Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #151
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have found that exercise will increase my metabolism and it is also free.
Apache
Not if you have to buy a treadmill, or get a membership at the YMCA, or pay fees to use a local public swimming pool, or join a fitness center, or hire a personal trainer, or . . . .
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #152
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have been a practitioner of the Martial Arts for over 45 years. All I need is an open space and if I am desperate I do not even need that.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #153
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FREE Pdf Cookbook--Most Recent Edition of, Texture: A hydrocolloid recipe collection.

I know, "hydrocolloids" sound like something gross. And, they are used in some pretty gross things. But I won't tell you about those. ha

However, a hydrocolloid, the foreword of the book says, "can simply be defined as a substance that forms a gel in contact with water." The word "texture" in the title of the book gives us a clue about what it is used for--many times, this substance is used to create texture in a food. At least one thing that it does is to thicken the food. In fact, we eat hydrocolloids all of the time, with most of us not realizing it--it's in many of the processed foods that we buy.

And, many of the common ingredients that we frequently use to cook with are hydrocolloids or contain hydrocolloids--for example, cornstarch, gelatin (think: Jello), and pectin (think: SureGel). Now, that doesn't sound so bad, does it? In fact, there are health benefits to eating these (see the Foreword to the book).

The book appears not to be sold at Amazon.com, so it doesn't show up there, and it does not show up at GoodReads, so I have no ratings or reviews to share with you. However, it has been through several editions since it was first published in 2007; I think that that speaks well of it. I would say about the book, "let the buyer beware," but, well, you can't buy it. ha

The book contains many color photographs of the completed dishes (the recipes with the photos have been tested). Also, there are a number of quaint line drawings that add visual interest, too.

The recipes are in metric units.

Title: Texture: A Hydrocolloid Recipe Collection.
Format(s): Pdf.
Author(s): Martin Lersch (editor).
Publisher: Khymos.org?
Pages: 138.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews (Amazon): N/A.
Price: $0.00.
Lowest Price at (or through Amazon) if available there: N/A.
Book Description (from the Foreword):
One major challenge (at least for an amateur cook) is to find recipes and directions to utilize the “new” hydrocolloids. When purchasing hydrocolloids, typically only a few recipes are included. Personally I like to browse several recipes to get an idea of the different possibilities when cooking. Therefore I have collected a number of recipes which utilize hydrocolloids ranging from agar to xanthan. In addition to these some recipes with lecithin (not technically a hydrocolloid) have been included. Recipes for foams and gels that do not call for addition of hydrocolloids have also been included for completeness. Some cornstarch recipes have been included to illustrate its properties at different concentrations. However, recipes with other starches have been omitted. Similarly, recipes where flour is the only thickener do not fall within the scope of this collection as these are sufficiently covered by other cook books . . . .

Given the many recent books about molecular gastronomy and modernist cuisine I have certainly asked myself: Is there a need for a revision of Texture? Since you read this I obviously landed on a "yes". As a toolbox for chefs and amateur cooks I still believe that this collection is unique for several reasons: the ranking of recipes according to the amount of hydrocolloid used, the texture index and the total number of recipes. To the best of my knowledge no other cook books have taken the same approach to collect and systemize recipes this way. And judging by the feedback I have received many chefs and food enthusiasts around the world have found
Texture to be a useful resource in the kitchen . . . .
Comments: The copyright notice in the books says, "This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0." Therefore, I believe this to be a legal free download. Also, the book states inside, of itself, that it is a free download from the website at the URL below.
Unported License
URL: http://blog.khymos.org/wp-content/20...ction-v3.0.pdf (direct link).
Old 03-07-2016, 01:04 AM   #154
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I know, "hydrocolloids" sound like something gross. And, they are used in some pretty gross things. But I won't tell you about those. ha

However, a hydrocolloid, the foreword of the book says, "can simply be defined as a substance that forms a gel in contact with water." The word "texture" in the title of the book gives us a clue about what it is used for--many times, this substance is used to create texture in a food. At least one thing that it does is to thicken the food. In fact, we eat hydrocolloids all of the time, with most of us not realizing it--it's in many of the processed foods that we buy.

And, many of the common ingredients that we frequently use to cook with are hydrocolloids or contain hydrocolloids--for example, cornstarch, gelatin (think: Jello), and pectin (think: SureGel). Now, that doesn't sound so bad, does it? In fact, there are health benefits to eating these (see the Foreword to the book).

The book appears not to be sold at Amazon.com, so it doesn't show up there, and it does not show up at GoodReads, so I have no ratings or reviews to share with you. However, it has been through several editions since it was first published in 2007; I think that that speaks well of it. I would say about the book, "let the buyer beware," but, well, you can't buy it. ha

The book contains many color photographs of the completed dishes (the recipes with the photos have been tested). Also, there are a number of quaint line drawings that add visual interest, too.

The recipes are in metric units.

Title: Texture: A Hydrocolloid Recipe Collection.
Format(s): Pdf.
Author(s): Martin Lersch (editor).
Publisher: Khymos.org?
Pages: 138.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews (Amazon): N/A.
Price: $0.00.
Lowest Price at (or through Amazon) if available there: N/A.
Book Description (from the Foreword):
One major challenge (at least for an amateur cook) is to find recipes and directions to utilize the “new” hydrocolloids. When purchasing hydrocolloids, typically only a few recipes are included. Personally I like to browse several recipes to get an idea of the different possibilities when cooking. Therefore I have collected a number of recipes which utilize hydrocolloids ranging from agar to xanthan. In addition to these some recipes with lecithin (not technically a hydrocolloid) have been included. Recipes for foams and gels that do not call for addition of hydrocolloids have also been included for completeness. Some cornstarch recipes have been included to illustrate its properties at different concentrations. However, recipes with other starches have been omitted. Similarly, recipes where flour is the only thickener do not fall within the scope of this collection as these are sufficiently covered by other cook books . . . .

Given the many recent books about molecular gastronomy and modernist cuisine I have certainly asked myself: Is there a need for a revision of Texture? Since you read this I obviously landed on a "yes". As a toolbox for chefs and amateur cooks I still believe that this collection is unique for several reasons: the ranking of recipes according to the amount of hydrocolloid used, the texture index and the total number of recipes. To the best of my knowledge no other cook books have taken the same approach to collect and systemize recipes this way. And judging by the feedback I have received many chefs and food enthusiasts around the world have found
Texture to be a useful resource in the kitchen . . . .
Comments: The copyright notice in the books says, "This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0." Therefore, I believe this to be a legal free download. Also, the book states inside, of itself, that it is a free download from the website at the URL below.
Unported License
URL: http://blog.khymos.org/wp-content/20...ction-v3.0.pdf (direct link).
Actually, gelatin does sound disgusting to me. Do you know how it's made?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:54 AM   #155
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Yes I do.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #156
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Actually, gelatin does sound disgusting to me. Do you know how it's made?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Yes I do.
Apache
Don't tell me, I don't want to know.

I used to enjoy sausage, with all of its various iterations--pepperoni, bologna, breakfast sausage, weiners, etc. Then, I learned what it was almost always made from. I haven't (intentionally) eaten it since. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #157
GA Russell
Bombers, Elks now 0-3
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Camp Smart Cookbook - free
http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Smart-Coo...dp/B00USBHF7C/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #158
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Don't tell me, I don't want to know.

I used to enjoy sausage, with all of its various iterations--pepperoni, bologna, breakfast sausage, weiners, etc. Then, I learned what it was almost always made from. I haven't (intentionally) eaten it since. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
I'll just make you some Rocky Mountain oysters or some calf fries.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #159
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Oysters? From the Rocky Mountains? I don't see how. (I'm just playing dumb).

Calf fries . . . I don't know what they are, and please don't tell me. I'm squeamish.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #160
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Oysters? From the Rocky Mountains? I don't see how. (I'm just playing dumb).

Calf fries . . . I don't know what they are, and please don't tell me. I'm squeamish.
If you actually know what Rocky Mountain oysters are, then you know what calf fries are.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #161
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If you actually know what Rocky Mountain oysters are, then you know what calf fries are.
I can't figure it out, please tell us.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:19 AM   #162
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Quote:
Some calves have two and others have none....

Ranchers get a surplus when the calves become steers...
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:26 AM   #163
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
But calf fries are the southern equivalent of caviar.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:14 AM   #164
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
But calf fries are the southern equivalent of caviar.
I think you have it backwards.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:46 PM   #165
GA Russell
Bombers, Elks now 0-3
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Twenty years ago there was a country band popular in Canada called Prairie Oyster. Same thing, I think.

Top 10 Diet Myths that are Keeping You Fat - 99 cents
http://www.amazon.com/Top-Diet-Myths...dp/B00RLZF8L8/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote