Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-01-2023, 08:46 AM   #151
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

The fact the Elipsa-2 has no cover and is lighter suggests it's not a true upgrade (pointless for existing users) but just cost reduction and adding orange LEDs for comfort/warm light (very cheap and baffling the original didn't have them). ...
Seems as though you are projecting. If lighter weight is a must for someone, it is an upgrade. If Comfort Light Pro is a must, it is an upgrade.

I was in the market for a larger reader, and settled for a Sage. If the Elipsa had the the 2E features, it would have been my purchase instead of a Sage.

Quote:
As mentioned earlier there were three versions of 6.8" H20 to do with cost reduction. The 7" Libra and now 7" Libra 2 replace those. Though I'm puzzled why the Libra 2 adds the Pen digitiser (works in Sketchpad) but no Pen annotation. It's an extra cost vs original Libra H2O BOM.
I thought there were two consumer versions of the H2O: the H2O and the H2O2. One of them had a manufacturing change, but it was still the same consumer model name.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:51 AM   #152
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I was in the market for a larger reader, and settled for a Sage. If the Elipsa had the the 2E features, it would have been my purchase instead of a Sage.

I thought there were two consumer versions of the H2O: the H2O and the H2O2. One of them had a manufacturing change, but it was still the same consumer model name.
I have Elipsa and Sage. The Sage is better for epubs and notes (I only use Advancesd) due to size & weight. Only need Elipsa for a few PDFs.

I like the comfort light, and the Elipsa is a bit heavy, but I'd not buy an "upgrade" for those reasons. I'd rather wait for a larger than 10.3″ Kobo with 220 to 300 dpi. The best current 13+″ eink are too low a resolution at 1650 x 2200 thus about 202 to 207 dpi (earlier models are 1200 × 1600 at 150 dpi, the DX(G) also 150dpi, which I have and is far too low). Sony DPT-RP1 was 2017 and £850 then. The Onyx Boox Max 3 is/was probably better. https://www.thestyleinspiration.com/...one-is-better/ The 13.8″ eink tablets were about twice what I was prepared to pay apart from originally far too poor, though the later 1650 x 2200 is nearly good enough.
I think the Boox Max 3 is only available S/H or refurbished. The Mira seems to be the same panel but only a monitor.

So I'll wait for a larger than 10.3″ eink with 220 dpi or more. I seriously considered a Kindle Scribe but the walled garden PDF support is a complete no and the 227 dpi to 300 dpi change isn't worth it for my eyesight. Having PDFs actual 1:1 with print size is more use now that I have the Kobo Sage. Scribe: spending £335 for about 25% extra sharpness and totally inferior GUI and features or about £300 for a version 2 Elipsa when I have a hardly used Elipsa isn't worth it.
So I'll use the Sage and wait for a serious upgrade (bigger than 12″ and at least 220 dpi) at an affordable price. My latest 23″ 4K screen is nearly as good as eink and HDR colour, so not too bad for larger documents. It's sufficiently high resolution to give better results with text using greyscale anti-aliasing rather than compromise subpixel (RGB cleartype idea) addressing.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-01-2023 at 09:55 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2023, 05:24 PM   #153
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Forthcoming N605 model

Looks like tomorrow is the big day. I received a text today from Kobo that seems to be advertising the new stylus being used on a Sage with the buttons cropped off. The text reads: “Rakuten Kobo US: Hi! We've got something exciting happening tomorrow, can you guess what it is? Stay tuned... 🤫”

Since I’m a happy Elipsa owner, I’ll probably invest in the new stylus. It’s a pain to press to erase. I like the old school elegance of an “eraser”. I’ll happily upgrade to the new Elipsa as well. ComfortLight will be a much needed improvement. I don’t do late night reading with my Elipsa because of the lack of night shift lighting. I’ll just recycle my old Elipsa by handing it down to my daughter. She’s been begging me for one.

Last edited by Cootey; 04-04-2023 at 05:46 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote