Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #151
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
@JSWolf: now if only the device itself was white instead of black, it would be perfect for me. But with black I need a bit of a border...
If you do increase the font size, you will get a slightly larger space before the footer as a full line won't fit. And the line height also makes a difference in the spacing. I just happen to have the font size and the line height set such that it runs close. And you can set the left/right margins via the UI easily if you want larger.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #152
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are the patches for my custom footer style/size for 3.18.0.

Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom reading footer style`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Multi-version patch: 3.15.0 - 3.18.0+
#
# This patch customises the following properties of the reading footer:
#
#  * Footer height (the amount of the screen reserved for the footer.)
#  * Caption font size (Caption = page number or other progress indicator)
#  * Caption top margin, which changes its vertical position within the footer.
#
# When editing the replacement values below, BE CAREFUL NOT TO CHANGE THE LENGTH
# OF THE REPLACEMENT STRING! If a replacement string is too long you will get
# an error when making the patch, but if one is too short then there will be no
# error, but strange things will happen to the reading footer.
#
find_base_address = `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;`
#
# Replacement footer height values: Touch/Mini
replace_string = 0011, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 32px;`
replace_string = 0024, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 32px;`
# Replacement footer height values: Glo/Aura
replace_string = 0085, `min-height: 82px;`, `min-height: 40px;`
replace_string = 0098, `max-height: 82px;`, `max-height: 40px;`
# Replacement footer height values: AuraHD/H2O/GloHD
replace_string = 00DA, `min-height: 120px;`, `min-height: 030px;`
replace_string = 00EE, `max-height: 120px;`, `max-height: 030px;`
#
#
find_base_address = `#caption {\n\tfont-size: 16px;`
Replace_string = 0000, `#caption {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix="true"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDragon="true"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum="true"] {\n\tfont-size: 30px;\n}\n\n#caption[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: Sans-SerifJP;\n}`, `#caption {font-size: 16px;margin-top: 00px;}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix="true"] {font-size: 20px;}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDragon="true"] {font-size: 26px;}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum="true"] {font-size: 30px;}\n#caption[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {font-family: Sans-SerifJP;}`
#
# Replacement caption font size value for Touch/Mini:
replace_string = 000A, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 16px;`
# Replacement caption font size value for Glo/Aura:
replace_string = 0054, `font-size: 20px;`, `font-size: 20px;`
# Replacement caption font size value for AuraHD/H2O:
replace_string = 008C, `font-size: 26px;`, `font-size: 26px;`
# Replacement caption font size value for GloHD:
replace_string = 00C5, `font-size: 30px;`, `font-size: 30px;`
#
# Replacement caption top margin value for all devices:
# (A negative top margin moves the caption text upwards,
# further from the bezel and closer to the page content.)
replace_string = 001A, `margin-top: 00px;`, `margin-top:-10px;`
#
# Uncomment to use a fixed replacement caption font family, for all devices:
# (You can change Avenir to another font name of your choice, but Avenir or
# Georgia are recommended because other fonts may not be loaded when the book
# is first opened and so might cause problems. Unlike other strings it is OK
# if this replacement string is a bit longer or shorter than the original.)
#replace_string = 00D7, `#caption[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {font-family: Sans-SerifJP;}`, `#caption {font-family: Avenir;}
</Patch>

<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom footer`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Multi-version patch: 2.8.1 - 3.18.0+
#
# Changes the footer text with something shorter
# (not sure how it affects translations)
#
find_base_address = `Page %1 <i>of</i> %2`
replace_string = 0000, `Page %1 <i>of</i> %2`, `%1 / %2`
</Patch>
Advert
Old 09-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #153
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovesflying View Post
If I do downgrade my FW, will the reading stats be affected? I read that a factory reset is recommended for that but I don't really want to reset my stats, unless the backup by Calibre will still work even if the downgraded FW is different from the FW of the backup.
When downgrading firmware, you should do a factory reset. But, in most cases, if you are only going back a version or two, you are safe. In this case there is a database change between 3.17.3 and 3.18.0 that could cause a problem. A column was removed from the user table. If the 3.17.3 might fail if it attempts to use that column. But, looking back, it looks like you are planning to go back to 3.12. In that case, I would recommend the factory reset.
Quote:
Oh Kobo, your releases are getting buggier and buggier.
I will have to disagree with you on that. Looking back at your post about bugs, you mention one that no-one else has reported for a very long time, something that I just checked and doesn't happen here, a definite bug that has been in several firmware versions, a change that might be deliberate (people have complained about something and this would be a solution) and a fix to a recent cosmetic problem. Based on that, I can't agree with you.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #154
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
John F want to make a sort of summary in every firmware thread and reserve a post for it.. I think the right place isn't here but in the firmware thread but that is already maintained by Murg,and I agree that the one will started the threat is also the one who maintains it..but John F wants to do it also because he doesn't like it that persons need to read the whole firmware thread to know all "ups and downs".
I won't be using the Direct Links thread to keep track of the contents of the releases. That thread is only for accessing the releases. And listing major issues with a release.

It is a lot of work to maintain the first post, and it will be even a lotter more work to try to keep track of the changes, especially as some people seem to have problems while others are problem-free.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:42 PM   #155
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Here are some other things that are not officially supported by Kobo:

* Using the built-in web browser
* Sideloading KePubs
* Using Calibre to sideload (and much more)
* Installing third-party software
* Patching the firmware

How many people here don't depend on at least one of those things to make their reading experience better?
I don't.
Advert
Old 10-01-2015, 01:08 AM   #156
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Let's not argue about which features are most important. Plenty of people use things like FullScreenReading=true, and plenty of people get along without it. It's not a race!
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:14 AM   #157
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
Let's not argue about which features are most important. Plenty of people use things like FullScreenReading=true, and plenty of people get along without it. It's not a race!
The issue is not who uses FullScreenReading=true or not but that some are calling bugs when it doesn't work as expected when it's not even a beta feature.

It's not a bug when it's not beta and not meant to be used. Find some other term to call it because bug is incorrect.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:18 AM   #158
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The issue is not who uses FullScreenReading=true or not but that some are calling bugs when it doesn't work as expected when it's not even a beta feature.

It's not a bug when it's not beta and not meant to be used. Find some other term to call it because bug is incorrect.
No, it is still a bug. It is just not one that Kobo will pay any official attention to.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:41 AM   #159
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:

Not discussing again,but even when you use an undocumented option that causes a device to act this strange, you can still call it a bug,because it wasn't there before, since a lot of functions are integrated into each other,you can never know which "legal" option can trigger it to as the resfresh part is used a lot more then only by reading.
Imagine how much (more sigh) disaster by example Windows would be if the Microsoft designers are acting the same "oh it is not documented so don't bother it.. "
"Messing around" and find something that is not intended to be found but still can let,in the worse case scenario and not with this "bug", crash the device is something that must be told to the developers.
A bug is a bug,even when it isn't in a documented part of the software, we can not know which else it does,and what else can trigger it.

Kobo build it into their software so they are going to do something with it, a lot of other options in the config file doesn't work anymore,this option is still there and we have no idea if it can be triggered by a normal feature of the device until someone discovers it.
If a never used software routine would be still in the I.S.S. station (i know there are some) and an action of one of the astronauts by accident trigger it,and the whole station vaporised.. i know for sure the developers down here would call it a bug, documented or not.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:24 AM   #160
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I like using Charis on my Glo HD but I'm getting problems with split lines of text, like the text is cut off, the top half of the words are at the bottom of the page with the bottom of the words on the top of the next page. It's only happening with Charis, not the stock fonts.

Any idea how I can stop that?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:39 AM   #161
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I like using Charis on my Glo HD but I'm getting problems with split lines of text, like the text is cut off, the top half of the words are at the bottom of the page with the bottom of the words on the top of the next page. It's only happening with Charis, not the stock fonts.

Any idea how I can stop that?
Try increasing the line spacing until it stops happening. The KEPUB reader can't handle it when the lines are too close together, but how close depends on the font being used.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #162
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Try increasing the line spacing until it stops happening. The KEPUB reader can't handle it when the lines are too close together, but how close depends on the font being used.
Thank you, I'll try that.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #163
outlandos
Connoisseur
outlandos doesn't litteroutlandos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, it is still a bug. It is just not one that Kobo will pay any official attention to.
I really agree with davidfor here.
outlandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #164
murg
No Comment

Quote:
A feature is a bug in a tuxedo.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #165
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I will have to disagree with you on that. Looking back at your post about bugs, you mention one that no-one else has reported for a very long time, something that I just checked and doesn't happen here, a definite bug that has been in several firmware versions, a change that might be deliberate (people have complained about something and this would be a solution) and a fix to a recent cosmetic problem. Based on that, I can't agree with you.
Then let's just agree to disagree because that's what I've been feeling with the last several firmware updates, at least on my Aura. And thank you for all your help.
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote