Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #151
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm going with luck. I would think Windows ejects the same whether you use the notification area or the drive.

Do you use Calibre? I always eject from there and haven't had issues ejecting the Glowlight 3.
If I eject from the USB icon in the notification area, my ereaders just sit there until I manually unplug them. If I eject from File Explorer (right click on the drive and eject) or using SmartEject from within calibre, the ereader disconnects and processes the transferred files without needing to be unplugged.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:40 PM   #152
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Can someone PM and tell me how to install the update. I tried to add it to my GL3 but it di dnot work. do I drop it to a specific folder on my nook?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #153
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Can someone PM and tell me how to install the update. I tried to add it to my GL3 but it di dnot work. do I drop it to a specific folder on my nook?

nevermind I found instructions online
Old 01-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #154
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
No, I haven't been using Calibre.

Logically, it would seem there should be no difference between the two methods. If there were, then perhaps B&N could fix it.
I suppose. But I've had trouble using Windows to eject both my Nook and my Kobo.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:50 PM   #155
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
nevermind I found instructions online
Did it work for you?
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 05:16 AM   #156
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If I eject from the USB icon in the notification area, my ereaders just sit there until I manually unplug them. If I eject from File Explorer (right click on the drive and eject) or using SmartEject from within calibre, the ereader disconnects and processes the transferred files without needing to be unplugged.
Aha! So it's not just me!

David, do you have the Glowlight 3? Which Windows version are you using? I'm going to write a little note to B&N customer service.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #157
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Aha! So it's not just me!

David, do you have the Glowlight 3? Which Windows version are you using? I'm going to write a little note to B&N customer service.
No, I don't own a Glowlight 3. As a Canadian, B&N products are not supported and hence a bit useless. I noticed this behaviour on my Kobo ereaders, a Tolino epos and a Kindle Paperwhite. This is with Windows 10 x64.

I've handled a Glowlight 3 in store on a couple of occasions and two of my cousins in the Bellingham area of Washington own GL3s. I helped one to update her GL3 to the beta update so she had more space for her manga collection.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-06-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:28 PM   #158
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I noticed this behaviour on my Kobo ereaders, a Tolino epos and a Kindle Paperwhite. This is with Windows 10 x64.
Thanks, David. Your experience suggests that it's a Windows issue, and that B&N won't be able to do anything about it.

I wonder why the notification area icon doesn't eject the ereaders properly.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #159
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Thanks, David. Your experience suggests that it's a Windows issue, and that B&N won't be able to do anything about it.

I wonder why the notification area icon doesn't eject the ereaders properly.
I suspect the notification area flushes the write cache and removes the device without unmounting the device while the other two ways flush the cache and unmount the device. Back in Sept. 2013, JimmXinu and Kovid Goyal had a discussion about ejecting a device under Windows and there were changes made in how calibre ejected a device to a method which did a flush cache and unmount. Reference was made to a Microsoft Knowledge Base item. How To Ejecting Removable Media in Windows NT/Windows 2000/Windows XP -- grammar courtesy of Microsoft.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #160
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
I suppose. But I've had trouble using Windows to eject both my Nook and my Kobo.
I had the same problem. I think I first ejected it using the taskbar USB icon and that didn't work. I still had the Nook visible in Explorer. So I ejected it in Explorer and that worked.

I don't have my Nook in front of me at the moment so I can't test it but it's possible I might have that backwards. I haven't done it in a couple of days. I do know that one way works and the other doesn't.

To be safe I just leave Explorer pointed at the Nook when I eject and if it doesn't go away I do it the other way.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #161
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Did it work for you?
No it did not. I downloaded the link here. followed instructions there. no luck
Old 01-07-2018, 12:34 AM   #162
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
No it did not. I downloaded the link here. followed instructions there. no luck
You should be able to just dump the update.zip folder on the Nook and eject the reader. Mine took a minute or two to recognize it, then started the update.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:28 AM   #163
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
I suspect the notification area flushes the write cache and removes the device without unmounting the device while the other two ways flush the cache and unmount the device. Back in Sept. 2013, JimmXinu and Kovid Goyal had a discussion about ejecting a device under Windows and there were changes made in how calibre ejected a device to a method which did a flush cache and unmount. Reference was made to a Microsoft Knowledge Base item. How To Ejecting Removable Media in Windows NT/Windows 2000/Windows XP -- grammar courtesy of Microsoft.
Thanks again, David. This is very good to know. Using that notification area icon lead to my NOOK being so corrupted that I had to erase and deregister - twice! Now I feel that I can use the device without risking that every time I connect to the PC.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #164
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
That seems strange. Why would Microsoft make Eject behave differently in two different areas? This seems destined to cause user issues.

(I'm not arguing you are incorrect. Just saying it's a weird programming decision by MS.)
Old 01-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #165
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I agree that that's weird and I doubt it's the result of any decision made by MS. It's probably a bug.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote