Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #136
Caramon77
Enthusiast
Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've had 2 more readers before my Glo and both allowed me to adjust top margin. The way was the simplest. If i enlarged margins the reader did it. Top and side margins. The Nook, if i'm not wrong enlarged side margins of "one unit" and top margin of 1/2.

No matter who wants and who does not, the only logical way is to GIVE THE USER THE CHOICE. I can think al least 2 or 3 methods and i am not a Kobo engineer.
Caramon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #137
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Did the page-count footer always display in the same font you've set the body text to? It looks better, whatever the reason.
The footer used to be capitalised, in 2.8.1 it is not. I think it looks much better now: the footer style exactly matches the kePub header style, and longer chapter titles can fit without being truncated.

There is also a new statistic in the Reading Stats page (the one accessed from the Home screen): Average page turns per minute for the current book. (There is also a small bug: the series name of the current book is truncated to three letters on this page).

The slightly strange behaviour the first time I turn a page after opening a book in 2.6.1 seems to be fixed in 2.8.1: the first page turn is as smooth as the rest.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #138
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramon77 View Post
INCREDIBLE. Top margin, no, then top margin yes, now again NO! It will be the third time i modify all my epubs CSS because the text is too near the bezel. Is it so hard to add an option to allow people choose whether to have or not a top margin??????????????
I just wish they'd pick something and try to stick with it going forward instead of changing thing in every single firmware update.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #139
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I have that checked (I think ). I'm at work right now, but I'll experiment a bit this evening with sending a few more epubs to my Aura with 'convert to kepub' enabled (my standard setting) to see whether I can get a feeling for which work and which don't. I can PM you one that works and one that hangs on opening with 2.8.1 if you want.

I have opened bug 1204504 for this.
I just read the bug. My first thought was to wonder if you had added "FullBookPageNumbers=true" to the configuration file on the device. When I played with that, it sometimes caused something like what you described. I would be interested in seeing the examples. But, jgoguen maintains the extended driver which does the "convert to kepub". You should report it in the extended driver thread or using the instructions at the start of the thread.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #140
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by byblo View Post
This update seems to be mainly cosmetic, almost no bug fixes.

Bah...
Actually, this update was (according to what the beta group was told) mostly about the back end with some important bug fixes (like the bold/italics issue) and display changes (like the top margins in epubs). FWIW, last year at this time, FW changes were in abeyance as the change over to the ACCESS back end for kepubs was being worked on.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #141
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The footer used to be capitalised, in 2.8.1 it is not. I think it looks much better now: the footer style exactly matches the kePub header style, and longer chapter titles can fit without being truncated.

There is also a new statistic in the Reading Stats page (the one accessed from the Home screen): Average page turns per minute for the current book. (There is also a small bug: the series name of the current book is truncated to three letters on this page).
I have 2.6.1 and footer is not capitalized.
Average page turns per minute is also shown in 2.6.1, has the total hours of reading been fixed? In 2.6.1 the last number is sometimes partially cut off.

This is on Aura, maybe the above is new for 2.8.1 on Kobo glo devices?

In 2.6.1 Series name is truncated at nine characters with... Followed by number so three in 2.8.1 is certainly different and there is plenty of room for more text so I would agree that it is a bug.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #142
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Any news of a release for the older Touches? I'm still on 2.6.1a and I'm curious. (Although I suppose if they stopped supporting the older touches I might be able to use that to justify buying an Aura. Hmnn... :P )
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #143
kevenv
Enthusiast
kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Any news of a release for the older Touches? I'm still on 2.6.1a and I'm curious. (Although I suppose if they stopped supporting the older touches I might be able to use that to justify buying an Aura. Hmnn... :P )
I just side loaded the update onto my wife's Touch (model 905C). It works fine. Only one minor glitch during the whole process, it removed 8 books from one of the shelves (leaving it empty). As soon as I hooked it up to Calibre it was sorted out.
kevenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #144
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:

Also, talking about something else, the French dictionary still unavailable to use (not the only one, Deutch, Japanese, ...), which is completely a dumb, egoistic and mediocre choice from the dictionary's publishers, since sometimes I cannot even know properly what a word is...
And of course, theres no links inside the dictionary popup, which could jump from a definition to another by clicking the words.

Nice way to reduce an useful feature. Its like they doing it on purpose to disappoint people the most they can.
Have to agree here. And it is astonishing how they messed up a simple standard feature like using a (specific!) dictionary ergonomically. It's not exactly rocket science to come up with a standard way to use dictionaries (let the user at least define the default one ....).

Quote:

Also, I almost forgot the inability to change the font if the ebook specified one. Why giving the options if its to restrict it ? I remember in old firmware pictures there was a check box in the fonts option, something called "Kobo Style" or something like that. Was it an option to force fonts choices? Or what was the purpose of it ?
Even if you consider the fact that epub-embedded fonts are not overwritten with the user's choice a 'feature' (which, from my point of view is just a bad excuse for a blatant firmware issue) the fact that the user does not receive a notification after trying to set the font (and/or the fact that the affected dialogues are not greyed out for books where they have no effect) has to be considered as either a bug or very bad software design.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #145
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
How true. I think Kobo is trying to respond to customer requests, but are having trouble with the requests being conflicted. (I'm in agreement with you: the text is now too close to the bezel. I'm guessing that others want it closer. I also find it annoying how text gets chopped off when the top bar is visible. Others clearly disagree. Etc.)
How difficult is it to get the message that receiving 'conflicting' requests about a feature/design aspect like, e.g., top margin size indicate that options have to be introduced in order to please all users at the same time?
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #146
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
Unless I'm missing something, I'm finding I can no longer page through content in library view...you have to put in the page number and then "go". That's a pain. That said, it's possible to view more than 5 books, so you can see more per page. I like to page through some of my books every once in awhile. Otherwise, I forget what I have with over 400 or so books... and not everything is on shelves yet.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #147
edwinvr
edwinvr began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Updated manually! Let's hope this solves the annoying random standby and power off issues I experienced lately.
edwinvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #148
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
I have a KT v905 and it worked for me (sideloaded).

Remember YMMV.

V
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #149
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tea2 View Post
Unless I'm missing something, I'm finding I can no longer page through content in library view...you have to put in the page number and then "go". That's a pain. That said, it's possible to view more than 5 books, so you can see more per page. I like to page through some of my books every once in awhile. Otherwise, I forget what I have with over 400 or so books... and not everything is on shelves yet.
You can swipe through the pages.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #150
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I tested the 2.8.1 update on a friend's Touch N905B -- we were upsizing the internal uSD card so perfect time to test. The upgrade went without problems though the Mini and Touch do not get the tiled interface.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote