Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-22-2016, 05:25 AM   #151
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Some feature requests:
  • A way to remove the header. It is too near to the text, distracting. Or at least make it faded or something.
  • A way to add my own typefaces. Both Hyphen and Marvin have this.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #152
Cloudmaker
Cloudmaker began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Any chance to get popup footnotes in epub books? Very usable feature, just like in iBooks.
Cloudmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #153
pugsley
pugsley began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Somewhere in a previous post (which I cannot find at the moment) you had said you were going to change how defined words were shown - at the moment, once you define a word it stays highlighted, even with Display Vocabulary turned off. Any chance to fix this in coming updates? Thanks.
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:09 PM   #154
bookwormboy
bookwormboy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaylor View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. More Asian fonts will be added to the Text Font and Heading Font menus in the next version of MapleRead.
Thanks for the fonts in the new version!
bookwormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #155
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->L2->iOS/CBW
Thanks sbaylor for the Christmas present! The metadata swiping is awesome!
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #156
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Prefer-Zoom is awesome!

Quote:
What's New in MapleRead 1.6.2
  1. Introduced Prefer-Zoom for PDF reading:
    Prefer-Zoom can automatically zoom and pan to where you prefer when you go to a new page. It saves you the hassle of repeatedly setting the same preferred zoom factor and initial reading position per book for more comfortable reading experience in portrait and landscape orientation respectively.
Prefer-Zoom is awesome!

I'm going to show off this cool and unique feature to my bookworm friends at Christmas and New Year parties and tell them about your great promotion deals too.

Prefer-Zoom is indeed a feature that is much much easier to appreciate when you try it yourself than just reading the description. Kind of like a lot of good stuff about the iPhone in the first place when it was first introduced.

and Merry
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #157
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsley View Post
Somewhere in a previous post (which I cannot find at the moment) you had said you were going to change how defined words were shown - at the moment, once you define a word it stays highlighted, even with Display Vocabulary turned off. Any chance to fix this in coming updates? Thanks.
@pugsley, I've found the post by sbaylor that you referred to. It's Post #200 on page 14 of the good old BookMaster thread.

There is no bug. Once Display Vocabulary is turned off, it stays off until you perform Define on a word. What we, at least I, really want is an option to NOT to collect the word as part of the vocabulary. If a word is not part of the vocab, then it clearly follows that it will not be vocab-highlighted in any case. I believe this is exactly what sbaylor proposed.

@sbaylor, please don't forget to add a new switch for this auto-vocab-collection, as you described earlier, at your earliest convenience. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #158
sbaylor
Addict
sbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad, iPad mini, iPhone
Thank you all for your compliments!

As for the proposed auto-vocab-collection option, thank you for the reminder. It will be available in the next version of MapleRead.
sbaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:59 PM   #159
sbaylor
Addict
sbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
Any chance to get popup footnotes in epub books? Very usable feature, just like in iBooks.
Will look into it. It's on our to-do list.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:50 AM   #160
sbaylor
Addict

Importing books

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
I have a question regarding PC Upload. Is there a way to choose which set to upload a book? Right now they all go to the default "Ungrouped" set so I then have to take extra steps to get the book into the correct set.
As of v1.6.2, newly imported books (via iTunes, Websites, PC Upload, etc.) always go to "Ungrouped". I propose to change the rule such that newly imported books will always go to the current book set instead. Any objection?
Old 12-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #161
pugsley
pugsley began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
I vote for keeping it as is. I import books that belong to several different sets at a time. If in Ungrouped, it is easy to move them. If they were to go into a specific book set, I would have to go back and change sets before importing each group of books. The way it is takes fewer steps and it is easy to see the books I just imported.
The only other way to do it (in my opinion) would be to allow a choice at import of which set to import into. But the current way is one of the things that sets this app apart from others. Thanks.

Quote:
As of v1.6.2, newly imported books (via iTunes, Websites, PC Upload, etc.) always go to "Ungrouped". I propose to change the rule such that newly imported books will always go to the current book set instead. Any objection?
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:34 PM   #162
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Quote:
I vote for keeping it as is. I import books that belong to several different sets at a time. If in Ungrouped, it is easy to move them. If they were to go into a specific book set, I would have to go back and change sets before importing each group of books. The way it is takes fewer steps and it is easy to see the books I just imported.
The only other way to do it (in my opinion) would be to allow a choice at import of which set to import into. But the current way is one of the things that sets this app apart from others. Thanks.
I agree with your second to last sentence (highlighted) as it would be my preferred choice. But if it is too hard to implement, then I have no problem leaving it as is (even though it takes a minimum of 8 steps to move books).

Hmm, perhaps the current way could be one setting and the "choose set at import" could be another setting in the preferences?

Last edited by romad; 12-30-2016 at 12:37 PM.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:10 PM   #163
cedhax
Addict

Quote:
I think the existing scheme that importing always go to "Ungrouped" (and by definition "All Books" of course) is very good. It's easy for me to figure out which are the newly imported books if the books are sorted by Date Added (to MapleRead library). Moving books one or multiple at a time from one book set to another is already very convenient. I'm very happy with the current solution.

As book importing can be done in the background, I can switch book sets multiple times during the period. It may be hard for me to keep track of which book sets are for which imported books. Asking me for the book set to be imported to seems inconvenient to me. Moreover, what will happen if I delete some book set in the middle of a batch import? I'm sure you can work out a self-consistent solution finally. But is it worthwhile to do so?

Anyway, if you're going to make a change to the current solution, please make it optional such that I can turn it off, and still enjoy the current solution. Thanks.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #164
sbaylor
Addict

Quote:
In light of the discussions about this suggestion, the developer team has decided to keep the status quo, i.e., newly imported books always going to "Ungrouped" and "All Books".
Old 01-04-2017, 06:56 PM   #165
sbaylor
Addict

Redefine 'Define'

Thanks to your feedback. All of the issues raised in the following posts regarding Define/Dictionary Lookup/User-defined Dictionary/Display Vocabulary/Disabling auto-vocab-collection will be resolved in the next version of MapleRead (v1.6.3) expected to be available on the App Store by the end of this week. Stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
If there was a user defined option there to specify another user defined look-up that would be very nice.

Let me illustrate with an example. I subscribe to an online dictionary ordbogen.com
Say you want to know the meaning of "horse" then you can send this to a browser:
http://www.ordbogen.com/opslag.php?word=horse&dict=auto
It could be generalized in Bookmaster as (example) an option
http://www.ordbogen.com/opslag.php?word=%s&dict=auto
The new "Set My Dictionary" feature will let you enter, for example,
http://www.ordbogen.com/opslag.php?word={word}&dict=auto
or
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/{word}
so that your dictionary instead of the built-in iOS dictionary will be used for the existing context menu command Define.

Quote:
I switched to Bookmaster earlier this year (2016) and find it the best reader I have used so far for iOS (on iPad mini). I have been reading about Marvin 3 and took a look, but will stay with Bookmaster. In my opinion it is cleaner, more elegant, suits my needs well.
One request - the option to turn vocabulary off within a book does not stay off. If I define a word then turn off the vocabulary display, it turns itself back on the next time I define a word. ...
Quote:
The relevant switch is called "Display Vocabulary", which controls the "display" of vocab highlighting, but not the auto-vocab-collection implied by using Define. After the final (not beta) iPhone version is released (soon), we'll add a new switch for this auto-vocab-collection, as you have requested. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
@pugsley, I've found the post by sbaylor that you referred to. It's Post #200 on page 14 of the good old BookMaster thread.

There is no bug. Once Display Vocabulary is turned off, it stays off until you perform Define on a word. What we, at least I, really want is an option to NOT to collect the word as part of the vocabulary. If a word is not part of the vocab, then it clearly follows that it will not be vocab-highlighted in any case. I believe this is exactly what sbaylor proposed.

@sbaylor, please don't forget to add a new switch for this auto-vocab-collection, as you described earlier, at your earliest convenience. Thanks!
A new switch Vocab Builder will enable/disable automatic collection of "defined" words into the Vocab list (next to Notes).
The existing switch Display Vocabulary will still show/hide vocab highlights on book pages. Thus, if you want to stop building up (adding to) the Vocab list and prefer hiding all vocab highlights, then turn off both switches. Enjoy!

Tags
mapleread