Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #136
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Maybe

Here is what I see
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle2.png
Views:	280
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	142749  
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #137
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Maybe

Here is what I see
Yup--just drop the file right there--don't put it inside a folder.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #138
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I have the explanation of my previous "failures":

I used this set of values already published (rather smaller font-sizes):
7.13 7.81 8.49 9.17 9.85 10.53 11.21 11.89

When you look at the menu, it seems nothing changed.
"Only issue is that the 'preview' sizes you get on the font menu stay the same."

For this reason, I thought it was not working but when I tried even with the biggest font-size, it was OK.

Thanks for your kind help.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:36 AM   #139
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Will this work for a Voyage?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:06 AM   #140
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
This should probably be in the dev area, but I need to ask why you think it doesn't work with a PW 3? It definitely works on mine...

Shari
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Follow the instructions in this thread exactly https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256969

Shari
Moderator Notice

Threads merged.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #141
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Will this work for a Voyage?
Take a look at the first page.

Not only will this work on the Voyage -- it was originally discovered on the Voyage.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #142
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Take a look at the first page.

Not only will this work on the Voyage -- it was originally discovered on the Voyage.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #143
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Before I try this on my Voyage, if i don't like the results is it just a case of removing the file? It doesn't disappear does it?

Also I use Send to Kindle for mobi files, when they download are they azw format and therefore will this hack work for them? I rarely read books actually bought from Amazon

Thank you

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-11-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #144
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Just remove the file and reboot, yes.

You will need to start using AZW3 in order to see results.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #145
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just remove the file and reboot, yes.

Thanks for the reply. It won't work for me then as I don't sideloaded, I only read my ebooks via the Amazon Cloud.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #146
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Now that we are talking about this, I was wondering why Amazon doesn't support AZW3 format for the personal documents?!!!
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #147
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

If they supported sending AZW3, then there would be no fallback for devices that only support MOBI.

And as a matter of fact, if you send a dual-MOBI through Personal Documents, you DO get an AZW3 (on supported devices). This directly imitates how the KDP publishing workflow operates.
Note: that has its own bug, specifically you will be missing the cover thumbnail in Cover View.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #148
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If they supported sending AZW3, then there would be no fallback for devices that only support MOBI.

And as a matter of fact, if you send a dual-MOBI through Personal Documents, you DO get an AZW3 (on supported devices). This directly imitates how the KDP publishing workflow operates.
Note: that has its own bug, specifically you will be missing the cover thumbnail in Cover View.
The cover is important to me so that won't work either. Thanks anyway.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #149
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Well, that's good to know. I am assuming by dual-MOBI you mean an AZW3 file with .mobi as its extension, eh?
Update: Figured it out here.

@Josieb1: That's not too bad actually, but yeah I feel you.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-11-2015 at 12:22 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #150
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
Well, that's good to know. I am assuming by dual-MOBI you mean an AZW3 file with .mobi as its extension, eh?

@Josieb1: That's not too bad actually, but yeah I feel you.
An AZW3 with a *.mobi extension is still an AZW3, the same way a DOCX with the *.monkey extension is still a DOCX.
However, the application handling it may or may not know how to recognize the file if it lies about itself (though unix will rely on magic numbers instead of or in addition to file extensions).

As for Amazon Kindles and dual-MOBI, a dual-MOBI is exactly what it sounds like it should be -- a file that contains both mobi7 and KF8 sections.
Used to display KF8 on newer devices, but still be readable on ancient devices that don't support AZW3, since they can read the mobi7 section of the file.

They have the *.mobi extension though, true enough.
That's how the old devices realize it's a mobi7 file.

Tags
font_ramp