Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #1546
rbruce1314
Groupie
rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xgody tablet, LG G3 (Android), moon+reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort1997 View Post
Sorry Sir - will try harder in future
Yup - and to explain/continue, it's all about references as opposed to sources.

A little while ago I was reading an in-depth analysis of the life of King Charles II, dealing with/countering all the allegations made against him. In one case a previous author had carefully listed 47 references of him doing a certain thing. However in actual fact there were only two SOURCES (both of them considered to be rather unreliable): ALL the other 45 were in fact just references back to one of the two primary sources.

As a scientist myself, just as any historian, genealogist, scientist etc. etc., we all know it is the sources that provide the primary information.

Mort1997 is an excellent reference: his information is invaluable and I use it every week - the spoilers save an awful lot of wasted time - the point of my post upthread was that if (as now seems wrong) one or two have not been aware of the Endeavour newsletter, then that for them could be a primary source of that (and possibly more in-depth) information

Respect to Mort1997 then - for saving a lot of time when in a hurry
rbruce1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:40 AM   #1547
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruce1314 View Post
Yup - and to explain/continue, it's all about references as opposed to sources.

A little while ago I was reading an in-depth analysis of the life of King Charles II, dealing with/countering all the allegations made against him. In one case a previous author had carefully listed 47 references of him doing a certain thing. However in actual fact there were only two SOURCES (both of them considered to be rather unreliable): ALL the other 45 were in fact just references back to one of the two primary sources.

As a scientist myself, just as any historian, genealogist, scientist etc. etc., we all know it is the sources that provide the primary information.

Mort1997 is an excellent reference: his information is invaluable and I use it every week - the spoilers save an awful lot of wasted time - the point of my post upthread was that if (as now seems wrong) one or two have not been aware of the Endeavour newsletter, then that for them could be a primary source of that (and possibly more in-depth) information

Respect to Mort1997 then - for saving a lot of time when in a hurry

The Sorry was a jokey answer to Dr Drib!
Which goes to show that the short and sweet posts (written quickly) can sometimes be misinterpreted - as with your original note. It was interesting to click on the link and see the endeavour press site - thanks for that
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2016, 06:46 AM   #1548
rbruce1314
Groupie
rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xgody tablet, LG G3 (Android), moon+reader
Quote:
It was interesting to click on the link and see the endeavour press site - thanks for that
No probs - glad to be of service
rbruce1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #1549
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
And Endeavour puts a lot of titles on US Kindle Countdown too, typically at $0.99 for a week, if you don't mind paying a little bit for some, rather than waiting for totally free. I usually watch the Countdown and post titles I spot (Endeavour or not) pretty regularly, but extra help watching is always appreciated! Endeavour repeats a lot on Countdown so I don't post after I've seen a title a couple of times.

Not sure if there is a UK Kindle Countdown (?), but if so, I don't watch that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruce1314 View Post
No probs - glad to be of service
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:41 AM   #1550
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Someday the Rabbi Will Leave is the first of Harry Kemelman's non-weekday (but still with "day" in the title) Rabbi Small mysteries. It has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Someday-Rabbi...dp/B00ZJZGXH0/

Spoiler:
Quote:
A puzzling murder draws Rabbi Small into the unseemly world of local politics

Since becoming the rabbi at the synagogue in Barnard’s Crossing, Massachusetts, David Small has seen his congregation through a fair share of unholy bickering and corruption. So when millionaire Howard Magnuson is elected president of the synagogue, the rabbi isn’t surprised that Magnuson wants to bring corporate efficiency to the temple—at the expense of religious tradition. Conflict flares when Rabbi Small refuses, on the basis of temple rules, to officiate the interfaith wedding of Magnuson’s daughter to a non-Jewish Boston politician, and the new president calls for the rabbi’s dismissal.

When another player in Boston politics is killed in a hit-and-run accident and the police suspect a Jewish college student, Rabbi Small fears the undergrad might have been set up—and that Magnuson is involved. The young man’s innocence and the future of the temple depend on Rabbi Small solving the case with his signature wit and Judaic wisdom.
Advert
Old 11-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #1551
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Two titles by Elly Griffiths have dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US. Both have been $1.99 before, but a long time ago, and I like Griffiths' books, so I'm posting again.

The Zig Zag Girl is the first in Griffiths' Magic Men series.
link: https://www.amazon.com/Zig-Zag-Girl-...dp/B00QPIGTOM/
Spoiler:
Quote:
One of Entertainment Weekly's 10 Great Fall Thrillers
"Clever, immensely likeable...Captivating." —The Wall Street Journal

In the first installment of a compelling new series by Elly Griffiths featuring Detective Inspector Edgar Stephens and the magnificent Max Mephisto, a band of magicians who served together in World War II track a killer who’s performing their deadly tricks.

Brighton, 1950. The body of a girl is found cut into three pieces. Detective Inspector Edgar Stephens is convinced the killer is mimicking a famous magic trick—the Zig Zag Girl. The inventor of the trick, Max Mephisto, is an old war friend of Edgar’s. They served together in a shadowy unit called the Magic Men, a special ops troop that used stage tricks to confound the enemy.

Max is on the traveling show circuit, touring seaside towns with ventriloquists, sword-swallowers and dancing girls. He’s reluctant to leave this world to help Edgar investigate, but advises him to identify the victim quickly — it takes a special sidekick to do the Zig Zag Girl. Those words come back to haunt Max when the dead girl turns out to be Ethel, one of his best assistants to date. He’s soon at Edgar’s side, hunting for Ethel’s killer.

Another death, another magic trick: Edgar and Max are sure the answer to the murders lies in their army days. And when Edgar receives a letter warning of another “trick” on the way — the Wolf Trap — he knows they’re all in the killer’s sights.

The Ghost Fields is the seventh in Griffiths' Ruth Galloway series.
link: https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Fields-...dp/B00LZ7GSTY/
Spoiler:
Quote:
“Ruth is a terrific character: unglamorous, smart, down-to-earth and completely believable.” — San Jose Mercury News

“Readers will look forward to learning more about [Ruth Galloway].” — USA Today

It’s a blazing hot summer in Norfolk when a construction crew unearths a downed American fighter plane from World War II with a body inside. Forensic archeologist Ruth Galloway determines that the skeleton couldn’t possibly be the pilot, and DNA tests identify the man as Fred Blackstock, a local aristocrat long presumed dead — news that seems to frighten his descendants. Events are further complicated by a TV company that wants to make a film about Norfolk’s deserted air force bases, the so-called ghost fields, which the Blackstocks have converted into a pig farm. As production begins, Ruth notices a mysterious man loitering at Fred Blackstock’s memorial service. Then human bones are found on the family’s pig farm and the weather quickly turns. Can the team outrace a looming flood to find the killer?

“Ruth Galloway is a captivating amateur sleuth — an inspired creation. I identified with her insecurities and struggles, and cheered her on.” — Louise Penny

“An uncommon, down-to-earth heroine whose acute insight, wry humor, and depth of feeling make her a thoroughly engaging companion.” — Erin Hart

Also worth noting that a novella in the series, Ruth's First Christmas Tree, is a long term freebie if you want to dip your toes in before buying...
link: https://www.amazon.com/Ruths-First-C...dp/B00AFDUN72/
Spoiler:
Quote:
A spirited stocking stuffer for fans craving a taste of Ruth Galloway in their holiday season.

It is three days before Christmas and a bitter wind is blowing across Norfolk.

Until her daughter was born, forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway didn’t do Christmas, but now that Kate is a year old, she wants it to be special.

She must get a tree, shop for food, clean the house, buy presents, including one for her new boyfriend—who she isn’t even sure is her boyfriend—and remember to get the turkey out of the freezer.

But time is rushing by and the best-laid plans don’t always work out …
Old 11-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #1552
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead is the first of two Claire DeWitt titles by Sara Gran. It has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US. It won/was a finalist for several awards. It may be worth noting that the second title is a whopping $9.99 at Kindle US, so I recommend that you don't like the first one too much .

link: https://www.amazon.com/Claire-DeWitt...dp/B004X7QMB2/

Spoiler:
Quote:
“Delicious and addictive.”—Salon.com

“Reads . . . as if David Lynch directed a Raymond Chandler novel.”—CNN

“What would you get if that punkish dragon girl Lisbeth Salander met up with Jim Sallis’s Lew Griffin walking the back streets of New Orleans? Or Sue Grafton’s Kinsey Millhone transformed herself into a tattooed magnolia driving a 4x4? Clare DeWitt, that’s what you’d get . . . DeWitt’s mesmerizing character and memorable voice take your breath away.”—New Orleans Times-Picayune

This knock-out start to a bracingly original new series features Claire DeWitt, the world’s greatest PI—at least, that's what she calls herself. A one-time teen detective in Brooklyn, she is a follower of the esoteric French detective Jacques Silette, whose mysterious handbook Détection inspired Claire’s unusual practices. Claire also has deep roots in New Orleans, where she was mentored by Silette’s student the brilliant Constance Darling—until Darling was murdered. When a respected DA goes missing she returns to the hurricane-ravaged city to find out why.

“The hard-living, wisecracking titular detective bounces around post-Katrina New Orleans trying to track down a missing prosecutor in this auspicious debut of a new mystery series—and the Big Easy is every bit her equal in sass and flavor.”—Elle

“Reminds me why I fell in love with the genre.”—Laura Lippman
Old 11-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #1553
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Eva's Eye ($2.99) is the first in the Inspector Sejer series by Karin Fossum.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Evas-Eye-Insp...dp/B008P929VG/

Spoiler:
Quote:
“No one can thoroughly chill the blood the way Karin Fossum can.” —Los Angeles Times

Eva Magnus and her daughter are out walking by the river when a man’s body floats to the water’s surface. Eva goes to call the police, but when she reaches the phone, she dials another number altogether.

The police find the body anyway. Inspector Sejer and his team quickly determine that the man, Egil, died in a violent attack. But Egil has been missing for months and the trail to his killer is cold. It’s as puzzling as another unsolved case on Sejer’s desk: the murder of a prostitute, found dead just before Egil went missing. Sejer sets to work piecing together these two impossible cases; it's not long before he realizes that they aren’t as separate as they previously seemed.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #1554
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

The Hog Murders is the first in the Niccolo Benedetti series by William L. DeAndrea. SYKM indicates that it won the 1980 Edgar Award for Best Paperback. I've read and really enjoyed all of DeAndrea's Matt Cobb books, way back in DTB days, so am glad to see this one on sale, so I can try this series.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Hog-Murders-T...dp/B00AEGIGEC/

Spoiler:
Quote:
In the Edgar Award–winning first title of the Niccolo Benedetti series, the celebrated detective hunts a serial killer who is terrorizing a small town

In the upstate New York town of Sparta, six people die in three weeks. At first the incidents seem accidental: A highway sign drops onto a car full of teenage girls, an old man falls down a set of stairs, and a boy is struck by a sheet of ice that had been building on his garage. But after each case a note turns up. Someone called “Hog” claims responsibility for each death, and taunts the police to catch him before he strikes again.

The deaths have everybody talking, and the local police department is eventually forced to share the case with famous Italian detective Niccolo Benedetti and his protégé, would-be cop turned private investigator Ron Gresham. A painter, ladies’ man, and rule-bending genius, Benedetti views every case as a chance to probe the nature of evil. And with his “analyze and imagine” method, he’ll pursue the killer both to stop him and to study him.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #1555
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead is the first of two Claire DeWitt titles by Sara Gran. It has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US. It won/was a finalist for several awards. It may be worth noting that the second title is a whopping $9.99 at Kindle US, so I recommend that you don't like the first one too much .

link: https://www.amazon.com/Claire-DeWitt...dp/B004X7QMB2/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/City-Dead-C...ords=Sara+Gran

Looks interesting

£1.89 in the UK (book 2 £3.99)
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #1556
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Perhaps there was some confusion when you originally wrote that the books were "translated by AmazonCrossing," which you went on to correct that you did not actually mean what you wrote...
As a book for hire, which all of AmazonCrossing's most likely are (the find and commission the translations), listing them as "by" is appropriate. Using "from", of course, works in both cases ... and I doubt any of us were confused when AmazonCrossing is listed as "the translator". Unless, perhaps, you thought that was the name of the giant AI Amazon uses for publishing?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #1557
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
The Sorry was a jokey answer to Dr Drib!
Which goes to show that the short and sweet posts (written quickly) can sometimes be misinterpreted - as with your original note. It was interesting to click on the link and see the endeavour press site - thanks for that

Oh, I knew that, seeing as how I had a whole slew of smilies for you to respond to.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #1558
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
As a book for hire, which all of AmazonCrossing's most likely are (the find and commission the translations), listing them as "by" is appropriate. Using "from", of course, works in both cases ... and I doubt any of us were confused when AmazonCrossing is listed as "the translator". Unless, perhaps, you thought that was the name of the giant AI Amazon uses for publishing?

Ack! Say it ain't so, Joe!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:38 AM   #1559
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Various Ed Mcbains in the 40 Kindle books for £1 sale on Amazon.co.uk:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_l...d_i=5400977031

Didn't see much else of interest.

(Someone asked up-thread about countdown deals on Amazon UK - no, we don't have them...)
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #1560
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Murder among Thieves is the third in the Constable Kerr/Inspector Robert Fusil series by Roderic Jeffries. It is a US Kindle Countdown deal at $0.99 for about 3 3/4 more days.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Murder-Among-...dp/B01M9D3SF2/

Spoiler:
Quote:
The ultimate robbery…

An armed robbery against one of the most impenetrable trucks ever invented.

Two murdered guards, a further two hospitalised and unable to identify the perpetrators.

It soon becomes apparent that this was a well-planned heist, with over one hundred thousand pounds taken.

But Detective Inspector Fusil has very little information to go on and following coincidental clues, gut instinct seems the way to go.

The net is closing in on the criminals, until one by one, they also show up murdered.

Is one of the armed gang turning on their team?

Just who is behind these mysterious murders?

The suspects all have alibis and none of the stolen money.

The case begins to fall apart and Fusil can’t stop himself questioning his instincts.

But what if he has looked at the case from the wrong angle?

Can he convince his superiors to follow through on one more line of questioning?

Fusil’s theory may seem far-fetched, but if it’s right, he may be able to capture one of the most dangerous villains around.
The one that no one would ever suspect…

Murder Among Thieves is a brilliantly written crime novel, full of suspense with a truly shocking ending that you will not forget.