Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: July 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien 17 13.08%
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik 13 10.00%
The Deed of Paksenarrion: The Sheepfarmer's Daughter (book 1) by Elizabeth Moon 24 18.46%
Magic Kingdom For Sale — Sold! by Terry Brooks 6 4.62%
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 22 16.92%
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll 8 6.15%
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift 5 3.85%
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien 8 6.15%
The Princess Bride by William Goldman 11 8.46%
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin 16 12.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #136
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
You've all now left me wondering whether I understood something incorrectly with regards my interpretation of the expression: 'not in the same league'.

Last edited by Ea; 07-04-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #137
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Too many people assuming that the rules of Boolean logic apply to English. They don't. In English double negatives are often used for emphasis.

However, the use of double negatives in English is now generally considered improper, and is occasionally ambiguous.

So don't use no double negatives.
Yes, logic =/ meaning in language

Sad that double negatives have begun to be improper in English - they can be quite meaningful in a subtle way.
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #138
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
There are many threads about many books in the Reading Reco forum. So, start one for American Gods any time you want. It just won't be tagged as Book Club.. that's all.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #139
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There are many threads about many books in the Reading Reco forum. So, start one for American Gods any time you want. It just won't be tagged as Book Club.. that's all.

BOb
No problem. Please. I just wanted to find out if there were any prior interest before I started it. Just like I did with the "The road" discussion thread once a long while ago. Hope I haven't over-stepped any rules - sorry if I have
Old 07-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #140
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Hope I haven't over-stepped any rules - sorry if I have
No not at all. The book club is here to encourage discussions.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #141
Ea
Wizard

Don't know if it's "au fait" to bump my own post, but I really wanted to know about this:
Quote:
You've all now left me wondering whether I understood something incorrectly with regards my interpretation of the expression: 'not in the same league'.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #142
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Don't know if it's "au fait" to bump my own post, but I really wanted to know about this:
My understanding is the same as yours.

If X is not "in the same league" as "Y" means that X is significantly less than, not as good as Y.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #143
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Perhaps I have an incorrect understanding of the term 'not in the same league', but while they certainly technically (logically) say the same thing, it's my understanding that, for example, 'P is not in the same league as B' implies that P is worse than B - or in a lesser league. So to me, you first said that 'Paksenarrion' was in a higher league than AG.
Absolutely right. Saying "A is not in the same league as B" means "B is a lot better than A".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #144
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMason View Post
Both Gaiman and his friend, Terry Pratchett, use the fantasy genre in ways that raise the game considerably. And they are a lot funnier than the usual fantasy writers are. Their collaboration on 'Good Omens' is a wonderful book. Pratchett's writings should appeal to the philosopher in you: "Small Gods" is perhaps one of the best pieces of (anti)theological writing of the last fifty years. If Dennet, Dawkins and co had his lightness of touch, they'd make a lot more headway.
That reference to Pratchett along with a video I saw today on the BBC News site, my love of Gaiman's Sandman graphic novel series, and a PM from someone who shall remain anonymous have all conspired to convince me that Neil Gaiman's American Gods should be moved up several places in my To Be Read folder. Still, with all else I have on my plate, I don't really wish to read it soon enough to participate in a discussion outside the Book Club. (Sorry, Ea!)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-04-2010 at 07:00 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:45 AM   #145
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I liked this months book better than the last one, and will be reading the continuation. Divided Allegiance. It's not nail biting but entertaining enough.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:44 AM   #146
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'd be interested in a discussion thread for American Gods. I'll re-read it as soon as I'm done my exam on Wednesday.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:06 AM   #147
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I'd be interested in a discussion thread for American Gods. I'll re-read it as soon as I'm done my exam on Wednesday.
Good luck with the exam!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:09 AM   #148
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That reference to Pratchett along with a video I saw today on the BBC News site, my love of Gaiman's Sandman graphic novel series, and a PM from someone who shall remain anonymous have all conspired to convince me that Neil Gaiman's American Gods should be moved up several places in my To Be Read folder. Still, with all else I have on my plate, I don't really wish to read it soon enough to participate in a discussion outside the Book Club. (Sorry, Ea!)
I hold no grudge

I liked Gaiman's comment about gutters and drains (in the video)
Old 07-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #149
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Okay, so now you have to tell us which book you are talking about.
It was, indeed, "American Gods." I may or may not apologize for any ambiguity.

Last edited by Poppa1956; 07-05-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Eschew sesquipedalian verbiage when the diminutive will suffice.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #150
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Good luck with the exam!
Thank you!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote