Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 06:52 AM   #151
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
They do, don't they? They're actually a kind of cactus. (Dried, maybe?) The photo comes from Wikipedia.

Hm... ginger root... Yum!

sod it ! (pardon my language) I thought they were carved out of wood in mimikry ....
[note to self - must get out more]
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #152
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Well... I can't say for sure that they aren't carvings meant to represent the cacti (and I thought much the same when I first saw the picture), but the caption on the image doesn't seem to indicate that.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #153
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
They look a bit like two-headed teddy bears: very cute.
Fractal teddybear:

ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #154
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Fractal teddybear:

brilliant !!!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #155
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is so excellent.

Thanks!
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #156
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Still playing around with possible 3D fractals. Another example attached below.

I think some behaviors ought to be possible by implementing some very simple rules, e.g.

If Detect(x) within range(y) then do (z)

where x could be a property of another organism, but would most likely be very simple things at first, like "being eaten," and the simplest form of z would probably be "move away from x". But ultimately there could be reactive rules, like "If detect(being eaten) then do (get(color, thing eating me);createRule(if detect(colorOfThingCurrentlyEatingMe) then do (move away from that thing))

And someday there might be organisms that can enrich soil, and if an organism has encountered one of these and is wandering around and sees another one, it might migrate over to sit next to it.

The most advanced stage would be for the organisms to be able to transmit and receive rules. Kind of like how trees, being munched on by Gypsy Moth caterpillars, send out chemical signals to other trees in the area to start changing their metabolism to not be so tasty to caterpillars.

The thing is to come up with a very simple system of encoding the properties and rules, so that emergent behavior can result, meaning organisms with capabilities I had never anticipated, either due to random breeding, or deliberate efforts on the part of players.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ovoid_fractal.png
Views:	186
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	25229  
Old 03-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #157
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #158
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

The server has been more or less unavailable for the past couple of days, making it very difficult for me to check on my eggs and dragons. This isn't helping me to maintain any interest in this game.

But on another note, my brother the hotshot programming professor has become interested in my alternative fractal game... and then some. He's come up with a way that I might be able to use it in my dissertation (and he might be able to get some grant money for writing it). So that could be interesting.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #159
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
The server has been more or less unavailable for the past couple of days, making it very difficult for me to check on my eggs and dragons. This isn't helping me to maintain any interest in this game.

But on another note, my brother the hotshot programming professor has become interested in my alternative fractal game... and then some. He's come up with a way that I might be able to use it in my dissertation (and he might be able to get some grant money for writing it). So that could be interesting.

Brilliant ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #160
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #161
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
So, you've got a radioactive egg?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #162
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I've developed a new way to play, if anyone is interested.

It appears that the soft egg and hatchling sickness can only be caught on the first day, so I no longer display an egg/hatchling on that first day. After that it can be displayed all the time without getting sick.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #163
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I have to keep from displaying them for two days. But that only seems to help with the egg phase-- once they hatch, the hatchlings get sick within the next day. I guess what I'd have to do is manually edit my sig line to remove the hatchlings after they hatch, then put them back in two days later. Too much work for me. (And I haven't been able to get to the site for a couple of days now, so I'm pretty much giving up on the game anyway.)
Old 03-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #164
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

The site is back up. He'd had
Old 03-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #165
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Yes? Had what?