Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #151
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Right I've finally sorted out why my reader wasn't working with ADE and the Sony Reader software.

In the MAC you can choose to boot into 64bit mode or 32bit mode, I had changed to using 64bit. (In fact ADE refuses to install if you boot in 64bit mode.)

If, however you had already installed ADE in 32bit mode prior to changing to 64 bit (ie me), ADE and Sony Reader software appear to work but don't detect the reader. Rebooting in 32bit mode and it all works again.

Meanwhile, I have flashed, installed etc etc so now although I am in the UK I've got my reader flashed with the US firmware. (I've lost my UK version somewhere, I thought I'd got it backed up but oh no...). If any nice person has a UK image I can reflash I'd appreciate a PM (V 1.2)
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #152
VICTORSJG
Addict
VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-505
What files are installed o changed when the new_opt.img (of prs-plus) is flashed on the reader? It's posible to get the source code of this modifications (new_opt.img) to see how the program change de appearance of the reader with this application?

Apart from I have a question about the message sent by pthwaite, if i make an image (new_opt.img) of a reader with uk firmware and then installed the firmware us, it's posible to return to uk firmware reinstalling the image (uk) created before any change?

Thanks

Last edited by VICTORSJG; 12-25-2009 at 06:12 PM.
VICTORSJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #153
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
>>2) PRSCustomizer's author states that his program is GNU PLed, yet I cannot find the sources.
>>

Honest, I didn't lie -- The source is included in the archive. Look for the file prscustomizer.rbp - It's RealBasic source, and compiles under Windows, OS X, and Linux.

And BTW, congrats on the folder code! WTG, Dude!
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:31 AM   #154
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORSJG View Post
What files are installed o changed when the new_opt.img (of prs-plus) is flashed on the reader?
Several files are changed (e.g. font files and a few others), but only one change is really essential - one of the XML files in opt/sony/ebook/application/scripts is changed. I can't remember which one, but if you scroll back to page 2 of this thread, it is the file needs to be changed to combine this hack with PRS Customizer.

Quote:
It's posible to get the source code of this modifications (new_opt.img) to see how the program change de appearance of the reader with this application?
Download CRAMFSCK (a part of CygWin's CRAM package)from somewhere. It lets you extract files from new_opt.img.
http://www.pepak.net/files/mirror/cramfsck.zip

Quote:
Apart from I have a question about the message sent by pthwaite, if i make an image (new_opt.img) of a reader with uk firmware and then installed the firmware us, it's posible to return to uk firmware reinstalling the image (uk) created before any change?
Yes.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:03 AM   #155
VICTORSJG
Addict
VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

To create the image of the firmware of the reader, it's necesary delete the books are installed in the internal memory before? When the image firmware is reinstalled, also recovery the books aren't delete before, or only files relative of appearance of the reader, as fonts, logos, etc?
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #156
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader & Aluratek Libre Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Mike, it is very likely that firmware will NOT change for a while, anyway not in release v1, only JS files will (those, stored in internal memory, means, when release comes, you don't reflash, but simply copy the files).

If you:
1) are satisfied with features current firmware provides and i.e. don't have to mix it with other hacks
2) have Sony PRS 505
3) have firmware version 1.1.00.18040, or don't mind changing to this firmware version

You can easily install it. Follow these steps:
0) Connect your reader to your PC/Mac
1) Copy "database" folder from the release archive to internal memory (you should get /database/system/PRSPlus.js file and /database/system/PRSPlus-addons folder)
2) Download and extract my version of igorsk's flasher http://prs-plus.googlecode.com/files/flasher-igorsk.zip (remove any existing before you do it) to your SD card
3) Copy new_opt.img from release archive to SD card root
4) Disconnect the reader

Igorsk's flasher interface should show up.

5) Press 4

It will take a couple of secs, then you should see the message that image file was successfully copied to /tmp

6) press 6

It will take a minute or so, and ebook will be flashed and then will reboot.

7) Now you have flashed ebook, you can remove igorsk's flasher.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thrilled by the improvements you're making for the PRS-505.

I've followed all of your instructions here but installation got hung up when I pressed #4 "copy image from the card." Nothing happened. At the top of the screen it reads <- Run Script / Sorry, this firmware version is not supported: 505.1.1.00.18040. My version, which I checked first, was 1.1.00.18040. Am I supposed to delete the "505" from it first?

2. I deleted the new photo file since I don't care changing it. I then renamed 505.1.1.00.18040 to 1.1.00.18040 and got a different <- Run script, a stop sign with an ! exclamation mark in it. Then #3 through #7 options. I pushed #6 but nothing happened; it never rebooted. Pushed Menu button but couldn't exit, so turned it off; reconnected and recopied picture to directory with Igorsk, and tried again. Same message: Sorry, this firmware version is not supported: 505.1.1.00.18040.

I'm assuming I've done something wrong but can't figure it out. Suggestions?

Thanks.

Fred
fglaysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #157
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

new_opt.img

My son has explained that was a mistake....

not sure what to do now.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #158
fglaysher
Connoisseur

I recopied all files from PRS-PLUS and Igorsk flasher on to the SD card
and IM. Disconnected and it accepted #4 copying to tmp, then #6, started
rebooting, then:

"Firmware update did not complete successfully. please try again."

so I plugged the cable into the Sony Reader and got:

"Updating firmware now..."

I did a reset:

"Firmware update did not complete successfully. please try again."

going in loops. I removed the SD card hoping to reboot, but hasn't
worked. Same messages. And flashing amber light left of switch.
any suggestions?

Thanks.

Fred
Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #159
fglaysher
Connoisseur

I reinstalled Sony's Update to 1.1.00.18040 - kind of sweated through that. Back at least to Sony's trashware... never thought I'd say that with a sense of relief.

I confess I'm going to wait until you come up a fool-proof installation

Fred
Old 12-28-2009, 03:27 AM   #160
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
What files are installed o changed when the new_opt.img (of prs-plus) is flashed on the reader? It's posible to get the source code of this modifications (new_opt.img) to see how the program change de appearance of the reader with this application?
opt\sony\ebook\application\resources\applicationSt art.xml - the most important (though small) change
opt\sony\ebook\application\resources\scripts\main. xml - clock related change, not important
opt\sony\ebook\application\resources\scripts\kBook Icon.png - new icons

Fonts are changed as well, cyrillic glyphs are inserted. I plan to add glyphs from other compact (armenian, georgian etc, those with a couple of dozens of chars, not chinese, japanese) alphabets.

Quote:
To create the image of the firmware of the reader, it's necesary delete the books are installed in the internal memory before? When the image firmware is reinstalled, also recovery the books aren't delete before, or only files relative of appearance of the reader, as fonts, logos, etc?
You normally don't lose content of internal memory when reflashing. I didn't loose it even though I've bricked my device about dozen of times (experimenting )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fglaysher View Post
I reinstalled Sony's Update to 1.1.00.18040 - kind of sweated through that. Back at least to Sony's trashware... never thought I'd say that with a sense of relief.

I confess I'm going to wait until you come up a fool-proof installation

Fred
Fred, I don't think the install process is going to imporve much (maybe instructions will). Did you follow instructions posted here:
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wi...tallationGuide

On the bright side, as you see unbricking PRS-505 is not a big deal.

Last edited by kartu; 12-28-2009 at 03:31 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:28 AM   #161
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
>>2) PRSCustomizer's author states that his program is GNU PLed, yet I cannot find the sources.
>>

Honest, I didn't lie -- The source is included in the archive. Look for the file prscustomizer.rbp - It's RealBasic source, and compiles under Windows, OS X, and Linux.

And BTW, congrats on the folder code! WTG, Dude!
Oh, sorry, didn't know that.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #162
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post

Fred, I don't think the install process is going to imporve much (maybe instructions will). Did you follow instructions posted here:

On the bright side, as you see unbricking PRS-505 is not a big deal.
Hi Kartu,

Thanks for the good cheer! That had me worrying for a while.

I used the Installation Guide but had some trouble understanding it.

#6... (remove any existing before you do it). Remove all existing files? I had left database/media/books - thinking it would be okay.

I deleted sadoku, fiveball, and sandbox_kartu -- should I leave sandbox in? Something still went wrong so I'm wondering if it was that.

I appreciate your help.

Fred
Old 12-28-2009, 07:16 AM   #163
fglaysher
Connoisseur

reflashing was successful. rebooting
starting up...

saw normal Sony menus, then back to igorsk's Run script.

I turned off the reader; turned it on but deleted all igorsk files on the SD card; added database/media/books folder and cache and sync folders. copied three folders of books
into the books folder. Turned it back on. No folders, though I could Browse Folders to the books folders.

So, I moved the three folders of books to the root and deleted database/media/books. Still no Books by Folder, though I could Browse Folders. Sony's Collections is still a menu but nothing in it. I'm not sure what to do to get the books to show up.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #164
VICTORSJG
Addict

In this link (http://rapidshare.com/files/327002224/new_opt.img.html) you can download a image create by me of the reader with original firmware uk, If you probe to upgrade from us to uk firmware and the result is successful, write your coments on the forum.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #165
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I've finally got my reader UK'd again with some help from various members. It may be an idea in though to explain how to create the new_opt.img from the backup files you create (or can create) during these flashing processes. My problem was I kept getting one that was too big to flash. No, maybe I should say Iw as using the one that is too big to flash.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote