Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-19-2022, 08:25 AM   #151
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
It's a shame that almost every expert in one field has to give advice on other fields they know nothing about.

I don't ask Neal Stephenson about prostate problem solutions or my IT colleague about plumbing problems in my bath.

I think, at least for me, e-books are of high value. Prices got down considerably. Likewise, I started with an iRex Iliad, which cost me a fortune (for a student). Now you can get a decent e-book reader, at least for basic reading, for a few bucks.

So, could it be cheaper and better? Sure, but keep it on a realistic level.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 05:41 PM   #152
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
It's a shame that almost every expert in one field has to give advice on other fields they know nothing about.

I don't ask Neal Stephenson about prostate problem solutions or my IT colleague about plumbing problems in my bath.

I think, at least for me, e-books are of high value. Prices got down considerably. Likewise, I started with an iRex Iliad, which cost me a fortune (for a student). Now you can get a decent e-book reader, at least for basic reading, for a few bucks.

So, could it be cheaper and better? Sure, but keep it on a realistic level.
Wahl, considering that Doctorow made this prediction 14 years ago and we're all, still, by and large, using eReaders, even if "only" at home and not on the run, I'd say that it's e-Inks 1, Doctorow 0.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2022, 06:17 PM   #153
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Wahl, considering that Doctorow made this prediction 14 years ago and we're all, still, by and large, using eReaders, even if "only" at home and not on the run, I'd say that it's e-Inks 1, Doctorow 0.

Hitch
The MobileRead community tends to be hardcore readers. This is the group that would prefer a dedicated e-Ink reader, rather than using their tablet or phone. The average person doesn't see the virtue of a dedicated e-Ink reader, just for reading content.

I'd say it is e-Inks 1, Doctorow 1.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 06:38 PM   #154
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
If the assertion was that the devices were a dead end, then the recent growth in dedicated e-ink readers with note-taking and aubiobook capabilities suggests he was wrong, imo. The devices have evolved and are evolving.
Uncle Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:41 PM   #155
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
The MobileRead community tends to be hardcore readers. This is the group that would prefer a dedicated e-Ink reader, rather than using their tablet or phone.
While that is undoubtedly true, the MobileRead community isn't made up of every person who reads on an e-ink reader. They are still being made with new models released every couple of years.

Are they niche devices? Sure. But in that same amount of time, look at what has happened to book stores.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2022, 10:45 PM   #156
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The MobileRead community tends to be hardcore readers. This is the group that would prefer a dedicated e-Ink reader, rather than using their tablet or phone. The average person doesn't see the virtue of a dedicated e-Ink reader, just for reading content.

I'd say it is e-Inks 1, Doctorow 1.
I'm not actually going on this, based upon MR's contingent alone. I have thousands of clients (yeah, it surprises me too) and of those (about 5K) a shockingly high number have, yup, you got it, eInks. My clients are shockingly low-tech; most of them don't know how to download from a browser, or side-load. Hell, they can't find their Downloads folder. Nonetheless, bless their little non-tecchie hearts--they have eInks.

I'll stick with eInks 1, Doctorow 0.

Hitch
Old 12-20-2022, 08:25 AM   #157
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
While that is undoubtedly true, the MobileRead community isn't made up of every person who reads on an e-ink reader. They are still being made with new models released every couple of years.

Are they niche devices? Sure. But in that same amount of time, look at what has happened to book stores.
I prefer to read on my Surface Pro. The weight doesn't bother me, and I have Calibre and my Compleat library installed. Read on what you like and are comfortable with. I never expect others to like the same things I do. In fact, I usually find that the opposite is true.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:19 AM   #158
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Everybody I know who reads books at all has a Kindle. (I'm the lone one who has branched out to a Kobo). But I'm probably in a very specific demographic.
Me too. I have friends with kindles who couldn’t even download a book to their PC let alone manage a kobo or calibre
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:21 AM   #159
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Me too. I have friends with kindles who couldn’t even download a book to their PC let alone manage a kobo or calibre
OMG, that's my clientele. Couldn't side-load to save their lives.

Hitch
Old 12-20-2022, 09:36 AM   #160
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
The average person doesn't see the virtue of a dedicated e-Ink reader, just for reading content.
The "average person" again. If I ever get my hands on him, we're going to have words!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:42 AM   #161
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I prefer to read on my Surface Pro. The weight doesn't bother me, and I have Calibre and my Compleat library installed. Read on what you like and are comfortable with. I never expect others to like the same things I do. In fact, I usually find that the opposite is true.
Apache
I wouldn't want to read novels on my Surface, but I do like to read comics on it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:43 AM   #162
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
The "average person" again. If I ever get my hands on him, we're going to have words!
IF that's true--and I'm not really arguing this--then why do so many of my absolutely average customers all have them???

Hitch
Old 12-20-2022, 10:38 AM   #163
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I'm not actually going on this, based upon MR's contingent alone. I

I'll stick with eInks 1, Doctorow 0.

Hitch
It will soon be 18 years since the first eink came out.
Companies are stiil producing better ones and there is choice of size and if stylus or not. They were only about 3 years old (Amazon 1 yo) when Doctorow rubbished the ideas of dedicated ereaders and ebooks.
SF writers and Futurists are usually worse than Fortune Tellers at the future (The successful Fortune Tellers cheat).
SF is after all primarily entertainment.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-20-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 03:11 PM   #164
jmurphy
Zealot
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:
IF that's true--and I'm not really arguing this--then why do so many of my absolutely average customers all have them???

Hitch
Might I suggest that your average CUSTOMER is not average?
The average person doesn't even pay to read.
Your average customer is paying to have ebooks produced. The average person doesn't do that.

So I dunno why so many of your customers have einks, but I assume it has something to do with their aspirations as writers.
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 06:59 PM   #165
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy View Post
Might I suggest that your average CUSTOMER is not average?
The average person doesn't even pay to read.
Your average customer is paying to have ebooks produced. The average person doesn't do that.

So I dunno why so many of your customers have einks, but I assume it has something to do with their aspirations as writers.
I'm sure that my customers will be touched to think that you believe that they are not, in fact, average, but above-average. :-)

I tend to think that folks who don't really understand email, that don't understand how to download from a browser, or file formats, or why file extensions matter, or any of that stuff, really are pretty average, from a tech standpoint. No? I'm almost afraid to ask what you think the typical tech knowledge is, then, from an "average" person?

Hitch