Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #136
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I gave it a quick spin this morning, Kovid. Works great, save as function works fine, fast enough for me. Tested out editor font, also works, too, though first time I tried it, it didn't seem to take, but the second and third times it was fine. I think I am trying with similar fonts so can't see difference. Switched to sans serif and change is clear.

Did a regex search and replace and that worked fine too.

Only request I would have because of way I work is to be able to get to it without opening a file in the calibre library or putting the book into the library. I have never used the library myself. But if that doesn't work for you it is no bigee for me. I have figured out how to get the books into or out of the library.

Thank you very much for coming up with so rapidly and doing it so well. At this stage of Sigil development it was so slow as to be almost unusable. I am sure it will be of great benefit to the calibre user who can stay in a familiar environment when they just need to change a thing or two in their book.

It is now positioned to handle the inevitable, but not necessarily desirable, transition to epub3 or whatever other format comes down the pike.

Excellent!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #137
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I opened my test book by right clicking on a listing in the calibre library.
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #138
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@mrmikel: It comes as a standalone executable as well called ebook-tweak.exe should be available in the same place as calibre.exe

@Griker: If you are running from source, you need to add in an extra step to make it available. Go to Preferences->Tweaks->Plugin Tweaks and add

test_tweak_book = True

then restart calibre.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #139
mrmikel
Color me gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@mrmikel: It comes as a standalone executable as well called ebook-tweak.exe should be available in the same place as calibre.exe
Great! Will set it up that way.

...later. Just tested. No problems.

Last edited by mrmikel; 12-02-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #140
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Hi Kovid,
I'm trying the updated beta
Edit: OS X Mavericks.

I've noticed I got a lot of warnings in the terminal...
Code:
2013-12-02 13:14:30.913 calibre-debug[756:507] CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name "Liberation Serif" and got font with PostScript name "LiberationSerif". For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.
There's lots of them, for Serif and Mono, I then used the Preferences and set 'Courier New' font, when next run I still get a lot of warnings for Liberation and a few for Courier.

Doesn't actually affect the epub editing though.

A couple of other things...

I know it's probably difficult, but... if there are any embedded fonts, could they get 'picked up' for correct displaying in the preview pane.
N.B. Found that if I click the 'Embed referenced fonts' in toolbar (window/dialog says 'No embeddable fonts found'), then close the file's tab and re-open it - they get displayed correctly - so it may just be me doing something incorrectly.

When double-clicking on an image in the browser pane, instead of displaying the 'not-editable' warning, could you show a preview window with the image.
Would allow easier checking of images to get the correct filename for insertion in html.
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #141
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Perkin: Those warnings are harmless and are caused by an incompatibility of Qt with Mavericks, just ignore them.

Embedded fonts should work automatically, with one exception - if the font family name in the actual font and the font family name in the @font-face rule dont match -- in that case they will not work.

Also because of a bug in Qt the embedded fonts may not show up the very first time a page is displayed, just click the refresh button under the preview panel (or make any changes to the file) and they should show up.

There will eventually be an image editor where you can view, crop, rotate etc images.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #142
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I just tried a Rename (W64 bit)
Can we make it rename just the filename part by default (as in current Sigil)?

BTW It works beautiful on a Dual Head rig. I have the preview pane on my 'upper' 1024x768 monitor
Old 12-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #143
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
1.13beta W64
I clicked the calibre_bookmarks entry under Miscellaneous
Code:
typerror:must be unicode, not str
Old 12-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #144
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@theducks: Yeah, currently editing for .txt files is not working, because there is no way to figure out what encoding they need, and the editor only works with utf-8. I will probably add in some encoding auto-detection logic for .txt files, but generally speaking, avoid editing calibre_bookmarks.txt, it is not meant to be edited by humans.

I want renaming to work for files and directories. Tweak Book, unlike Sigil, does not force you to use a particular directory structure and lets you move files around into different directories.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #145
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

I'm using OS X Mavericks

Quote:
@Perkin: Those warnings are harmless and are caused by an incompatibility of Qt with Mavericks, just ignore them.
Thought they could be, just thought you'd like to be informed.

Quote:
Embedded fonts should work automatically, with one exception - if the font family name in the actual font and the font family name in the @font-face rule dont match -- in that case they will not work.

Also because of a bug in Qt the embedded fonts may not show up the very first time a page is displayed, just click the refresh button under the preview panel (or make any changes to the file) and they should show up.
The test file does show correctly in calibre's viewer and on actual readers.
In the test file I'm using I have CSS of
Code:
@font-face {font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; font-family:"ReverseI"; src:url("../Fonts/CharisSILI.ttf");}
.reversei {font-family:"ReverseI",serif; font-weight:normal; font-style:italic; text-indent:0;line-height:1.2em;}
and html is
Code:
  <p class="reversei">One light / ɥʇɐǝp<br />
   Two lights / ʎǝʞ ǝuo<br />
   Three lights / sɥʇnɹʇ oʍʇ<br />
   Four lights / sʇǝɹɔǝs ǝǝɹɥʇ</p>
The font filename is correct, just doesn't display correctly, even when refreshing, unless I press the 'Embed referenced fonts' and then refresh

Quote:
There will eventually be an image editor where you can view, crop, rotate etc images.
Nice.

I was going to change the font-family name in the css [as above] (to 'Charis'), and I noticed that I can't actually edit anything with the keyboard - HTML or CSS
I can select text and drag it around or copy/paste, just can't use keyboard and alter/add anything.

Last edited by Perkin; 12-02-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #146
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
OS X, latest build:
I'm unable to rename files in the Files Browser panel. I right-click, select 'Rename…', the text becomes highlighted. When I type nothing is replaced and I hear an OS X error sound.

G
Old 12-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #147
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Perkin: Embedded fonts work for me, I'll need a test file to reproduce the issue with.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 12-02-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #148
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Griker: OS X is weird I haven't a clue what could be causing that. I'll look into it if I can get my daughter away from my OS X machine (which drives the TV)
Old 12-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #149
Perkin
Guru

I can't rename files like GRiker either. (Also on OS X)

Including a cut-down epub with embedded font that doesn't show correctly unless I do the 'Embed referenced fonts' - refresh.
Attached Files
File Type: epub new_test.epub (395.7 KB, 159 views)
Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #150
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Perkin: Change the font family name to Charis SIL in the css file and it should work, as I said the font name used in the css has to match the actual name in the font file, otherwise it will not work.

Of course, until that keyboard issue on OS X is sorted out, you will need to make the change with some other program
Closed Thread