Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-20-2019, 03:56 AM   #1651
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
PDF of Gregory Jantz's Five Keys to Dealing with Depression FREE

A $5.99 Kindle at Amazon, Five Keys to Dealing with Depression, by Gregory Jantz, is currently free from an organization called A Place of Hope.

This appears to be the complete book, and not an abridgment, or such like.

A Place of Hope's self-description:
The Center • A Place of HOPE is recognized as a Top Ten Facility in the U.S. for the treatment of depression and anxiety, and a leading eating disorder and behavioral and substance addiction treatment program.

The description of the book, from Amazon:
Loss of interest. Drastic changes in appetite. Deep sadness. Feeling constantly tired. Thoughts of death or suicide. The symptoms and signs of depression vary over a wide range and affect every part of our lives, so why shouldn't our treatment be just as complete? Five Keys to Depression focuses on the whole-person for whole healing with practical tips, valuable biblical insight, and shame-free help.

Effective Depression Help with the Whole-Person Approach
People are not one-dimensional and neither should be the help given to them. A whole-person is made up of five key aspects and this book makes it easy-to-understand to see how depression affects each area—and how to get healthy in each of these areas—
1. Emotional
2. Intellectual
3. Relational
4. Physical
5. Spiritual

Featuring helpful checklists and research in an easy-to-read format, Jantz's
Five Keys to Dealing with Depression doesn't just manage symptoms. It equips you with the tools and God’s truth to care for the whole person.

There are thousands of books on depression. But oftentimes they give very general recommendations that don't apply to everyone and ignore the spiritual aspects of a person.

Imagine having a book that pulls from Scripture and science that speaks to the whole person, showing them how to be restored emotionally, intellectually, relationally, physically, and spiritually.

See Key Information about Overcoming Depression at a Glance
Spot Signs of Depression and Find Whole Healing [/I]How do I know if I'm depressed? Dr. Gregory Jantz gives you practical ways to recognize the signs of depression. Learn the characteristics of depression and what to do if you are suffering from depression. Full lists for warning signs of depression and signs of clinical depression are included in the book.

The book has 112 pages. Ratings are a little hard to come by, but the ones that are there are generally very positive.

Downloading the ebook is about as simple as downloading an ebook can be--supply your first (only) name; give a valid email address; and you'll get a link to the book (on a HendricksonRose publishing webpage) in your email inbox.

I didn't see any information about the format, and so went ahead and downloaded the ebook and checked--the ebook is in the PDF format.

Direct link.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-20-2019 at 04:02 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:01 AM   #1652
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FREE (Open-Access) Textbook on Copyright Law: Cases and Materials

One of the most common topics of conversation on this thread and other ones, at least in this subforum, is copyright laws.

The copyright laws in the U.S. can be very detailed and confusing. That's why, I suppose, that we're talking about them "all of the time." And when you throw in the copyright laws of all of the countries, which Americans are obligated to obey, well, "it's a quagmire" is an enormous understatement.

Well, our worries are over. Unglue.it, the open-access-by-crowdfunding-publishing organization has released, in just the last few days, Copyright Law: Cases and Materials, by Jeanne C. Fromer and Christopher Jon Sprigman, for public use.

In case you are new to the whole Open Access publishing model, and missed the implications that I gave above, the ebook is free.

The authors probably know what they're talking about--Jeanne C. Fromer is Professor, New York University School of Law, and Co-Director, Engelberg Center on Innovation Law and Policy. Christopher Jon Sprigman is Professor, New York University School of Law, and Co-Director, Engelberg Center on Innovation Law and Policy.

Description
Some law students come to the subject of copyright law with at least a rough working understanding of what copyright is, and what it does (or is theoretically supposed to do). But for many others, copyright has been, and is at the moment, a subject that they’ve perhaps heard about but haven’t explored too deeply. Whatever level of knowledge you have about copyright at the moment, by the end of this book you will gain a firm grounding in the fundamentals of U.S. copyright law.

Here's the webpage at unglue.it for the ebook.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-20-2019 at 05:08 AM.
Advert
Old 06-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #1653
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Charles River Editors, Free

The Collapse of the Soviet Union: The History of the USSR Under Mikhail Gorbachev

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=digital-t...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=digital...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/s?i=digital-te...+river+editors
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:41 PM   #1654
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Material Cultures of Childhood in Second World War Britain, by Gabriel Moshenska.

Publisher: Routledge. 186 pages. Free.

Very recently published (April of this year).

Description
How do children cope when their world is transformed by war? This book draws on memory narratives to construct an historical anthropology of childhood in Second World Britain, focusing on objects and spaces such as gas masks, air raid shelters and bombed-out buildings. In their struggles to cope with the fears and upheavals of wartime, with families divided and familiar landscapes lost or transformed, children reimagined and reshaped these material traces of conflict into toys, treasures and playgrounds. This study of the material worlds of wartime childhood offers a unique viewpoint into an extraordinary period in history with powerful resonances across global conflicts into the present day.

https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=QQaQDwAAQBAJ. May be available elsewhere.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #1655
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Charles River Editors, Free

The Battle of Khe Sanh: The History and Legacy of the Major Battle that Preceded the Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=digital-t...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=digital...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/s?i=digital-te...+river+editors
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #1656
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Ian Fleming's The Diamond Smugglers is on sale for $0.99 on Amazon Kindle:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008L40ODA/
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #1657
itisbomb
Addict
itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 4
Comet
by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan

is $2.99 at US stores

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Comet-Carl-Sa...al-text&sr=1-1

Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/comet-revised

Below is the blurb
What are these graceful visitors to our skies? We now know that they bring both life and death and teach us about our origins.

Comet begins with a breathtaking journey through space astride a comet. Pulitzer Prize-winning astronomer Carl Sagan, author of Cosmos and Contact, and writer Ann Druyan explore the origin, nature, and future of comets, and the exotic myths and portents attached to them. The authors show how comets have spurred some of the great discoveries in the history of science and raise intriguing questions about these brilliant visitors from the interstellar dark.

Were the fates of the dinosaurs and the origins of humans tied to the wanderings of a comet? Are comets the building blocks from which worlds are formed?

Lavishly illustrated with photographs and specially commissioned full-color paintings, Comet is an enthralling adventure, indispensable for anyone who has ever gazed up at the heavens and wondered why.

Praise for Comet

"Simply the best." —The Times of London

"Fascinating, evocative, inspiring." —The Washington Post

"Comet humanizes science. A beautiful, interesting book." —United Press International

"Masterful . . . science, poetry, and imagination." —The Atlanta Journal & Constitution
itisbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #1658
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

[QUOTE=itisbomb;3865608]Comet
by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan

is $2.99 at US stores

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Comet-Carl-Sa...al-text&sr=1-1

Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/comet-revised
<snip>

Hello, Mr. Wet Blanket here:

First, thanks for the post.

This seems to be the second, 2011, edition of this book.

Knowledge in the "hard" sciences increases, and often changes, exponentially, such that I generally will not buy a book in that field of study unless I plan to read it within, say, two years of its date of copyright. I cut a little more slack to the "soft" sciences.

On the other hand, _$2.99_ seems like a great price for this book above. The collection of photos, drawings, and paintings alone might be worth that price.

Just some thoughts . . . .
Old 07-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #1659
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon Kindle $1.99: An Incomplete Education: 3,684 Things You Should Have Learned...

An Incomplete Education: 3,684 Things You Should Have Learned but Probably Didn't

https://www.amazon.com/Incomplete-Ed.../dp/B000S1LE3I

Goodreads page: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...lete_Education
Old 07-12-2019, 02:42 AM   #1660
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

University of Chicago's FREE Ebook for the Month of July, a History of Tennis.

I hadn't receive an email (yet) from the University of Chicago Press about their free ebook for the month of July. Perhaps you have, but at any rate, I don't remember seeing the information posted on this subforum. I was afraid that the University of Chicago Press may have discontinued the program, but my fears were for naught.

Navigate to this University of Chicago Press Books webpage. About halfway down the first screen, there is a box for you to put your email address. Click on "Get E-book." You should receive, in your email within a few minutes, a link to the freebie. Easy peasy.

The free book is Love Game: A History of Tennis, from Victorian Pastime to Global Phenomenon, by Elizabeth Wilson. It has 352 pages. I think that the ebook is available free from the University of Chicago only in the ePub format.

(I have a little bone to pick with the title "Love Game . . . .," which is a reference to the use, in a tennis game, of "love" to mean "zero". Does it make any sense to use the word "love" to mean zero? No. I used to be an avid tennis player; I also used to know a little bit of French. The word l'oeuf in French means egg; a zero looks like an egg. Furthermore, l'oeuf sounds very close to the English word "love." I think that over (a short!) time people began to think that when the chair umpire used the the word l'oeuf, he or she was actually saying "love". And the chair umpires actually may be using "love," nowadays, out of ignorance or an unwillingness to be different (it may also have become an official rule in tennis now to say "love")).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 07-12-2019 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:25 AM   #1661
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
An Incomplete Education: 3,684 Things You Should Have Learned but Probably Didn't

https://www.amazon.com/Incomplete-Ed.../dp/B000S1LE3I

Goodreads page: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...lete_Education
Thanks. Just got it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #1662
itisbomb
Addict
itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hunting Eichman: How a Band of Survivors and a Young Spy Agency Chased Down the World's Most Notorious Nazi
by Neal Bascomb

is $2.99 at U.S. stores (likely today only)

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Eichm...931062&sr=1-15

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/hunting-eichmann

Below is the blurb:
Hunting Eichmann is the first complete narrative of a relentless and harrowing international manhunt.

When the Allies stormed Berlin in the last days of the Third Reich, Adolf Eichmann shed his SS uniform and vanished. Following his escape from two American POW camps, his retreat into the mountains and out of Europe, and his path to an anonymous life in Buenos Aires, his pursuers are a bulldog West German prosecutor, a blind Argentinean Jew and his beautiful daughter, and a budding, ragtag spy agency called the Mossad, whose operatives have their own scores to settle (and whose rare surveillance photographs are published here for the first time). The capture of Eichmann and the efforts by Israeli agents to secret him out of Argentina to stand trial is the stunning conclusion to this thrilling historical account, told with the kind of pulse-pounding detail that rivals anything you'd find in great spy fiction.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #1663
itisbomb
Addict

Life in a Medieval City
by Frances Gies, Joseph Gies

is $1.99 at U.S. stores

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Life-Medieval...t%2C408&sr=1-1

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/lif...-medieval-city

Below is the blurb:
Evoking every aspect of city life in the Middle Ages, Life in a Medieval City depicts in detail what it was like to live in a prosperous city of Northwest Europe in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. The year is 1250 CE and the city is Troyes, capital of the county of Champagne and site of two of the cycle Champagne Fairs—the “Hot Fair” in August and the “Cold Fair” in December. European civilization has emerged from the Dark Ages and is in the midst of a commercial revolution. Merchants and money men from all over Europe gather at Troyes to buy, sell, borrow, and lend, creating a bustling market center typical of the feudal era. As the Gieses take us through the day-to-day life of burghers, we learn the customs and habits of lords and serfs, how financial transactions were conducted, how medieval cities were governed, and what life was really like for a wide range of people.

For serious students of the medieval era and anyone wishing to learn more about this fascinating period, Life in a Medieval City remains a timeless work of popular medieval scholarship.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #1664
WillAdams
Wizard

Amazon Kindle $1.99: Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World

Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World

https://www.amazon.com/Empires-Word-.../dp/B003XDUCE0

Goodreads page: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...es_of_the_Word

The first Amazon review notes problems with special characters/graphics, so this may depend on which reader you use. YMMV
Old 07-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #1665
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World

https://www.amazon.com/Empires-Word-.../dp/B003XDUCE0

Goodreads page: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...es_of_the_Word

The first Amazon review notes problems with special characters/graphics, so this may depend on which reader you use. YMMV
A bit dense at times, but I enjoyed this book.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote