Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-24-2023, 08:20 PM   #1741
Bradles
Connoisseur
Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Apple Books & Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by retval View Post
Greetings, I understand that it should not involve an economic cost.
Each user installing the add-on should open an account in OpenAI or other AI tool. Then you should generate an API and install it in the add-on to make it work. The plugin would be just the bridge between Calibre and chatGPT.
This is how the chatgpt add-on for Obsidian that does summaries and questions for articles works.
In the case of books or long pdfs the user would see if he pays for a more complete API.
It's not what we dream of, but it would be a big step.
I saw this on Ars Technica this morning about the upcoming Windows 11 Copilot AI assistant feature. Of interest:

Quote:
... summarizing and rewriting documents that were dragged into it...
Bradles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:15 AM   #1742
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
This is nothing but speculation, because I don't know how the company behind ChatGPT and similar works exactly, but given how everything "free" in Internet works, if a user feeds a whole book or copyrighted work to the AI, it's opening that work for public use since the data you feed is used to train the AI for future use. And that is a whole can of worms, because the owner of the copyright hasn't given permission to use the work, so, maybe in a near future the public AIs are going to restrict that kind of use, at least until that whole mess of use cases is cleared.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2023, 07:30 PM   #1743
Bradles
Connoisseur
Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Bradles is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

We're straying a bit off-topic here, but just to respond to milady133:
  • the OpenAI API service (which one would use in a plugin) does not use your data by default, i.e. it is opt-in to use data for training.
  • the ChatGPT and DALL-E web sites are opt-out, so they do use your data unless you tell them not to.
  • ChatGPT (gpt-3.5-turbo API) has about a 3000 word limit, so you couldn't send a whole book anyway.
  • The gpt-4 API (currently in limited beta) has / will have about a 24,000 word limit.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:27 AM   #1744
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradles View Post
We're straying a bit off-topic here, but just to respond to milady133:
  • the OpenAI API service (which one would use in a plugin) does not use your data by default, i.e. it is opt-in to use data for training.
  • the ChatGPT and DALL-E web sites are opt-out, so they do use your data unless you tell them not to.
  • ChatGPT (gpt-3.5-turbo API) has about a 3000 word limit, so you couldn't send a whole book anyway.
  • The gpt-4 API (currently in limited beta) has / will have about a 24,000 word limit.
if you give a URL to a text version of the book, would that work?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:15 AM   #1745
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
...a plugin that uses an AI to generate a short book summary (and/or a summary of the critical response) for the selected book?
Just to be clear, the plugin doesn't summarize the text of the book; it asks the AI for a summary. If the AI doesn't know about the book - no summary
So essentially, you're sending a prompt like:
  • "Please generate a one-paragraph summary of the book TITLE by AUTHOR in LANGUAGE, if you have any knowledge of this work."
  • "Please summarize critical reviews/public perceptions of the book TITLE by AUTHOR in LANGUAGE, if you have any knowledge of this work."
?
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2023, 02:51 PM   #1746
mikhail_fil
Enthusiast
mikhail_fil began at the beginning.

Device: PC / ipad air
Quote:
Would anyone be interested in a plugin that uses an AI to generate a short book summary (and/or a summary of the critical response) for the selected book?

I've already created the plugin (for my own amusement and edification), but I don't really see a wider use case for it... aside from novelty value.

It seems to do a reasonable job at generating content in languages other than English... including Klingon!

Just to be clear, the plugin doesn't summarize the text of the book; it asks the AI for a summary. If the AI doesn't know about the book - no summary.

(The cost of sending a whole book's worth of data to be summarized would be prohibitive even for my own personal use.)

Hi, I am very interested in this, I actually posed a question in another thread, but people got really "passionate" about it. I have a large library that I would love to be able to "ask a question" using my chatgpt 4 or even 3.5. I understand its potential for BS information, but I found it really managable if the prompt is very detailed.

in addition, it would be great to be able to generate additional CUSTOM METADATA (By AI) in response to specific prompts, i.e. "Please provide tags to the following books, but ensure that they are chosen from the following list, or are descriptive based on ....."

Thousands of books and research papers. Over years custom tagging has been a nightmare...

I'd love to try your plugin if possible... YOu can also write to me directly at mfilshtca@gmail.com

Last edited by mikhail_fil; 06-03-2023 at 02:54 PM.
mikhail_fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:10 PM   #1747
Bradles
Connoisseur

I've created this thread to continue the discussion about the suggested AI Book Summary plugin. Please use that for any questions or comments.
Old 07-06-2023, 02:12 AM   #1748
croonable
Enthusiast
croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.

Device: none
I want a plugin that can count chapters in any formats for calibre.

It could have a custom column that adds the numbers of chapters for you.

It would more convenient and useful to check if any fanfics need updating.
croonable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 10:32 AM   #1749
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by croonable View Post
I want a plugin that can count chapters in any formats for calibre.

It could have a custom column that adds the numbers of chapters for you.

It would more convenient and useful to check if any fanfics need updating.
FanFicFare can auto-populate the chapter-count. You can use 'update metadata' to just populate the columns eithout updating the file itself.

Other ones, populating the chapter count would be tricky. Something like ToC count, title pages and acknowledgements pages or "preview the author's other books" would get counted.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 05:46 AM   #1750
HarshIceHummer
HarshIceHummer began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Plugin Request - A speed reading plugin (via Rapid Serial Visual Presentation).

Hi

I would like to request for a Plugin that helps in Speed Reading via Rapid Serial Visual Presentation technique.

It can work like -

1. https://github.com/anthonynosek/sprint-reader-chrome OR like
2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r.speedreading
HarshIceHummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 03:05 AM   #1751
Rajesh1297
Rajesh1297
Rajesh1297 began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Header with Page number During Convert Epub to Word

Header with Page number During Convert Epub to Word.

when we convert books from epub to word. then it should be added header with page number

1. right side page - book title and page number
2. left side page author name with page umber
Rajesh1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 04:50 AM   #1752
chicleeblair
Connoisseur
chicleeblair began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Something that lets you treat a plug-in like book fusion sync as a connected device. So that you can use plug-boards and plug-ins with it, for instance like changing composite columns and moving reading lists.
chicleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 06:34 PM   #1753
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
romancefdb.com metadata plugin

Fictiondb has created an offshoot for it's romance books. romancefdb.com. Since it started this I haven't been getting any tags using fiction db. Anyone able to create a plugin for it?
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 11:53 AM   #1754
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Tracking new releases from my authors?

I'm looking for a plugin or something that I can use to track new book releases from authors that are in my Calibre library. I've tried to search MobileRead and the web, but my search terms seem to be too vague.

As a comparison, I use an app on my iPhone called MusicHarbor; I authorized it to read my Apple Music library, and when I open MusicHarbor, it shows all new releases by the artists in my Library.

Email notifications would be best, but periodically visiting a website would be fine as well. I also expect that the plugin would need to be periodically run in Calibre to refresh my authors list on whatever source is finding the new books. There are over 500 authors in my Calibre, so I don't want to have to do this manually.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:23 PM   #1755
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogice View Post
I'm looking for a plugin or something that I can use to track new book releases from authors that are in my Calibre library. I've tried to search MobileRead and the web, but my search terms seem to be too vague.

As a comparison, I use an app on my iPhone called MusicHarbor; I authorized it to read my Apple Music library, and when I open MusicHarbor, it shows all new releases by the artists in my Library.

Email notifications would be best, but periodically visiting a website would be fine as well. I also expect that the plugin would need to be periodically run in Calibre to refresh my authors list on whatever source is finding the new books. There are over 500 authors in my Calibre, so I don't want to have to do this manually.
You don't need a plugin. You can use https://www.fantasticfiction.com to follow the authors you want to be notified about.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, chatbot, cover, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, kindle, metadata calibre title, missing, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development, scribe