Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #136
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi!

BRiss won't work with java 1.5 at the moment. If I have some time I'll check for the reasons

Best regards,
laborg

Last edited by laborg; 10-15-2010 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Removed File because it wasn't working
laborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #137
elevenbulls
elevenbulls began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank You! ...but...

I was able to launch the copy of Briss you attached with no problem, simply by clicking on it. However, after selecting a file to load, it seems to freeze. I've tried twice, let it say "loading PDF" for as long as 20 minutes, but it's never gotten past that. The PDFs I've tried to load are about 120 pages long.
elevenbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 02:48 AM   #138
kidblue
Connoisseur
kidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Mine is also stuck on "loading PDF", same version/set-up as above. Loading a 100-page, 200k file, not big at all.
kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:33 AM   #139
kidblue
Connoisseur

Anyone have any luck getting the 1.5-optimized version to run?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #140
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@kidblue, I've added a possible solution to your screenplay problem in your original Calibre forum post. Just in case it takes a while before BRISS is working on your particular PC config.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #141
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
"Opting out given pages from merging" option in 0.0.11 is really good.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:13 AM   #142
luma
luma began at the beginning.

Device: none
good job on new release!
luma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:41 AM   #143
kidblue
Connoisseur

Crazy question - Is there any way this or another program could "squeeze" a cropped PDF - i.e. make it "skinny" enough but then "longer" to crop? Does that make any sense?
Old 10-17-2010, 02:51 AM   #144
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
Crazy question - Is there any way this or another program could "squeeze" a cropped PDF - i.e. make it "skinny" enough but then "longer" to crop? Does that make any sense?
Do you want to make it single page and single column "very very long" pdf? So you don't need to turn the pages? Am I getting you right?
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:00 AM   #145
kidblue
Connoisseur

Yup. What I'd really like to do is take a formatted, text-based PDF and "squeeze" it so yes, it would be longer. More importantly, it would extend the length of the page but allow the margins to be maintained.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #146
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm not sure I understand. In the process, do you want it to stretch out all the letters, and make them taller than the font's letters usually are relative to the width? Wouldn't that look kind of funny?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #147
kidblue
Connoisseur

It would look funny, but it would retain formatting, which I would prefer. I'm trying to read screenplays, in which dialogue is center-justified but description and scene-headings are normal, left-justified. I'd like to "squeeze" the page to the width of my Kindle, even if it stretches, because the dialogue really wouldn't affected. This making any sense?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #148
hupple
hupple began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Did I do something wrong, Briss only keep the content of Bookmarks, but lost the links of Bookmarks. I can see the bookmarks but if you click one, nothing happened.
hupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #149
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
It would look funny, but it would retain formatting, which I would prefer. I'm trying to read screenplays, in which dialogue is center-justified but description and scene-headings are normal, left-justified. I'd like to "squeeze" the page to the width of my Kindle, even if it stretches, because the dialogue really wouldn't affected. This making any sense?
I know how to do that with the pdfpages package for pdflatex; some samples are attached. This might be kind of involved for someone who doesn't already know LaTeX, and quite a lot of software to install for so simple a task if this is all you were using it for. If you know what you're doing, it could be scripted, though.

So, see the samples. Basically, I created stretch.pdf by creating a TeX document with the following code:

Code:
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{pdfpages}
\begin{document}
\includepdf[pages=-,width=3in,height=6in,fitpaper]{normal.pdf}
\end{document}
Put it in the same folder as normal.pdf and ran pdflatex on the code.

Obviously you would need to change the width and height to the dimensions of the Kindle screen, which I don't know offhand.

A lot of tweaking would have to be done to ensure that things like metadata were preserved.

It might also be possible to do something like this with Inkscape or Ghostscript, but again, probably not in a user-friendly, straightforward way. If you really wanted to discuss it further, however, let's create a new thread on the idea, and not hijack the BRISS thread. (I wouldn't recommend adding this feature to BRISS...)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf stretch.pdf (40.6 KB, 300 views)
File Type: pdf normal.pdf (39.9 KB, 377 views)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #150
kidblue
Connoisseur

New thread started.

Tags
cropping pdf, pdf