Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #151
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It would make a difference only if you wished to store kfx files, obtained from a device which supports them.
That is true. But I have so far only stored I'm my calibre files that I want to be able to view from other devices or move them to other devices.
So far I have not had any issues with Amazon storing my ebooks that I get from them. But I have had to edit a fair number of them to clean up misprints.
I know I am not a great speller and never made that great a grades in English class, but I sure do get upset with having to guess at times what the book is saying and I find that a lot with some ebooks. I have seen issues with the ebook with misspells and mistypes and go to the paper book and they are not there. It seems that they are not editing the ebooks very well.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #152
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Would that even make a difference seeing that you do not get a kfx file when you down load to Kindle for PC
Quote:
It would make a difference only if you wished to store kfx files, obtained from a device which supports them.
Quote:
That is true. But I have so far only stored I'm my calibre files that I want to be able to view from other devices or move them to other devices.
Hello, linux here. K4PC on WINE is a PITA.

Anything that makes it more difficult to import and backup your books wherever they may be is not wonderful news.

I have always added books from my Kindle Touch, I don't need additional software installed just to download my books (and not even to read or manage them).
Downloading from the browser is awkward and clumsy.
Options are great, being forced down one path only adds new friction to many users' workflows.

It would be helpful if calibre could handle it. Maybe that would happen, maybe not -- but the nonexistent difference is certainly there.

Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-13-2015 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typos
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #153
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
People have previously reported that downloading "Enhanced Typesetting Enabled" books with K4PC, and copying those books to the Kindle exhibits no enhancements. Whether downloading books to a Kindle and going from there to Calibre would work or not, time will tell. I've love to be wrong in my view that it's unlikely to work!
This seems to confirm that sideloading a kfx onto a kfx-enabled device does not display the new typography.

Edit: If K4PC doesn't support it, then the functions wouldn't carry over. But then, I wouldn't expect Amazon to send K4PC a kfx if the program doesn't support the format.

Last edited by Rizla; 08-13-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #154
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
This seems to confirm that sideloading a kfx onto a kfx-enabled device does not display the new typography.
No, it simply confirms that you currently don't get kfx files from K4PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #155
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:

Edit: If K4PC doesn't support it, then the functions wouldn't carry over. But then, I wouldn't expect Amazon to send K4PC a kfx if the program doesn't support the format.
I can confirm that it IS possible to sideload a kfx onto a kfx enabled device and have hyphenation and enhanced spacing. I can't speak to the other aspects of the new typography, as I can't see them.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #156
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

K4PC downloads AZW3. That statement was made before it was realized that KFX exists.

K4PC hasn't even been updated how do you expect it to receive a whole new file format???
Old 08-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #157
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, it simply confirms that you currently don't get kfx files from K4PC.
Thanks. I see that now.

It would be nice if somebody could test a kfx can be sideloaded and still maintain the new functionality.

One method would be to download it via the Kindle, copy it, delete it from the Kindle, then sideload it back onto the Kindle. Though that's not as sure a test as sideloading a kfx downloaded from another device. Both techniques involve the possibility that de-drming might remove features.

Edit: Oops, didn't see Shalym's post.

Last edited by Rizla; 08-13-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #158
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I can confirm that it IS possible to sideload a kfx onto a kfx enabled device and have hyphenation and enhanced spacing. I can't speak to the other aspects of the new typography, as I can't see them.

Shari
Was that a kfx copied and sideloaded from the same device, or from another device? And was it de-drmed?
Old 08-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #159
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Was that a kfx copied and sideloaded from the same device, or from another device? And was it de-drmed?
It can't have been DRMed -- the tools don't handle the new format.

shalym tested sideloading to a second, unregistered, device.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-13-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #160
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
It's not looking good.

See this:

Also this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=263902
Ugh. Amazon is slowly but surely cementing the walled garden. Since most people don't care, why shouldn't they?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #161
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Ugh. Amazon is slowly but surely cementing the walled garden. Since most people don't care, why shouldn't they?
Well, hopefully this can be reverse-engineered. But yes, it's disappointing that Amazon has introduced a whole new format instead of simply tweaking AZW3.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #162
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
Oh good. Thank you. At least we know the typography data isn't stuck in a hidden file not in userstore.

Does anyone know of a DRM free book with new typography enhancement and free sample?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #163
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
And, you're right, Barty. Most people don't care. It's one of the rare issues where I'm lumped in with "most people".

I like the enhanced typesetting.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #164
byzkarl
byzkarl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Oh good. Thank you. At least we know the typography data isn't stuck in a hidden file not in userstore.

Does anyone know of a DRM free book with new typography enhancement and free sample?
On Basilisk Station, by David Weber, has no DRM, and has the enhanced typesetting enabled. It costs 0.00$, no doubt to get one hooked on the Honor Harrington series.

Go ye forth, download, and figure out what's going on in the kfx format.
byzkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #165
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
I have seen a couple of the new books that have the enhancements enabled and they do look great to me. But I have to say also that ebooks that I email to my device also looks much better than before the update.

It seems to me that some on here are looking for way more of an improvement than I am and I can see more improvement than I was expecting.
I've noticed that too. I think that they improved the layout engine and thus rendering for all ebooks. So even if they are not enhanced by hyphenation and kerning they still have slightly better layout than before.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote