ...my expectation was higher for this device!
Ciao Annalisa,

sure drop me a private message and will arrange the message together.

UncleZ
Advert
Old 07-03-2016, 12:18 AM   #171
remo26
remo26 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox N96
Here is a quote from a write-up on eBook Reader.com.

"Another change is the internal memory has been bumped up significantly to 16GB. As far as RAM, the N96 is listed at 512MB and the N96ML is listed at 1GB. Both models support microSD cards up to 32GB."

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...e-ink-screens/

However, now that I checked, I did see that other sites list both models with 1GB.
remo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:50 AM   #172
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Oh yes, I think I came across that too a while ago and was wondering where that claim came from. I guess some promotion material must have included the 512mb number at some point. As of now, I'm not aware of any vendor that claims the 512. If your seller doesn't state the size of the RAM, it may be worth asking just in case there is a rogue 512mb model around, but I think as a rule RAM needn't play a rule in your decision between the N96 ML vs dualtouch as it should be identical.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #173
kiquetal
kiquetal began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi everyone,did anybody use this device with programmings book?I really want to know if the arrangement of code's block is readable.
kiquetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #174
UncleZeno
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiquetal View Post
Hi everyone,did anybody use this device with programmings book?I really want to know if the arrangement of code's block is readable.
Hi,

I use it mainly for IT related stuffs but not programming.
If you'd like send me some pages of books you read and I can upload pictures on how they look like.

UncleZ
Old 07-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #175
kiquetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleZeno View Post
Hi,

I use it mainly for IT related stuffs but not programming.
If you'd like send me some pages of books you read and I can upload pictures on how they look like.

UncleZ
Thanks, Mr. UncleZ, perhaps this link could do the work? https://manning-content.s3.amazonaws.../Joy2_Ch07.pdf
Old 07-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #176
UncleZeno
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiquetal View Post
Thanks, Mr. UncleZ, perhaps this link could do the work? https://manning-content.s3.amazonaws.../Joy2_Ch07.pdf
Hi,

I took some samples with my phone. 3 of them are zip files because they were too big to be uploaded on the forum.
I think that the quality is pretty good

UncleZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160706_141813.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	149952   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160706_141755.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	149953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160706_141825.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	149954  
Attached Files
File Type: zip IMG_20160706_141734.jpg.zip (1.42 MB, 161 views)
File Type: zip IMG_20160706_141902.jpg.zip (1.33 MB, 172 views)
File Type: zip IMG_20160706_141850.jpg.zip (1.42 MB, 178 views)
Old 07-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #177
absconditus
absconditus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G & Onyx Boox N96
Hi everyone -- I'm trying to decide between the model with the front light and the one without it. Is there an option to completely turn off the front light, not just dim it, on the model that has it? Thank you.
absconditus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #178
UncleZeno
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by absconditus View Post
Hi everyone -- I'm trying to decide between the model with the front light and the one without it. Is there an option to completely turn off the front light, not just dim it, on the model that has it? Thank you.
Hi,

yes. It's possible to turn it off completely.

UncleZ
Old 07-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #179
kiquetal

Quote:
Hi,

I took some samples with my phone. 3 of them are zip files because they were too big to be uploaded on the forum.
I think that the quality is pretty good

UncleZ

Thanks, Sir UncleZeno, I think I'm going to buy this device next month
Old 07-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #180
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: None
Hi UncleZeno,

What do you mean by image? I noticed that Onyx website had an update.zip so I downloaded it and updated the N96ML. I didn't really read what changed but so far right now the N96ML doesn't seem to be malfunctioning and at sleep standby its been 3 days at 67%.

Quote:
Hi Stardest,

I wrote to Onyx and they are aware of the issue of the battery draining. They are on it and in their beta test image the issue should be already fxed. They also passed me the image to test but hadn't time to try it out.

I also have same issue of slowness/freezes. But the weird thing is that this started to happen suddenly, after days and days of reading. I am wondering if this is related to some cache memory going full or dirty.

Will try to install the beta release and let you know. But no deadline for this because I will be on holidays soon.

UncleZ
stardest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, n96, n96ml, onyx