Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #136
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yummm, bragware!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:48 AM   #137
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Me, I just want an optional bigger battery. 70 hours is just going to annoy me when I'm not lying around the house.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 02:54 AM   #138
Cookie Monster
Connoisseur
Cookie Monster doesn't litterCookie Monster doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Me, I just want an optional bigger battery. 70 hours is just going to annoy me when I'm not lying around the house.

As you can charge via USB now you could get one of those photovoltaic usb chargers and never be without power ever again.
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:45 AM   #139
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I cant say anything definite about response times of the device, since it was 2 weeks ago that i had a quick look at it, but it felt faster. When i get one in my hand, ill do a video review.

As for the glass layer. There is no real alternative so far for the large screens. The touch screen from plastic logic will probably not let you scribble text. What i have seen, its not precise enough for that.

I also do not know, wether the device without the wacom will have a glass based layer or not. I assume though, that it will, since it would probably make more sense from a production point of view.

The DR1000 series is supposedly alot more robust than the iLiad though. Someone mentioned a drop test from roughly 1 meter hight, leaving the device fully functional. Havent seen that yet, and i am probably not willing to try that, once i get mine
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:13 AM   #140
sanders
Connoisseur
sanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I know the current iLiad has the hardware for pressure sensitivity, but there aren't any applications that use it, are there?
That's because you can't use the "normal" way of developing such an application. The pressure information is "stripped out" before the data is passed to the application, so I had to start at a lower level. That unfortunately means I need to do stylus calibration myself.

I should really get back to this app and bring it to a usable state (i.e. with saving/loading of the scribbles). So many interesting projects, so little time
sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 05:25 AM   #141
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
There is a very important feature of the new DR 1000 series, something that hasn't been covered in the many blog postings yet:

iRex will provide local IDS (iRex Delivery Service) servers for business use in the near future. This way, one person can upload documents to a server, and then the documents will be automatically distributed to a number of 'subscribed' DR 1000s.

This of course is a very important leap forward for e-learning applications, project teams composed of members which are working at different locations, and business documentation and knowledge distribution systems in general. Willem Endhoven told us that the local IDS feature will be available in the near future.

ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #142
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
Marketing chick: Hey guys, I got that prototype, there is a TV on the backside!?!
Engineers: Yea cool, isn't it?
Marketing chick: No! Do you know how expensive a unit is going to be with this? We need a device people actually buy.
Wow, the marketing types are different where you work. Where I was, they were always trying to add silly features to attract specific customers who would only buy the product if it had feature X, but then we wouldn't get that contract anyway.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #143
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Wow, the marketing types are different where you work. Where I was, they were always trying to add silly features to attract specific customers who would only buy the product if it had feature X, but then we wouldn't get that contract anyway.
dude, do you work with me? Although at my place its the sales manager.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #144
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
These days I work in academia, where things are different, but just as silly.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #145
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreras View Post
What I would like to know is if WiFi would decrease average battery life. I mean, they can turn off the CPU, then surely it would be easy to have the WiFi / bluetooth / 3G hardware turned off, right?
The current iLiads turn off wifi when it's not in use, so I would assume the new device will do that as well.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #146
Boreras
Connoisseur
Boreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: TBA
Thank you very much for your reply, Tribble. Guess that means I'll have to be undecided for a week.
Ah, thanks Shaggy, that is good news. The problem with the SW is that the extra you will have to pay for WiFi etc. will, for me, not be worth it.
*edit: maybe that week could end up being quite short!

Last edited by Boreras; 09-23-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Boreras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #147
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

i might have my first own DR 1000S tomorrow. If it arrives on time, i can probably post a small video review on thursday.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #148
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
i might have my first own DR 1000S tomorrow. If it arrives on time, i can probably post a small video review on thursday.
I'll be waiting for it!

Now, if it wouldn't be abusive to request you to display 2 or 3 kinds of PDF and maybe a manga (japanese comic) page too...
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #149
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I'll be waiting for it!

Now, if it wouldn't be abusive to request you to display 2 or 3 kinds of PDF and maybe a manga (japanese comic) page too...
Can you send me a sample page to shop(at)justread.de?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #150
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Tribble, that's way cool. You don't happen to be in Münster tomorrow, do you?
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote