Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-02-2019, 05:41 AM   #136
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Could you please elaborate? I'm afraid I don't quite understand what point you're trying to make.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #137
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Well, if I read a PDF with the builtin Adobe Reader and I zoom and move the page, for example, at the bottom, if I change page the new page is displayed starting at the bottom, instead of starting at top left as expected. And if I don't wrong, it's the same also for cbz documents.

I would know if there's another alternative e-reader app for Kobo that is better than the builtin one.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #138
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I firmly believe that KOReader and Plato are (much!) nicer to use because of options like the aforementioned fit to page/content width. Trying to manually drag and zoom the PDF around offers an extremely poor experience in comparison, even more so on E Ink. As to whether you'd like the programs, like I said it'll only take a few minutes to give 'em a try.

I wouldn't relate any of that with the Adobe renderer though, which you seem to be doing unless I'm misunderstanding something. KOReader and Plato would still be more or less the same as they are now if they also used an Adobe library. They just happen to be using MuPDF instead. Similarly Nickel should be just about the same if it switched to MuPDF.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #139
frfry
frfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW4
Hello,

Sorry if I missed something, but I'd like to be sure: the update process is just you unzip the new KOreader archive over the former, isn't it?
frfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #140
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@frfry: Yep. Basically, update == install.

With these packages, you'll get a free KFMon update in the process (that includes a reboot).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #141
frfry
frfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheese

OK, thanks.

OT: On Kindle, does the KOreader's Update feature from KUAL make the same thing, or is there actually any difference? I mean, does basically any new archive of KOreader just crush the previous files (keeping settings.reader.lua, the history, and the stuff the user may add like dictionaries), or is there some additional step like removing unused files, running some post-install script, etc. like a kind of linux package manager?
Old 09-10-2019, 06:09 AM   #142
Frenzie
Wizard

Update just overwrites existing files. Nothing fancy.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #143
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, yeah, for all intents and purposes, this behaves exactly like an OTA update (except, with these packages, as I mentioned, you get a free KFMon update ;p).
Old 09-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #144
frfry

Indeed, koreader-ext.sh just "unzip -o" the archive. Thanks for the confirmation, and for all the cool stuff you provide
Old 09-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #145
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Hi, I have just tried to install Plato and Koreader for the first time, on a H20 first gen with the latest software (4.17.xxx) and on a Kobo Mini with the latest software Kobo sent for update (3.19.xx).
I have followed the instructions for one click installation but don't work on both, both have loaded and restarted as for an update,but in both I don't find icons to enter Koreader / plato,they only uploaded the images of the icons in my library as if they were photos.
Both show this message: "[kfmon] not spawning plato.sh: still processing!"
I wonder if my kobos have too new and too old firmware...
Or maybe I didn't understand and should I have also installed KFMon too?
perisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:29 AM   #146
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Ok, I have installed everything again on my mini, after 4 reboot, a long click/info on kfmon log and another reboot Koreader works! Plato doesn't work though.
Idk if this is the right procedure or only luck but whatever lol
Thanks a lot, everything looks really nice.
I haven't tried it again on my H2O because had inserted all the icons (all 300? I believe) in the library, probably this is caused by the new firmware 4.17.xx, I read in the forum that it happened to others that the kobo showed the system images in the library

Last edited by perisiana; 09-17-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #147
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@perisiana: If there's an issue with the FW picking stuff up in hidden folders, it's *conceivable* that the processing of the actual KFMon/Plato/KOReader images was delayed, which would explain the "still processing" message.

I'll see what happens on my own H2O shortly .

I assume when you say Plato still doesn't work that you mean that KFMon is still spitting out a "still processing" warning?

(In which case, since the KFMon button works, could you tap that, and PM me the logfile it'll have created in .adds/kfmon/log/kfmon_dump.log ?)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #148
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, installed 4.17 on my H2O to try a "fresh install" scenario, and, barring the hidden folders SNAFU, everything went as it should have.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #149
perisiana
Connoisseur

I have tried again with the h20, Plato works but, it could only see the files on the SD card and not those on the internal memory.At the same time Kobo tells me he can't read the SD card and that I need to format it lol. I removed everything and installed only Koreader, and everything works fine (the SD card too), still my library show all the png files.
In the Mini: clicking on Plato, sometimes it shows the "still processing" message, sometimes it try to reboot but at the reopening I'm in nickel, I send you the .log asap.
Anyway, I would to thank you, I was thinking of buying a Kindle to read in English and translate entire sentences, but translation in Koreader is fantastic and I don't need it anymore, thanks thanks thanks!!
Old 09-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #150
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, yeah, the log helped .

I'm not quite sure *why* the SQL query is not playing nice with the Plato icon, especially since it appears to sometimes work, but when it fails, to only fail on this specific icon, but I'll look into it.
(Good to have real world feedback from an older FW though, where I would indeed expect to hit a few potential SQL snags ).

----

As for Plato and SD cards, there's a few things about that in the last few releases/pages in the Plato thread.
IIRC, it boils down to: if there's one, it'll prefer to use it instead of internal memory.
I don't recall if *both* can be used at the same time, you'd have to ask @baskerville .

----

EDIT: In any case, Plato requires FW >= 4.6 to run, so, your Mini is out on 3.19, even when KFMon doesn't throw a fit .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-17-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Tags
kfmon, kobo, koreader, plato