Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2021, 10:56 PM   #136
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I've just done a search for "libra buttons" here at MR, and the overwhelming majority of mentions of problems are posts from you saying that you've heard of such problems.
It's a one-man conspiracy theory, baby!

Quote:
I'm definitely another one of the myriad "trouble-free" Libra button users.
Actually. that's good to hear. I was looking at getting a new reader and only the Libra suits me. But I can't handle one in person before I buy and I'm not the type to send something back five or six times to get 'the perfect one'

But I really did hear bad stuff about the Libra page turn buttons and not only from the voices in my head. There's a couple of YouTube videos and there were posts in this thread and the one in the Kobo forum mentioning that the Libra 2's buttons look like an improvement.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:02 AM   #137
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
There's a couple of YouTube videos and there were posts in this thread and the one in the Kobo forum mentioning that the Libra 2's buttons look like an improvement.

I would take that Manpreet Singh YT guy with a healthy dose of salt - he complained that the Libra only comes in 2 colours when the same was true of the Kindle he was comparing it to - just a different two. I have no problem with subjective preferences for one brand over another, but do have an issue when it's presented as objectivity. I also posted to his review with my usage stats, well over 100,000 "pages" (clicks), with no issue at all so far.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2021, 07:01 AM   #138
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I just received notice that my Libra 2 shipped. Says it will arrive on the 20th.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:27 PM   #139
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
My latest fear with the Sage is the potential for significantly worse battery performance than previous Kobo readers with 1200mah batteries because of the quad core 1.8ghz processor.

There are a lot of things causing me to be doubtful about this model, which is a good sign it will be the device of the year and best Kobo ever.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:46 PM   #140
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm curious about the importance of the battery size and the Power Cover. It seems to me that it would take quite intensive use to cause the device to be charged even as often as once every 5 days. Once every 7-10 days would seem more likely even for several hours use a day. I'm wondering why simply charging it overnight once a week is considered so unacceptable an option that a "smaller" battery is viewed as a negative, requiring the purchase of an accessory that adds around 25% to the price - to say nothing of the extra weight.
Advert
Old 10-17-2021, 01:06 AM   #141
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I'm wondering why simply charging it overnight once a week is considered so unacceptable an option that a "smaller" battery is viewed as a negative, requiring the purchase of an accessory that adds around 25% to the price - to say nothing of the extra weight.
I do not believe that this will be possible - especially not if you use it as a Notes device.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:44 AM   #142
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I'm curious about the importance of the battery size and the Power Cover. It seems to me that it would take quite intensive use to cause the device to be charged even as often as once every 5 days. Once every 7-10 days would seem more likely even for several hours use a day. I'm wondering why simply charging it overnight once a week is considered so unacceptable an option that a "smaller" battery is viewed as a negative, requiring the purchase of an accessory that adds around 25% to the price - to say nothing of the extra weight.
I love the battery life of my Kobos that I've used for my daily reading (A touch, Glo, and Glo HD). I charge about every 2 weeks. I currently read probably 1 to 2 hours a day, and charge at 30%.

My mother, on the other hand, is complaining about battery life on her Forma; she has to plug it in every night now. She reads probably 7-8 hours a day. No complaints when she first got it, but now she is annoyed. She is 88 and appreciates having an ereader. The Forma was a good reader for her: it was light and has been very durable (she can be rough on equipment).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:50 AM   #143
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I love the battery life of my Kobos that I've used for my daily reading (A touch, Glo, and Glo HD). I charge about every 2 weeks. I currently read probably 1 to 2 hours a day, and charge at 30%.

My mother, on the other hand, is complaining about battery life on her Forma; she has to plug it in every night now. She reads probably 7-8 hours a day. No complaints when she first got it, but now she is annoyed. She is 88 and appreciates having an ereader. The Forma was a good reader for her: it was light and has been very durable (she can be rough on equipment).
If she has to plug it in every night after 7-8 hours reading, I'd say the shorter battery life is doing her a favor by forcing her to turn it off and get some sleep
Old 10-17-2021, 06:58 AM   #144
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
If she has to plug it in every night after 7-8 hours reading, I'd say the shorter battery life is doing her a favor by forcing her to turn it off and get some sleep
She naps plenty during the day.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:55 AM   #145
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
'Even though the Sage has yet to be released, can one state with a fair degree of assurance that the battery will not last as long as the battery on the Forma, which has a larger battery? (I ask this question mainly due to the production of a power case w/battery for the Sage. Basically, I'm wondering if only the internal battery will be sufficient for reading.)

And ONLY for reading, without having to worry about 'constant' charging.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-17-2021 at 07:58 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:57 AM   #146
RETG
RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It's a one-man conspiracy theory, baby!

Actually. that's good to hear. I was looking at getting a new reader and only the Libra suits me. But I can't handle one in person before I buy and I'm not the type to send something back five or six times to get 'the perfect one'

But I really did hear bad stuff about the Libra page turn buttons and not only from the voices in my head. There's a couple of YouTube videos and there were posts in this thread and the one in the Kobo forum mentioning that the Libra 2's buttons look like an improvement.
I have had no problems with the buttons on my unit. And believing what is on youtube videos posted by someone just wanting to get their videos viewed is ludicrous.

As for their use, you do have to just touch the ends; touching the center does not allow them to function as designed. However, I believe that is similar to any "rocker" style button made and might be why they are referred to as "rocker switches." And that is something easy to get used to for most people. Those who do not adapt, will not like the location of the buttons regardless of where they are located.

As for the "buttons look like an improvement," statement that is a statement that is inconclusive, has no evidence of actual use; and is just guesswork regarding something something that is viewed, not used. And even if used, would only be subjective of the user but at least based on actual use; not guesswork.

Looking at the location of the buttons on the new model, I would say they will not be an improvement (for me); HOWEVER, I could not make a definitive subjective statement if they are or not until I actually used the new unit; therefore, my statement is only conjecture and basically means nothing. And being able to adapt, I would probably easily adapt to the new location and have no problems with the location. However, I do not know that for a fact. One reason to purchase only knowing for a fact, you can return.
RETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:38 AM   #147
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I expect the buttons to register every time I click them, no matter where I press on them.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #148
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Basically, I'm wondering if only the internal battery will be sufficient for reading.
Seriously?! You actually think the battery will be too small to allow the reader to function as a reader? Why?
Old 10-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #149
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
'Even though the Sage has yet to be released, can one state with a fair degree of assurance that the battery will not last as long as the battery on the Forma, which has a larger battery? (I ask this question mainly due to the production of a power case w/battery for the Sage. Basically, I'm wondering if only the internal battery will be sufficient for reading.)

And ONLY for reading, without having to worry about 'constant' charging.
Last time I checked the Forma had a 1200mAh battery which is the same size as listed for the Sage. The only question is the differences in CPU speed and core count and other hardware which is likely to require an improvement to power management to have the same battery life.

So no, one can not state with a fair degree of assurance that the Sage will not last as long as the Forma on a battery charge.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:04 PM   #150
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Last time I checked the Forma had a 1200mAh battery which is the same size as listed for the Sage. The only question is the differences in CPU speed and core count and other hardware which is likely to require an improvement to power management to have the same battery life.

So no, one can not state with a fair degree of assurance that the Sage will not last as long as the Forma on a battery charge.

I've just been googling to find the mAh of the new Paperwhites, and so far have come up empty. Every site repeats Amazon's claims about improved battery life, but no site I've found yet includes battery size in the specifications listing. Perhaps Kobo deserves some credit for being up front about this in a way Amazon has not been.