Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2016, 05:15 AM   #151
The_Immortal
Connoisseur
The_Immortal began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO HD, KOBO AURA ONE
pagepack, could you please test reading some PDF? The same thing?

Thank you!
The_Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:30 AM   #152
barsanuphe
Connoisseur
barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2, Kobo H20, Kobo Aura One
In the new firmware, in settings/energy savings, there is an option I don't remember from before: automatically turn off light in bright sunlight.
barsanuphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2016, 05:31 AM   #153
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Immortal View Post
pagepack, could you please test reading some PDF? The same thing?

Thank you!
I put a small PDF on, 5mb, only 6 pages. never read them TBH. Timed each page turn. Average to change to the next page was 3.8 seconds.

edit; to open the pdf from the home page was 9 seconds.

Last edited by pagepack; 09-02-2016 at 05:34 AM.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #154
JLB14
Enthusiast
JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Even if reading PDF is quite hasardous on the Aura One, according to what I've seen so far, I must say that reading manga (CBZ or CBR) is truly pleasant and I didn't encountered any fluidity problem.
By the way, I'm surprised that reviewers aren't talking too much about that : in my opinion, this is a main advantage and that should be promoted.
JLB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:32 AM   #155
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
I put a small PDF on, 5mb, only 6 pages. never read them TBH. Timed each page turn. Average to change to the next page was 3.8 seconds.

edit; to open the pdf from the home page was 9 seconds.
Ouch. My one isn't THAT slow with pdf. (though slow indead)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2016, 08:01 AM   #156
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Battery with 4.0.7523

I still have battery problems. I left home with a fully charged One two hours ago, read a maximum of one hour since, in bits and pieces, and am at 66%.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #157
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I still have battery problems. I left home with a fully charged One two hours ago, read a maximum of one hour since, in bits and pieces, and am at 66%.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but didn't you state that you loaded 2000 books on the device? Perhaps it is not yet done processing them all.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #158
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Forgive me if I am wrong, but didn't you state that you loaded 2000 books on the device? Perhaps it is not yet done processing them all.
Processing of new books happens before the home page is displayed. Loading 2000 books in one go will take a bit of battery, but, once finished, that's it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #159
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd never download 2000 books in one go: I did it in batches, a few hundred books at a time, and spaced it on two days, but it was done yesterday, and I've turned the device on and off several times since because of the sync problem.

Last edited by anacreon; 09-02-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #160
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
Quote:
For comparison Ive just read for exactly one hour, front light on 61% and I used 5% of the battery. That's with wifi (+sync) off.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #161
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
It was with Wi-Fi and sync off, light automatic (about 75%?) and comfort light one step above the minimum (I prefer it when inside far from a window).
Old 09-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #162
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I'd never download 2000 books in one go: I did it in batches, a few hundred books at a time, and spaced it on two days, but it was done yesterday, and I've turned the device on and off several times since because of the sync problem.
With 2000 books, how do you navigate through them? Is there good file/book management on the One?

I have trouble navigating on my Glo, having to page through to find a particular book. Maybe I just don't know the trick. Anyone know how to quickly search for a particular book on a Kobo?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #163
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do the new firmware improve thing for pdf?
Old 09-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #164
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
With 2000 books, how do you navigate through them? Is there good file/book management on the One?

I have trouble navigating on my Glo, having to page through to find a particular book. Maybe I just don't know the trick. Anyone know how to quickly search for a particular book on a Kobo?
I would say to use calibre to edit collections, or get a reader with folder support.
Or maybe you dont't need that many books at once right?

Else, there is a search. Don't know what performance would be with that many books though.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #165
girlwithabook
girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE, iPhone 6s
There is a thing for PDFs I discovered while playing with my Aura ONE that I think the bigger screen capitalizes on. If you open a PDF, open the menu for zoom settings, and select rotate, you can read PDFs in landscape orientation on the device, and while panning is still needed, the larger screen definitely reduces the panning and makes for a really nice experience.
girlwithabook is offline   Reply With Quote