Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #1651
alexantao
alexantao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
OK.

Ran calibre-debug. Here is the results. I even looked at it. I'll take a look in a few minutes.

Just a note: Running on MacOSX High Sierra.
Attached Files
File Type: txt calibre-debug.log.txt (69.0 KB, 1040 views)
alexantao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #1652
alexantao

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexantao View Post
OK.

Ran calibre-debug. Here is the results. I even looked at it. I'll take a look in a few minutes.

And to make things better, I passed half a day setting the Date on books I've read (I have some dates marked on skoob.com.br) and after ran this sync session, all dates were unset.

I could see that in the device the date of the books are also unset (I think the line is : last_read=none), but it should not overwrite the field already set on Calibre Librar, it should ignore.
Advert
Old 08-21-2019, 07:33 PM   #1653
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
yes, they are. All of then synced and green check.

The "Not if finished in library" is NOT selected. The books I want to fetch date read are all 100% read in Library.

It is running automatically, and sets the % read correctly. Just the dates are not fetched. Some books does have the dates set and I am setting now mannually, but some are set or are wrong set (there are some I read 2 months ago, but were set red on 2012).
That makes me think that you haven't configured a column for the date read. If the percent read is updated, this is the most likely thing. If you have multiple profiles for different devices, make sure you are using the correct one.

Quote:
I'll see how to start it in debug mode. I thought there were a way to activate debug only on the plug-in. thanks.
The plugin doesn't have a separate debug mode. To run calibre in debug mode, right-click the preferences button and choose the option to restart in debug mode. Calibre will close and reopen and display a message about debug mode. You can do this from the command line, but this is the easiest way to capture the debug log.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #1654
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK.

Sorry, I missed this in my reply earlier.
Quote:
And to make things better, I passed half a day setting the Date on books I've read (I have some dates marked on skoob.com.br) and after ran this sync session, all dates were unset.

I could see that in the device the date of the books are also unset (I think the line is : last_read=none), but it should not overwrite the field already set on Calibre Librar, it should ignore.
That can be argued about. The function is to get the current status from the device. You can specify exactly which bits to get. And you can say don't get the status for finished books. That latter will mean you don't update the timestamp. Not clearing it when the options have said to set it to the value on the device could easily be seen as wrong as what you are seeing.

But, the real question is why the device has empty dates for the last read date. How did you mark the books as finished? Reading to the end should set the date. Using the menus to mark it as finished should also set the date. The only way I can think of to mark the book as read without setting the date is to use "Update metadata on device" to set the status and not have it set the date. Is that what you did?

Also, until this is sorted out, I would recommend turning on the option to display the results before updating the library. Or turn of the automatic fetch. That way you can make sure it is making the changes you want.

Last edited by davidfor; 08-21-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #1655
alexantao

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That makes me think that you haven't configured a column for the date read. If the percent read is updated, this is the most likely thing. If you have multiple profiles for different devices, make sure you are using the correct one.
Yes I have, as soon as I installed Calibre and bought my Kobo I configured it this way, configured a lot of thing, including shelves... attached some screenshots from my options.

Quote:
Sorry, I missed this in my reply earlier.

That can be argued about. The function is to get the current status from the device. You can specify exactly which bits to get. And you can say don't get the status for finished books. That latter will mean you don't update the timestamp. Not clearing it when the options have said to set it to the value on the device could easily be seen as wrong as what you are seeing.
I understand, but it would be simple to tell: do not update Calibre Library Book's date if date read on device is not set. Similar to the Reading position option KoboUtilities already has. This is a suggestion.

Quote:
But, the real question is why the device has empty dates for the last read date. How did you mark the books as finished? Reading to the end should set the date. Using the menus to mark it as finished should also set the date. The only way I can think of to mark the book as read without setting the date is to use "Update metadata on device" to set the status and not have it set the date. Is that what you did?
Normally I Read to the end. And also pass those last pages with no information until I get the Home Screen on the device and the confirmation that the reading was finished. Some few finished book I incidentally touched and had to mark as finished, but that was some, 3 or 4. Unfortunately, the device does not show me any information about when I started and when I finished to read a book.
I never used "Update metadata on device".

Quote:
Also, until this is sorted out, I would recommend turning on the option to display the results before updating the library. Or turn of the automatic fetch. That way you can make sure it is making the changes you want.
Have done it and tested today (see screenshot). The interesting is that it shows a dialog with some books finished long time ago and it claims that want to update them. I think all of them I updated LOCALLY (Calibre library) the date read metadata, but if this is the reason, them it should show a lot more books, end they are not on the list.

Searching for information about the dates on my Kobo, I incidentally touched a book I've already read and it started reading again. Marked as finished and plugged it again to sync. The same list of books were shown at the confirmation was asking to update this book as read today. So it is working. The strange thing is that it show books I did not touch anything on the device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de Tela 2019-08-22 às 09.02.52.png
Views:	1457
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	173077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de Tela 2019-08-22 às 09.03.03.png
Views:	1385
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	173078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de Tela 2019-08-22 às 09.04.52.png
Views:	1308
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	173079  
Advert
Old 08-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #1656
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I understand, but it would be simple to tell: do not update Calibre Library Book's date if date read on device is not set. Similar to the Reading position option KoboUtilities already has. This is a suggestion.
Yes, it is simple to tell that one value exists, and the other doesn't. The difficulty is deciding what to do with it. Not resetting the calibre date is not always the correct thing. The real problem is that there should be a date coming from the device.
Quote:
Normally I Read to the end. And also pass those last pages with no information until I get the Home Screen on the device and the confirmation that the reading was finished. Some few finished book I incidentally touched and had to mark as finished, but that was some, 3 or 4. Unfortunately, the device does not show me any information about when I started and when I finished to read a book.
I never used "Update metadata on device".

Have done it and tested today (see screenshot). The interesting is that it shows a dialog with some books finished long time ago and it claims that want to update them. I think all of them I updated LOCALLY (Calibre library) the date read metadata, but if this is the reason, them it should show a lot more books, end they are not on the list.
You have "Only if more recent" selecting in the configuration. That means it should only be fetching the reading status for books on the device that have a last read date after that in the calibre library. Which is correct for the book with a date.
Quote:
Searching for information about the dates on my Kobo, I incidentally touched a book I've already read and it started reading again. Marked as finished and plugged it again to sync. The same list of books were shown at the confirmation was asking to update this book as read today. So it is working. The strange thing is that it show books I did not touch anything on the device.
There is something strange happening with the dates on the device. Can you send me the database from the device? Upload it somewhere and PM me the link. Also, is the date and time set correctly? And what language do you have the interface set to?
Old 09-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #1657
jiembe
Zealot
jiembe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo; Kobo Libra
Maximum font size

I use a Kobo Glo. I found that the maximum font display size seems to be limited according to my experience at 2em (some say it is 44 pt). The only time I'm able to display a larger font size is by using the code: class :: first-letter.

Is it possible to add an option to modify this Kobo limitation that I think is of this type: [QUOTE] if new_size> 72 then new_size = 72 [/ QUOTE]
jiembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:43 PM   #1658
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiembe View Post
I use a Kobo Glo. I found that the maximum font display size seems to be limited according to my experience at 2em (some say it is 44 pt). The only time I'm able to display a larger font size is by using the code: class :: first-letter.

Is it possible to add an option to modify this Kobo limitation that I think is of this type:
Code:
 if new_size> 72 then new_size = 72
Sorry, I have no idea what you are asking for or where you want this. The only place the plugin handles font sizes is in the "Set Reader font for selected books". And that has a range from 12 to 58. Those are the limits that the device uses in the font size slider (though I haven't checked this recently).

If you are setting a very large font size in a book, and it isn't being used, there might be a limit in the firmware. I don't know as I've never needed to investigate. I suggest you ask in the Kobo forum, as someone there might have looked. And it sort of sounds like you are asking for a firmware patch to limit the font size used.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-09-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:43 PM   #1659
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Copy Annotations

Calibre version 3.48.0 has some changes to the KoboTouch driver to fix issues with getting annotations from the device. This is used by the fetch annotations function built into calibre and by the copy annotations function in this plugin. I believe this will solve the issues with the copy annotations function that have been reported here.

If there are still issues with the copy annotations function, I will probably need to see the database from the device and the book the annotations are being made on.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #1660
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

New firmware 4.17.13651

Kobo has just released firmware 4.17.13651. This is the release for the Libra H2O but is going to most devices. Unfortunately, there has been a change in how the reading location is stored in the database. I have not had a chance to fix this. The only impact it should have is when fetching the reading status, the location fetched for ePubs will be blank. For kepubs, this should still work.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #1661
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Great stuff davidfor, I appreciate the work you've done on this.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #1662
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E; Kobo Clara BW
A little mystery:

Collections on the Clara default to sort by Recent. I use the Utilities plugin to set the series order, and it works, with collections now sorted by Series in the proper order.

However, once the Kobo is powered off and restarted, the collections sort reverts to Recent. The good news is that manually setting the sort to Series for any single collection causes all collections to return to Series sort.

This does not seem to be expected behavior. I'm wondering if this is a known issue or if there is a possible solution to make the Series sort stick.

I'm on the current calibre using Kobo Touch Extended driver and a few current patches on the Kobo.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #1663
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
A little mystery:

Collections on the Clara default to sort by Recent. I use the Utilities plugin to set the series order, and it works, with collections now sorted by Series in the proper order.

However, once the Kobo is powered off and restarted, the collections sort reverts to Recent. The good news is that manually setting the sort to Series for any single collection causes all collections to return to Series sort.

This does not seem to be expected behavior. I'm wondering if this is a known issue or if there is a possible solution to make the Series sort stick.

I'm on the current calibre using Kobo Touch Extended driver and a few current patches on the Kobo.
If you are powering off your Kobo to save the battery, it won't help. It could use more battery powering it back on then leaving it in sleep. If you are turning it off because you aren't going to be using for some days, that's OK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #1664
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
A little mystery:

What are you actually doing with the plugin? As you are setting "series order", I can think of three things.

Firstly there is using the update metadata function. That will update the series info for the selected book. But, it doesn't affect the collections in any way.

Then there the series update in the device list. Again, that updates the series info, but, again, doesn't affect the collections in any way.

The last is "Order series shelves", and that is fairly pointless for the Clara HD. This was a hack put before Kobo added a series sorting option. It fiddled with the timestamp used by the "Dated Added" sort so that the books in a collection would be in series order if this sort was selected. This is the only function that I can think of that affects the sort order for a collection. It can set the sort order option for a collection to "Date added" so that the book would be in series order. With the proper series sort that is now on the device, and has been since before the Clara HD was released, there is little point in using this function.

Other than that, the plugin doesn't change the selected sort order of collections. Testing on one of my device, I don't see an issue with setting different collections to use different sort orders and the powering off. I don't remember there being issues with this in any recent firmware.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #1665
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E; Kobo Clara BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are powering off your Kobo to save the battery, it won't help. It could use more battery powering it back on then leaving it in sleep. If you are turning it off because you aren't going to be using for some days, that's OK.
I don't power off very often, but was experimenting with the new power off times patch.

Quote:
What are you actually doing with the plugin? As you are setting "series order", I can think of three things.

Firstly there is using the update metadata function. That will update the series info for the selected book. But, it doesn't affect the collections in any way.

Then there the series update in the device list. Again, that updates the series info, but, again, doesn't affect the collections in any way.

The last is "Order series shelves", and that is fairly pointless for the Clara HD. This was a hack put before Kobo added a series sorting option. It fiddled with the timestamp used by the "Dated Added" sort so that the books in a collection would be in series order if this sort was selected. This is the only function that I can think of that affects the sort order for a collection. It can set the sort order option for a collection to "Date added" so that the book would be in series order. With the proper series sort that is now on the device, and has been since before the Clara HD was released, there is little point in using this function.

Other than that, the plugin doesn't change the selected sort order of collections. Testing on one of my device, I don't see an issue with setting different collections to use different sort orders and the powering off. I don't remember there being issues with this in any recent firmware.
Yes, Order Series Shelves. As you say, there is Series sort on the Clara. But I have to select that manually for each collection the first time I look at it. So I (mistakenly) thought that using the plugin would automatically set all collections to Series sort.

So I seem to have discovered a good side effect of what I did. Running the plugin task seemed to have no effect. But afterward, all I had to do was go to any collection on the Clara and set the sort to Series, whereupon ALL collections were set to Series!

I just tried another power down and this time the Series order did stick. This is after it did not stick several times on two Claras.

Kind of interesting?
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kobo, kobo utilities, kobo-utilities, plugins