Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #151
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Yes, you must convert the RTF to epub first, this is done in Calibre.
Not sure I understand your question ... is it related to the cover? Or do you need help converting?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #152
ahveel
ahveel began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch, nokia e51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Yes, I have the same issue, sometimes.
I found that the automatically implemented Calibre-Server (in Stanza) rarely works. I added my library manually, then. And every time Stanza and Calibre can't find each other, I edit the Calibre-Link in Stanza, then save and it's visible.

I don't know if it's Calibre's or Stanza's fault ... but somehow it just doesn't work 100%.
Mores, thank you for the reply. Could you possibly tell me how what you mean by "manually add my library" or "editing the Calibre-link in Stanza," how do you do it? I'm pretty much a noob so I'm not that familiar. I just know I used to download my books through the shared library as presented on stanza. Didn't go into those online catalogs and such.
ahveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #153
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

I followed this instruction:
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...with-my-iphone

So when it doesn't connect, I went into the same screen again, clicked the "edit" button, edited the Server I added (using the above instructions), then save it again.

But just last night that did not work either.
So I went into Calibre's settings and STOPPED the content server (I have it on auto-start on program launch). When I then tried to re-start it, I got an error message without a message ... just a red sign.
So I clicked on "start" again, and whoop dee doo ... Stanza finds Calibre again.

Guess I need to send a screenshot to Kovid, maybe he knows what's up with my machine.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 AM   #154
Berylmary
Enthusiast
Berylmary began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, iPod Touch 3G, Sony PRS600, iPhone 3Gs
Quote:
Yes, you must convert the RTF to epub first, this is done in Calibre.
Not sure I understand your question ... is it related to the cover? Or do you need help converting?
The RTF converts OK and the ePub version is OK on the computer but when I download the converted version on to my iPod via Stanza it only loads the beginning of the book and then a whole lot of blank pages.

Books which I have downloaded on to my computer in ePub from the start go on the iPod via calibre - Stanza no problem.
Berylmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #155
mores
Guru

Are you using Calibre to also transmit the file via the Content Server feature? Or do you launch Stanza Desktop to display the file, then Stanza iPod to fetch it?

I think Calibre's RTF-conversion is not the greatest - I believe I've had issues with it too, but can't be sure now. Is there a way you can convert your RTF to HTML first?
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 AM   #156
Berylmary
Enthusiast

Quote:
Are you using Calibre to also transmit the file via the Content Server feature? Or do you launch Stanza Desktop to display the file, then Stanza iPod to fetch it?

I think Calibre's RTF-conversion is not the greatest - I believe I've had issues with it too, but can't be sure now. Is there a way you can convert your RTF to HTML first?
HTML works fine, Thank you.

I go from calibre on desktop to Stanza on iPod. I don't have Stanza on my desktop. Would things work better if I went via Stanza Desktop?
Old 02-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #157
mores
Guru

No, definately not. Stanza for Desktop strips away all formatting. You will not have italic, bold or colored text or anything.
Stick with Calibre!

Does this mean you managed to go from RTF to HTML to EPUB without a problem?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #158
ahveel
ahveel began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch, nokia e51
Berylmary, I agree with mores, nothing beats Calibre. It is simply the best with the metadata tweaking capability and all. I tried using Stanza desktop before and it did the job okay but as mores said, all the beautiful designs just that are meant to be seen just aren't transferred so if you like reading works with authors who like wordplay, you'll miss out on everything.

mores, again, thank you for the reply. I figured out what was wrong! It was my firewall/antivirus blocking the way. I had assigned it to allow calibre total free access and I thought that would have done the job but I guess it was still blocking it. I tried turning them both off as per instruction on the lower part of the page link you gave and wala! I gained access to calibre immediately. You might also want to try this. Maybe we're all having the same problem. Hope this also helps others having the same problem.
ahveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #159
mores
Guru

Thanks for the info, but I'm on a Mac without antivirus software running and no firewall.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #160
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berylmary View Post
The RTF converts OK and the ePub version is OK on the computer but when I download the converted version on to my iPod via Stanza it only loads the beginning of the book and then a whole lot of blank pages.

Books which I have downloaded on to my computer in ePub from the start go on the iPod via calibre - Stanza no problem.
Ah. I know what causes this one. You have to turn off using CSS (if I recall correctly) for your conversion with files that do this. Otherwise all the text ends up on the first page, with nothing on the others, and you can't scroll down the first page. Kovid says it's a Stanza problem.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #161
Berylmary
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Ah. I know what causes this one. You have to turn off using CSS (if I recall correctly) for your conversion with files that do this. Otherwise all the text ends up on the first page, with nothing on the others, and you can't scroll down the first page. Kovid says it's a Stanza problem.
Wha t is CSS?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #162
Berylmary
Enthusiast

Quote:
No, definately not. Stanza for Desktop strips away all formatting. You will not have italic, bold or colored text or anything.
Stick with Calibre!

Does this mean you managed to go from RTF to HTML to EPUB without a problem?
No, I downloaded again from Manybooks in HTML. I had it in RTF at first because one of my ereaders works better with RTF.

Also I had some notes in Word that I wanted on the iPod so I converted them to HTML in Word and that worked OK too.

Thanks for your help.

Calibre is great I agree. I have been looking at other programmes and none work so well.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #163
jodiet
jodiet began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
hi
just wondering if someone can please help ... both hubby and I have the iphone ... his is "fixed" and mine is original ...
he's installed blackra1n into his iphone and since, he couldn't read the calibre online catalog anymore ... mine is still working fine although both of us put in the same server details ...

our firmware is 3.1.2 ..

we're tried so far:

http://ipaddress:8080/stanza

http://ipaddress:8080/

http://ipaddress:8005/

nothing works ... his just keeping timing out without showing the catalogue ...

mine is working fine with the either one of the first 2 options

update 05/march/2010
please ignore as it was our iphone settings that disabled the calibre server ... everything are fixed ...

thanks

Last edited by jodiet; 03-05-2010 at 03:33 AM. Reason: issues fixed ...
jodiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #164
Gabtar
Gabtar began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Stanza reads Mobipocket prc's too

Hi, I had a Palm Tx with mobipocket, and hundreds of non DRM books in prc format. I also had a lot of recipes etc in prc format I created using mobipocket creator for windows. I recently purchased a 32Gb IPod Touch and downloaded Stanza. Stanza desktop reads them all perfectly without converting anything, and I'm gradually sending them to the ipod as required.
Gabtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:21 AM   #165
mores
Guru

Remember, Stanza desktop strips away the formatting. So if you have mobipocket files with bold, italics etc. those will all be gone.
Better use Calibre to send stuff to your iTouch.