Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-02-2021, 10:34 PM   #136
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Kindles and kobo had no major upgrades as well. (Exferpt maybe for wireless charging on the paperwhite)So I dont see why nook is getting picked on...😂
Hmmm... I look at my Kobo Sage. Note taking support with a stylus, audiobooks using Bluetooth, 5Ghz WiFi support, quad core CPU. All of these are fairly major upgrades compared to my Forma (the previous 8" device in Kobo's lineup). I look at the Kobo Elipsa devices that corporate uses. 10.3" display, stylus, etc.

As you mentioned, wireless charging on the Paperwhite 5 Signature edition as an ereader innovation from Amazon. I must admit to having played with wireless charging on my Forma using an external Qi adapter and I have a USB-C version of that adapter on order for my Sage. They do make it handy to drop your ereader on the charge pad while watching a hockey game and grabbing it back to read during the commercials.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:38 PM   #137
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
"... while watching a hockey game and grabbing it back to read during the commercials."

Hey! I thought I was the only person who specifically did this!
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2021, 11:09 PM   #138
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
while watching a hockey game and grabbing it back to read during the commercials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianbk View Post
]Hey! I thought I was the only person who specifically did this!
We are not alone. We are an army.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:46 AM   #139
rhyta
Enthusiast
rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4 Pearl Pink, ST Nook w/Glowlight (2)
Smile

Quote:
We are not alone. We are an army.
Yep, multi-tasking at its finest. Hockey is right up there with reading for me.

I like what I have seen of the Glowlight 4, it looks like there isn't an amber screen which I would prefer. I got rid of my Glowlight 3 because of that.

Will have to go and check one out on the 8th
rhyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:26 AM   #140
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
How much RAM memory does this thing have? I think I read 4G back in this thread. The ntx_hwconfig says 1G. OTOH, that config clearly has sloppiness/errors. 1G would be kind of cheesy, 4G would be too deluxe for B&N.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2021, 09:09 AM   #141
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyta View Post
I like what I have seen of the Glowlight 4, it looks like there isn't an amber screen which I would prefer.
the Glowlight 4 DOES have amber screen. They call it Night Mode.

Night Mode
There are two ways to activate Night Mode.
Manual: Adjust the light yourself.
Auto: Mimics the sun’s natural progression throughout the day.

Quote:
I got rid of my Glowlight 3 because of that.
Why? You can just turn it off.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #142
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmmm... I look at my Kobo Sage. Note taking support with a stylus, audiobooks using Bluetooth, 5Ghz WiFi support, quad core CPU. All of these are fairly major upgrades compared to my Forma (the previous 8" device in Kobo's lineup). I look at the Kobo Elipsa devices that corporate uses. 10.3" display, stylus, etc.
The Glowlight 4 has a better processor (I think the same one as the Sage?), Carta 1200 screen, quadruple the storage, lighter weight, smaller size, USB-C.

To me, these aren't major improvements. But then, to me the Sage isn't a huge upgrade over the Forma either. Both are incremental upgrades.

At any rate, it's more of an upgrade than the Libra H2O->Libra 2 upgrade.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-03-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #143
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I honestly don’t know why people think smaller bezels is an upgrade.

One of the very best things about the nook series in my view has always been how wonderful it is to hold in hand with plenty of space for your hands and fingers without touching the screen.

I really don’t like to see them going down the path of every other E reader. It’s nice to have variety in hardware lineups
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #144
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:

As you mentioned, wireless charging on the Paperwhite 5 Signature edition as an ereader innovation from Amazon. I must admit to having played with wireless charging on my Forma using an external Qi adapter and I have a USB-C version of that adapter on order for my Sage. They do make it handy to drop your ereader on the charge pad while watching a hockey game and grabbing it back to read during the commercials.
True about the stlus but it has to be purchased separately and besides you don't need it to take notes. Correct??

I'm guessing BN will probably have an updated larger ereader as well. Maybe next year??
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #145
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
True about the stlus but it has to be purchased separately and besides you don't need it to take notes. Correct??
If you have a Surface Pen, that works on the Sage too.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #146
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

To me, these aren't major improvements. But then, to me the Sage isn't a huge upgrade over the Forma either. Both are incremental upgrades.
If upgrading the CPU, adding bluetooth, audiobooks and note taking are to you just incremental upgrades, what WOULD you consider a major improvement?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:43 PM   #147
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
If upgrading the CPU, adding bluetooth, audiobooks and note taking are to you just incremental upgrades, what WOULD you consider a major improvement?
CPU, is the most obvious upgrade. It is nice to see how fast the new Paperwhite is.

Bluetooth, audiobooks and note taking are features I would never use and have no interest in. Audiobooks in particular seem like a feature better served by a phone.

Ereaders are pretty solid as is. I wasn't trying to make a negative comment about the state of ereaders as much as I was pushing back on the argument that the Glowlight 4 is not a major improvement whereas the Sage is a major improvement. Especially when both got the same processor update.

One thing I would like to see is a 6" reader from Nook, Kindle or Kobo that has amber lighting AND waterproofing. That would be nice. Seems like an obvious and easy thing. I'm guessing the profit margin isn't there, but really, how much could it cost to add amber LEDs to the old 6" Glowlight Plus?

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-03-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #148
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
CPU, I dunno. It is nice to see how fast the new Paperwhite is, maybe when I see it in action on the Nook, it'll be a bigger deal to me. That is the most obvious upgrade.

Bluetooth, audiobooks and note taking are features I would never use and have no interest in. Audiobooks in particular seem like a feature better served by a phone.

They don't actually interest me much either. My question was bout you describing them as "incremental" upgrades. The Cambridge English dictionary gives this defintion and example "small: Changes at the newspaper are more incremental than radical."

That certainly is the standard usage of the word today, and that's why I asked. Regardless of whether they are features one uses or not, the listed changes are hardly "small", since they radically transform the functionality of the device, adding several completely new features.

Since you define those changes as "small" (as per the standard definition/usage of incremental") , I asked what sort of changes you consider to be more than incremental. Unless "incremental" in your idiolect means "not something that interests me"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:24 PM   #149
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
They don't actually interest me much either. My question was bout you describing them as "incremental" upgrades. The Cambridge English dictionary gives this defintion and example "small: Changes at the newspaper are more incremental than radical."

That certainly is the standard usage of the word today, and that's why I asked. Regardless of whether they are features one uses or not, the listed changes are hardly "small", since they radically transform the functionality of the device, adding several completely new features.

Since you define those changes as "small" (as per the standard definition/usage of incremental") , I asked what sort of changes you consider to be more than incremental. Unless "incremental" in your idiolect means "not something that interests me"
It's like buying a TV with a voice activated remote control, or a PC that has a DVD-ROM burner.

These are features that I have no interest in and would not be willing to pay for. If they added a penny to the cost, I would be mad. If they add mothing to the cost, fine. But is it really an upgrade? No.

Think of the short lived attempt at 3D TVs. Not every added feature is an upgrade.

Beyond this, I'll let it go. Agree with me or don't, I don't want to waste time on semantics.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-03-2021 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:36 AM   #150
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyta View Post
I like what I have seen of the Glowlight 4, it looks like there isn't an amber screen which I would prefer. I got rid of my Glowlight 3 because of that. ...
Quote:
the Glowlight 4 DOES have amber screen. They call it Night Mode. ...

Why? You can just turn it off.
I don't understand that either. Just touch the "off" button and "night mode" is gone.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook