Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #136
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren41 View Post
that's pretty disappointing if so.
True, as I do find the Paperwhite a bit slow when I'm in the random mood to browse my library.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #137
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Yes, I did pre-order. I have an ancient Fire that I reserve for color books and comics, but the Paperwhite I currently have is my #1 reading device for e-books. I'm a huge bathtub reader and I almost went for the Oasis a few times, but there was a lot holding me back from splurging on that, so this as an upgrade for me makes perfect sense. Since I subscribe to Unlimited and this will give me six months free of it, it helps with making up some of the cost that way as well.

Still, I realize upgrading doesn't make sense for everyone if this new release doesn't have features that work for the person. I didn't expect Waterproof so that was a surprise.
That's great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Why not just buy a Kobo Forma? That seems to tick all your boxes and it can be ordered from Walmart.
I am definitely considering the Kobo Forma. I hadn't heard of it until last night but have since watched a couple video reviews. I like the library Overdrive integration, although my library wish lists are so huge it may be much easier to just search on my desktop and then just borrow from there like I always have. I'm also a little wary of the asymmetrical case and wish it had buttons on each side. Do you know how the Kobo firmware compares to Kindle? Does it have nice dictionary integration? Anything like X-ray? I do like that it can be purchased at Walmart in case I get one with a bad screen or something and have to return it.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #138
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
I am definitely considering the Kobo Forma... Do you know how the Kobo firmware compares to Kindle?
I've had a Kobo for a few years. But have only played a little with relatives Kindles.

Kobo's software is very customizable. Lots of people like it out of the box, but if there's something you don't like, it can most likely be tweaked.

Kobo uses something called Font Genius that gives control that is superior to Kindle. Font size, line spacing and margins are handled with sliders rather than preassigned set points like Kindle.

Quote:
Does it have nice dictionary integration?
The dictionary function is about the same for both. You highlight a word and choose a dictionary definition. However, Kindle's dictionary (The Oxford Dictionary of English) is top of the line. Kobo's dictionary (I forget which one it uses) has worked fine for me when I've needed it, but even the most ardent Kobo fan will admit Kindle has a better dictionary.

Quote:
Anything like X-ray?
No. The do have (or had?) a feature called Beyond the Book, but it doesn't work with sideloaded books (though neither does X-Ray). All my books are sideloaded, so I wouldn't be able to use either.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #139
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

I feel like I am part of a very small group who cares about having speakers.
There are dozens of us!!

I miss the kindle keyboard with its dual (!) speakers and TTS. It's sad that the new kindles have a much better TTS voice but no TTS interface. You have to use the Voice view feature which is really a screen reader meant for the blind. I tried using voice view a couple of times but it was so clunky I couldn't be bothered.

Such is progress.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #140
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
There are dozens of us!!

I miss the kindle keyboard with its dual (!) speakers and TTS. It's sad that the new kindles have a much better TTS voice but no TTS interface. You have to use the Voice view feature which is really a screen reader meant for the blind. I tried using voice view a couple of times but it was so clunky I couldn't be bothered.

Such is progress.
I don't use TTS much but, a couple times, when reading on my Kindle 3, I've used the feature when my eyes were tired but I wanted to finish a chapter. I mostly followed along even though it was reading to me. (Immersive reading?) At any rate, I don't use the feature much, but I like that it's there.

Meant to add ... also agree with your assessment of Voice View. It's kind of clunky for those who can see. I can understand, however, why it would great for the blind. But it does let you listen to non-TTS enabled books.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-18-2018 at 07:27 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #141
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I am definitely considering the Kobo Forma. I hadn't heard of it until last night but have since watched a couple video reviews. I like the library Overdrive integration, although my library wish lists are so huge it may be much easier to just search on my desktop and then just borrow from there like I always have.
The guy in the big hat answered the other points, but, the Kobo integration is such that when you have the connection between your Kobo and OD accounts, you can borrow using OD web site or app or Libby, and the book will sync to the device. Borrowing on the device is convenient, but, I'm not a fan of using the store on it unless I know exactly what I am after.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:45 AM   #142
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Kobo uses something called Font Genius that gives control that is superior to Kindle. Font size, line spacing and margins are handled with sliders rather than preassigned set points like Kindle.

Just to nitpick... to me, it looks like they both use sliders with preassigned points for font size and weight (although I believe the Kobo's have more "points").

Kindles only have three choices for line spacing and margins.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:18 AM   #143
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just to nitpick... to me, it looks like they both use sliders with preassigned points for font size and weight (although I believe the Kobo's have more "points").

Kindles only have three choices for line spacing and margins.
For the record, there are:

- 24 font sizes
- 15 line spacings
- 8 margin sizes

Tolino is similar to Kindle. Whenever look at their setup, it just feels lacking. Even though I really only use a coupe of the settings in my Kobos.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:30 AM   #144
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For the record, there are:

- 24 font sizes
- 15 line spacings
- 8 margin sizes

Tolino is similar to Kindle. Whenever look at their setup, it just feels lacking. Even though I really only use a coupe of the settings in my Kobos.
And I believe Kindles have 14 font sizes and 5 boldness settings (firmware 5.9.7, which is relatively current).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #145
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
The dictionary function is about the same for both. You highlight a word and choose a dictionary definition. However, Kindle's dictionary (The Oxford Dictionary of English) is top of the line. Kobo's dictionary (I forget which one it uses) has worked fine for me when I've needed it, but even the most ardent Kobo fan will admit Kindle has a better dictionary.
I mainly read on my Kobo and haven't noticed Kindle having a better dictionary. But that may be because you can Google it if needed. I definitely miss that on Kindle.

I love the library integration on my Kobo Aura One. I always browse on a computer (or my phone) and then sync to the Kobo. I don't like shopping on any E-ink device.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #146
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I mainly read on my Kobo and haven't noticed Kindle having a better dictionary. But that may be because you can Google it if needed. I definitely miss that on Kindle.
The Kindle does have a better dictionary. They use the OED. I forget what dictionary Kobo uses, but it's not as thorough. You can search through the Kobo forums. There are discussions of the different dictionaries.

Having said all that, I've never found the Kobo dictionary lacking. It's not like their dictionary is junk.

It's a feature I rarely ever use. When I have used it, it hasn't let me down. There are different reasons I might try a Kindle, but their better dictionary wouldn't be one of them.

When you say "I definitely miss that on Kindle" what are you talking about? That sentence lost me.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #147
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
The Kindle does have a better dictionary. They use the OED. I forget what dictionary Kobo uses, but it's not as thorough. You can search through the Kobo forums. There are discussions of the different dictionaries.

Having said all that, I've never found the Kobo dictionary lacking. It's not like their dictionary is junk.

It's a feature I rarely ever use. When I have used it, it hasn't let me down. There are different reasons I might try a Kindle, but their better dictionary wouldn't be one of them.

When you say "I definitely miss that on Kindle" what are you talking about? That sentence lost me.
I believe that she meant that Kindles can't look things up on google from within the book.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #148
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I believe that she meant that Kindles can't look things up on google from within the book.

Shari
Ah, thank you. I didn't know they ever could. As mentioned, my Kindle experience is limited.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #149
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I love the library integration on my Kobo Aura One.
Totally agree. The ability to easily manage collections, IMHO, gives Kobo the nod over Kindle. And I've had/used many versions of both ereaders and I find that I keep coming back to Kobo specifically for/because of the collections management ease of use.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #150
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:

No. The do have (or had?) a feature called Beyond the Book, but it doesn't work with sideloaded books (though neither does X-Ray). All my books are sideloaded, so I wouldn't be able to use either.
Thank you for reminding me of another issue that frustrated me when I tried the Paperwhite a couple years ago. I hated the limited font options. I remember adding a FONT_RAMP file for additional font sizes, but that only worked with books in the AZW3 format.

If I buy a Kobo I too would sideload all my books because they are almost all purchased on Amazon. Does Beyond the Book work for library books though? That might be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
There are dozens of us!!

Such is progress.
I'm glad to know I'm not alone in wishing for speakers again. It's unfortunate we can't take advantage of the much better TTS voice on the newer models. Is there anyway to update the TTS voice on the Kindle Keyboard? (Without jailbreaking?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The guy in the big hat answered the other points, but, the Kobo integration is such that when you have the connection between your Kobo and OD accounts, you can borrow using OD web site or app or Libby, and the book will sync to the device. Borrowing on the device is convenient, but, I'm not a fan of using the store on it unless I know exactly what I am after.
Oh, that's good to know.

Quote:

Right now I am using WordNet for my dictionary and it works pretty well and displays nicely, but I don't think it's as thorough as the Oxford English dictionary. The OED is a nice Kindle feature, though it's not nice enough to make me overlook everything the new Kindle lacks.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote