Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #151
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohandlebars View Post
I recently bought an Aura H2O (original) and I went about installing KSM 09 with the update, everything went smoothly and I got USBNet working with telnet but I cannot for the life of me get ssh working. I read earlier in this thread that it was broken for another user so I attempted to apply that patch but no joy. I simply get a 'Connection refused' error.
I understand that you run "configure" and set the key "useDropbear" of the section "general" to "true", and you see now "USBNet support: enabled (plus dropbear), when you enable USBNet". But there is one other step to be done. Dropbear requires that there is a secure password set for root. By default there is no password set for root on the Kobo devices, and you have to set it by yourself using the passwd command.
Quote:
As a side note I originally had the vlasovsoft folder in the .kobo directory and it actually worked fine regardless, I have since moved it to the .adds directory as per the directions in the first post.
When I realised that vlasovsoft needs to be installed in .kobo when it is used without KSM, I redraw me previous decision to support only the .adds folder.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:21 PM   #152
nohandlebars
nohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I understand that you run "configure" and set the key "useDropbear" of the section "general" to "true", and you see now "USBNet support: enabled (plus dropbear), when you enable USBNet". But there is one other step to be done. Dropbear requires that there is a secure password set for root. By default there is no password set for root on the Kobo devices, and you have to set it by yourself using the passwd command.
When I realised that vlasovsoft needs to be installed in .kobo when it is used without KSM, I redraw me previous decision to support only the .adds folder.
Thanks for the quick reply tshering, I have indeed set "useDropbear" to "true" in "general" and I have now used telnet to set a root password but when I enable USBNet I only see "USBNet support: enabled" and I still receive the "Connection refused" error message when I try and ssh in with "ssh root@192.168.2.101"

Last edited by nohandlebars; 03-04-2018 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Typo in IP address
nohandlebars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #153
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
when I enable USBNet I only see "USBNet support: enabled" and I still receive the "Connection refused" error message when I try and ssh in with "ssh root@192.168.2.101"
If you do not see "USBNet support: enabled (plus dropbear)", dropbear is not running. Did you save the changes, after you set "useDropbear" of the section "general" to "true"?
Old 03-05-2018, 05:57 PM   #154
nohandlebars
nohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
If you do not see "USBNet support: enabled (plus dropbear)", dropbear is not running. Did you save the changes, after you set "useDropbear" of the section "general" to "true"?
I did, it is still saved there but no joy. I noticed Dropbear was not running as I did not see it when I ran the 'ps' command through telnet.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #155
nohandlebars

I did some digging and I can only assume that the "usbnet" directory in the latest pbchess package (2018.01.23) has essentially been renamed to "dropbear". I simply made the following change in "usbnet_toggle.sh" and put it in a KoboRoot.tgz

vlasovsoft_usbnet=$vlasovsoftbasedir/usbnet
to
vlasovsoft_usbnet=$vlasovsoftbasedir/dropbear

Everything works as expected now.

Out of curiosity, is it necessary to have the entire pbchess package just for the usbnet and dropbear functionality? If I understand correctly I could simply copy the contents of the "vlasovsoft/dropbear" directory to somewhere like "/.adds/dropbear/" and reference this accordingly in "usbnet_toggle.sh"?
Advert
Old 03-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #156
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I did some digging and I can only assume that the "usbnet" directory in the latest pbchess package (2018.01.23) has essentially been renamed to "dropbear". I simply made the following change in "usbnet_toggle.sh" and put it in a KoboRoot.tgz

vlasovsoft_usbnet=$vlasovsoftbasedir/usbnet
to
vlasovsoft_usbnet=$vlasovsoftbasedir/dropbear

Everything works as expected now.
Thank you for sharing this information. I did not notice that the name had changed.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, is it necessary to have the entire pbchess package just for the usbnet and dropbear functionality? If I understand correctly I could simply copy the contents of the "vlasovsoft/dropbear" directory to somewhere like "/.adds/dropbear/" and reference this accordingly in "usbnet_toggle.sh"?
You are right, you need only the dropbear folder. But be aware that the next KSM update will have to overwrite usbnet_toggle.sh.

Last edited by tshering; 03-06-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:36 AM   #157
gilali
Connoisseur
gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOBO Libra + H2Ov2 + Aura2
FOR KOBO H2Ov2
Koreader is now compatible with KSM09 (update001)

For slasovsoft (pbchess_2018.01.23) :
on KSM08 : rotation is OK
on KSM09 : rotation is UPSIDE down

This patch works for me :
modify /adds/kbmenu/onstart/start_vlasovlauncher.sh
Quote:
case $PRODUCT in
dragon|dahlia|snow ) vlasovsoftrotate="2";;
into
Quote:
case $PRODUCT in
dragon|dahlia ) vlasovsoftrotate="2";;
gilali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #158
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilali View Post
For slasovsoft (pbchess_2018.01.23) :
on KSM08 : rotation is OK
on KSM09 : rotation is UPSIDE down

This patch works for me :
modify /adds/kbmenu/onstart/start_vlasovlauncher.sh
Thank you! I will include the change into the next uupdate.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:55 AM   #159
gilali
Connoisseur
gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOBO Libra + H2Ov2 + Aura2
Thanks to you ! you're welcome
Don't forget to update your first post

Quote:
Note: Koreader does not yet run on H2O2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilali View Post
FOR KOBO H2Ov2
Koreader is now compatible with KSM09 (update001)
(since lastest koreader nightly build)
gilali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #160
tshering
Wizard

Did anybody try Plato on H2O2 under KSM? Is the screen orientation correct? How about other models? If you tell me now, the changes could possibly go into update 2.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:20 AM   #161
Elaxon
Zealot
Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20 Aura
I reset my Kobo H20 Aura and deleted all the books and such to transfer everything back in epub format. One thing I noticed after applying everything is when I transfer the sqlite database made by calibre utilities it kept bootlooping and eventually forcing me to factory reset.

But I managed to restore the read states with Calibre but it seems deleting the books when the sqlite database refers to them will cause a bootloop. Not sure if I could do anything differently.

Also with KSM if I wanted to register with the activation thing in KSM I would have to do configure with usb option at the start and then transfer over KSM and do the activation thing? As it seems I could not get in until I activated.
Elaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:23 AM   #162
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
Quote:
Did anybody try Plato on H2O2 under KSM? Is the screen orientation correct? How about other models? If you tell me now, the changes could possibly go into update 2.
tshering : on KA1 and gloHD , everything is ok with plato
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:31 AM   #163
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaxon View Post
I reset my Kobo H20 Aura and deleted all the books and such to transfer everything back in epub format. One thing I noticed after applying everything is when I transfer the sqlite database made by calibre utilities it kept bootlooping and eventually forcing me to factory reset.

But I managed to restore the read states with Calibre but it seems deleting the books when the sqlite database refers to them will cause a bootloop. Not sure if I could do anything differently.
To be completely successful when restoring the database from a backup (I assume that is what you meant by "database made by calibre utilities"), the books need to be back in the same place as before. Otherwise, the first thing the device will do is compare what is in the database with what is on the disk and start removing the missing books from the database and adding the ones that aren't in the database. And you should shutdown the device as soon as you can after restoring the database and disconnecting the device.

I have done this enough times to know it works if I take care. And I have messed it up enough to now that I need to pay attention to what I am doing. Also, I don't use KSM and don't know if it would affect this, but, I wouldn't expect so if you are using a recent version of KSM.

My guess would be that if a large number of books couldn't be found, the process doing the cleanup might have been seen by sickel as hung and sickel triggered a reboot. I wouldn't have expected a continuous reboot, unless it hadn't actually removed any books from the database before the reboot happened or possibly if the database was corrupted.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:37 AM   #164
wackythrow
wackythrow began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Original
Quick question, and very sorry if you guys get this often, but I acquired a Kobo Original (non-touch screen, has wifi directional buttons on the bottom right corner) and I tried installing Kobo Start Menu without reading anything about it (yep, I'm not very smart) and It has been "booting" into the update ever since.

Is there any way to cancel the update?
wackythrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:38 AM   #165
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I reset my Kobo H20 Aura and deleted all the books and such to transfer everything back in epub format. One thing I noticed after applying everything is when I transfer the sqlite database made by calibre utilities it kept bootlooping and eventually forcing me to factory reset

But I managed to restore the read states with Calibre but it seems deleting the books when the sqlite database refers to them will cause a bootloop. Not sure if I could do anything differently..
I am not sure what you mean by bootlooping in this context. KSM does not care about the books and the sqlite database. Therefore I guess, what you are seeing is that nickel reboots, when you call it. But this does not force you to factory reset the device. It is however different, when you configured KSM so that it calls nickel immediately after boot (a setting that is asking for trouble).

Quote:
Also with KSM if I wanted to register with the activation thing in KSM I would have to do configure with usb option at the start and then transfer over KSM and do the activation thing? As it seems I could not get in until I activated.
I think I do not understand what you are doing. Just for clarification, to "register with the activation thing in KSM" means to bypass activation, unless you edited the scripts so that they contain your personal data. What exactly do you "transfer over KSM"?

Last edited by tshering; 03-14-2018 at 06:43 AM.