Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #151
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Interesting topic here. Sounds like the "general consensus" of the MR News section junkies is: iPad mini is not gonna make it, and Apple is on its way down.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I can express mine. The rumors of Apple's impending demise have been greatly exaggerated. I don't have a silver ball, of course, but I feel that Apple has made some right decisions, which ensure its continuing leadership role for the next few years.

It's pretty funny to read the mocking comments about the specs. The resolution, the CPU speed, the memory! Personally, I don't believe the specs matter so much as software optimization does. I don't own an iPhone, and I've owned several high-end Android phones. However, despite the officially inferior specs I still believe that iPhone is a better product than any of my Android phones. It's just I am on T-Mobile, so iPhone wasn't exactly an option for me. And WiFi calling (T-Mobile feature) and tethering matter more on a phone than they do on a tablet.

I own two iPads - 1 and 3. And I am a bit pissed off that my top-of-the-line iPad 3 has been made obsolete in just a few months. But I still enjoy using my iPads. And do my kids enjoy using the iPads! I have tested many Android tablets, from the real cheap Chinese pieces of s#&t to the top-of-the-line Samsung and Nexus ones. I don't believe the tablet experience on Android is comparable to iPad. I don't know how to explain it, but to me it's not even close. And I am not alone. The Apple store in the neighborhood is always full of people, and the tablet display at Best Buy is near deserted. The users know intuitively, which product really is better. And never mind the prices.

The price matters, but you only pay it once, and you are stuck with using a device for years. Most users are not tinkerers, they don't care about rooting and hacking - they want intuitive smooth enjoyable browsing experience, email, a good selection of quality apps and games, a nice comfortable tablet. And on a subconscious level it does matter that Multi-touch is smooth, and soft keys are the right size, and touch interface always does exactly what you want it to do, and that there is no tactile feel of cheap Chinese plastic. It is true that people love their i-devices, and they use them all the time. Apple products have the feel of high quality hardware while most other "high end" products out there do not. Including Nook tablets, which do have a pretty good feel to them, but suck in software.

So, let's wait and see what happens with iPad mini. Perhaps it will end up not being a major hit. But my suspicion is, if it works as well out of the box as its larger twin did, it's going to be huge. If it cannibalizes the iPad and iPod Touch sales, so be it. It probably will some. But remembering the same attitudes from 3 years ago, I wouldn't be in a hurry to write it off.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #152
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Now that the Nook business has been spun off, and Microsoft has been brought in as a junior partner, they may start smartening-up. We can hope. Microsoft certainly has a more open platform vision than B&N. Windows is perhaps the most open commercially successful platform of all time, and even the Xbox is a more open platform than any previous game system (look at its support for self-published, peer-reviewed indie games and apps on the Xbox, something the competition wouldn't dream of doing).
Oh, I wish they *would* wise up.
The FireHDs have way better speakers and WiFi but given a choice I'd rather have the SD card slot and the extra $60.
But all that extra storage will be useless if I can't get the apps I want on the thing.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #153
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Interesting topic here. Sounds like the "general consensus" of the MR News section junkies is: iPad mini is not gonna make it, and Apple is on its way down.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I can express mine. The rumors of Apple's impending demise have been greatly exaggerated. I don't have a silver ball, of course, but I feel that Apple has made some right decisions, which ensure its continuing leadership role for the next few years.

It's pretty funny to read the mocking comments about the specs. The resolution, the CPU speed, the memory! Personally, I don't believe the specs matter so much as software optimization does. I don't own an iPhone, and I've owned several high-end Android phones. However, despite the officially inferior specs I still believe that iPhone is a better product than any of my Android phones. It's just I am on T-Mobile, so iPhone wasn't exactly an option for me. And WiFi calling (T-Mobile feature) and tethering matter more on a phone than they do on a tablet.

I own two iPads - 1 and 3. And I am a bit pissed off that my top-of-the-line iPad 3 has been made obsolete in just a few months. But I still enjoy using my iPads. And do my kids enjoy using the iPads! I have tested many Android tablets, from the real cheap Chinese pieces of s#&t to the top-of-the-line Samsung and Nexus ones. I don't believe the tablet experience on Android is comparable to iPad. I don't know how to explain it, but to me it's not even close. And I am not alone. The Apple store in the neighborhood is always full of people, and the tablet display at Best Buy is near deserted. The users know intuitively, which product really is better. And never mind the prices.

The price matters, but you only pay it once, and you are stuck with using a device for years. Most users are not tinkerers, they don't care about rooting and hacking - they want intuitive smooth enjoyable browsing experience, email, a good selection of quality apps and games, a nice comfortable tablet. And on a subconscious level it does matter that Multi-touch is smooth, and soft keys are the right size, and touch interface always does exactly what you want it to do, and that there is no tactile feel of cheap Chinese plastic. It is true that people love their i-devices, and they use them all the time. Apple products have the feel of high quality hardware while most other "high end" products out there do not. Including Nook tablets, which do have a pretty good feel to them, but suck in software.

So, let's wait and see what happens with iPad mini. Perhaps it will end up not being a major hit. But my suspicion is, if it works as well out of the box as its larger twin did, it's going to be huge. If it cannibalizes the iPad and iPod Touch sales, so be it. It probably will some. But remembering the same attitudes from 3 years ago, I wouldn't be in a hurry to write it off.
Enjoy your iPads. But it sounds like your last Android tablet experience happened quite a while ago.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #154
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
I'm headed back down to Staples tonight and get my Nexus7 back.. LOL.. I miss it.. I didn't give it enough time.. sheesh.. whatya think? am I nuts?
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #155
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
I'm headed back down to Staples tonight and get my Nexus7 back.. LOL.. I miss it.. I didn't give it enough time.. sheesh.. whatya think? am I nuts?
Doug
You should really wait till the 29th. Supposedly on that date, Staples will be selling the 32gb Nexus 7 for $249. And the 8/16gb models will be cut in price by $50 each.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #156
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
Doug
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #157
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
You should really wait till the 29th. Supposedly on that date, Staples will be selling the 32gb Nexus 7 for $249. And the 8/16gb models will be cut in price by $50 each.

--Pat
THIS. (If MrDoug was serious)
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #158
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post

You over exaggerate to try and make your point. O.K. So do the rest of us.

It is not that Apple doesn't' make good equipment, they do. The main point some of us make is that it is over priced.

As for the iPad Mini, it is surprising that that particular equipment isn't better. In my opinion, they could have spent an extra $50 and charged $500 for the device, and just said it was to fill that size niche.

But irregardless, there will be buyers.

By the way, I just saw and handled an iPhone5 tonight. The long time user of Apple products was very happy with it, especially with the larger screen. She didn't seem to upset when I commented that Steve Jobs would have considered that sacrilege.

I asked Siri who the prettiest girl in "?????" was, and Siri said that she would look on the web. Still not very smart.

SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #159
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Here's a funny strip I ran across.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5674861_700b.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	94854  
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #160
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
DELETED (I really need to read a little further before replying - keep having my points made 2-3 posts below what I respond to )
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #161
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I asked Siri who the prettiest girl in "?????" was, and Siri said that she would look on the web. Still not very smart.

Well, you want Siri to understand women? Isn't that asking a little too much?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #162
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
5 reasons why you shouldn't buy the mini:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva...-an-ipad-mini/
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #163
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Besides resolution, processor, etc., my device "has" to have a a microSD slot. That's why I settled on the original Nook Color about 15 months ago. At that moment in time it seemed to be the best device for me.

(Although I plead guilty to buying a non-expandable Touchpad when HP had its fire sale late last year. The price was too good to pass up. It's a nice backup device, especially when reading at home.)

At this point, if I were to replace the Nook today, I would probably get another Nook or the Nexus. I got the Nook because, thanks to the memory slot, I am able to have a dual boot set up. Which allows for greater flexibility, at least as far as my wants go. I realize that most people probably have no interest in messing around with their tech.

The Apple mini just seems overpriced for what one gets specs-wise. Apple has always seemed overpriced to me, ever since I considered getting a desktop and compared the specs to Windows/Linux PCs.

I am not knocking people who prefer Apple products. At this point, they are still just not for me.

I think people should investigate what is out there, if possible actually handle devices, and try to decide what works best for them, regardless of manufacturer/platform.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #164
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjd View Post
okay, i've seen a couple of the posts now like what you always see after an apple event, so I guess I'll ask it this way - why do people get upset at what other people spend money on? is there any reason at all to care what people spend their own money on? maybe that's why i don't get the passions Apple generates because I can't see caring what a stranger spends his/her cash on.

is it that you think people giving Apple money is somehow ruining your own experiences with different manufacturers in some way? what is it that is upsetting to you personally when someone enjoys/spends money on something you think is inferior?
Below is my honest opinion and the reason I won't be buying any Apple product again.

In Apples case the money does go to trying to get rid of competition from other manufacturers, they seem to be constantly trying to get any other competitive products banned. It's pretty apparent this is a deliberate strategy by Apple to try and stop any of us having a choice or other options.

Believe it or not a couple of years ago I was a happy Apple user but as a fan of all tech their patent trolling has annoyed me to the extent that I gave up my large expensive iTunes library and started buying the competitors.

Apples been spending so much time and money on trying to become a monopoly that they are now seriously behind everyone else in actual tech and it's doubtful they will ever catch up.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #165
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Apples been spending so much time and money on trying to become a monopoly that they are now seriously behind everyone else in actual tech and it's doubtful they will ever catch up.

But fan boys will insist that continual super sizing/downsizing the iPod/iPad is all Apple needs to do to stay ahead.

Last edited by JoHunt; 10-25-2012 at 08:12 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote