Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #151
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I see that the shipping date of the Hanlin V9 (which uses the same screen supplier as the CyBook) has slipped to "end of the year or beyond". I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the same thing happen to the CyBook, unfortunately - they are completely dependent on external suppliers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:59 PM   #152
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have not seen confirmation, but I assume the Hanlin V3 is using a 6" Vizplex screen like the Cybook. If so, the 6" screen (with 4-way greyscale controller) is available now, but the larger screens are delayed. The Hanlin V9 with 10" screen is advertised as 4-way greyscale, but I was under the impression that the large screens need the new metronome display controller with 8-way greyscale capability.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 AM   #153
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Only time will tell. Unfortunately Bookeen are completely dependent upon their supplier. If their timescales slip, so does delivery of the CyBook. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:29 AM   #154
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Most of the cost of an eInk Reader is the screen. Let's suppose that $250 of the price of the CyBook is the screen. The cost of a screen will be proportional to its area, therefore we can assume that, in today's prices, an A4 screen will cost about 6x as much as the current CyBook's screen.

Would you really be willing to pay $1500+ for an A4 CyBook?
Yes I would be prepared to pay that price, especially if it had a decent note taking application. I love my Iliad for reading novels, it is even good to some extent when combined with My Script for note taking. However I really need a device that is A4 in size to allow effective reading of PDFS for work (the iliad is acceptable for this, but not ideal). I also want a device on which I can write notes when out conducting field work interviews which would then be able to convert those handwritten notes to text, again the Iliad has some capability, however I find the screen too small for comfort. The time savings of such a device would be well worth the expense to me.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:31 AM   #155
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Have you considered an A4-format Tablet PC? It would seem to meet all your needs admirably.
Advert
Old 08-17-2007, 05:41 AM   #156
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Not quite all my requirements. I love the E ink display and th e resulting lack of eye strain. But it is a solution worth considering, also not sure if it would allow writing direct to screen. The iliad really does meet my needs if it was produced in an A4 version. Oh and I should add that the other issue is that anything I take on home visits needs to not look to inviting for theft I do work in dodgy environments.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:48 AM   #157
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, you can write directly onto the screen of a Tablet PC. They all use the same Wacom stylus technology that the iLiad uses and, because it's an LCD screen, there's none of the "time lag" you get on the iLiad when writing - it's much more responsive.

The downside is the battery life of course - typically around half that of the iLiad.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:00 AM   #158
sianon
Addict

I am about to trial a Pegasus Mini Note taker which also uses My Script to convert hand writing to text. This device attaches to a regular note pad and uses a digital pen with actual ink. but it means yet another device to add to my bulging work bag, which already raises the suspicion of security when I enter court. Generally two mobile phones and my Iliad. Adding yet another device could get interesting . Now a device that would allow me to read books, take notes, make and receive phone calls from two different mobile accounts and looks like a standard issue el cheapo notebook would seem to be just the ticket. However I doubt very much that I will ever get all of that in one package.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:44 PM   #159
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you considered an A4-format Tablet PC? It would seem to meet all your needs admirably.
I don't think there are any. Isn't the biggest tablet 12.1 inches? To read PDFs full-sized, you'd need at least 8.5 wide for letter and 11.7 tall for A4. Call that 9x12 and it requires a 15-inch screen. Plain notebooks have that and more, but not convertible ones nor straight tablets.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #160
mercury7
mercury7 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Asus R1F (13.3 inch)
http://www.tabletpcreview.com/price/...ay=priceDetail

Gateway C-140X (14-inch)
http://www.tabletpcreview.com/price/...ay=priceDetail
mercury7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:47 AM   #161
levirothschild
levirothschild began at the beginning.

Device: none
Where`s Guguy?

Hehehe, I think two weeks have passed now. Guguy said he would post some new picks and info after his meeting with Bookeen.
levirothschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #162
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by levirothschild View Post
Hehehe, I think two weeks have passed now. Guguy said he would post some new picks and info after his meeting with Bookeen.
He's supposed to meet Bookeen on the 24th.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:33 AM   #163
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Tomorrow! Excellent - perhaps we'll have a news update shortly, in that case.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #164
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Guguy's meeting with Bookeen has been cancelled. They don't want him to review the device before it gets released and consider it'd be an "information leak".
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #165
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdiogo View Post
Guguy's meeting with Bookeen has been cancelled. They don't want him to review the device before it gets released and consider it'd be an "information leak".
That really does sound fishy to me. Like something is not right with the unit. I dunno what's up.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote