Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #136
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Frankly, I wouldn't mind paying $.99 an episode for quality shows... although I may be in the minority. I wonder how much ad revenue is when broken out per viewer for a show. Is that info out there anywhere?
I wouldn't mind paying $.99 for a television episode I like, as long as I can watch it on Hulu first to make sure it's for me, and I can own and access it permanently. So although I hate the idea of cloud computing... if I could download and locally store shows I bought, but also have an additional layer of backup on Amazon servers, I might consider purchasing shows by episode rather than DVD.

If I couldn't record over the air broadcast, I would sign up for a subscription service like Netflix or Hulu Plus, rather than pay a monthly cable fee.

I mainly borrow or buy shows on DVD, or record shows and skip the commercials. I see no ethical issues with skipping commercials. My viewing does not count toward the ratings, and I would not buy any of the products advertised anyway... and no amount of commercials would change my mind. I support the shows I love by making sure I eventually buy the DVDs.

I haven't watched live television since 2003, and I'd rather throw out my TV than watch commercials.

At the same time, I have a strong appreciation for the companies that do product placement to support my low-rated but critically-acclaimed favorite show. (If I ever decide to eat fast food or drive an oversized vehicle, I might even consider purchasing those products.) But if I was somehow forced to watch commercials? My appreciation would turn to utter disdain.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #137
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I didn't notice if anyone commented on this, but I see that if you buy your MP3s from Amazon, they don't count in your space usage (for the 5 GB free or for the paid accounts). So to me, this is like having an MP3 bookshelf.

I don't use iTunes, so I don't know how that works. Does iTunes do the same (allow you to redownload MP3s you've purchased?)

Since I do use Amazon for the MP3s I buy, I'll happily take advantage of having free online storage for them. Don't have to use up my Dropbox GB for my music collection now!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #138
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I didn't notice if anyone commented on this, but I see that if you buy your MP3s from Amazon, they don't count in your space usage (for the 5 GB free or for the paid accounts). So to me, this is like having an MP3 bookshelf.

I don't use iTunes, so I don't know how that works. Does iTunes do the same (allow you to redownload MP3s you've purchased?)
iTunes does not allow you to re-download purchased music (but if your hard drive crashes, they will make a one-time exception) And, until you mentioned this feature, neither did Amazon. Or Zune Marketplace for that matter.

Sounds like something new, and that feature is actually one that I am curious how Amazon is going to get around the record companies with, because no major digital music vendor (to my knowledge) has negotiated re-downloads with the major record labels.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #139
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
iTunes does not allow you to re-download purchased music (but if your hard drive crashes, they will make a one-time exception) And, until you mentioned this feature, neither did Amazon. Or Zune Marketplace for that matter.

Sounds like something new, and that feature is actually one that I am curious how Amazon is going to get around the record companies with, because no major digital music vendor (to my knowledge) has negotiated re-downloads with the major record labels.
That's weird. The apple app store remembers your app purchase so you can delete an app and if you decide to download it again you won't be charged. But I guess music is a whole other kettle o fish.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #140
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
That's weird. The apple app store remembers your app purchase so you can delete an app and if you decide to download it again you won't be charged. But I guess music is a whole other kettle o fish.
Apple is able to force developers to allow unlimited downloads. They are also able to force the book publishers to allow unlimited downloads. They are unable to force music, movie or TV show studios to allow unlimited downloads. Yet.

If Amazon can do it, then hopefully both Apple and Microsoft will be able to as well.
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 12:34 AM   #141
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Well, it seems to me, this offering "cloud" storage is Amazon's way around not being authorized to allow re-downloads. I get to have "cloud" access to my purchased MP3s and Amazon isn't officially allowing re-downloads. They're just giving me a place to save the MP3s and access them there myself.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:50 AM   #142
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
I wouldn't mind paying $.99 for a television episode I like, as long as I can watch it on Hulu first to make sure it's for me, and I can own and access it permanently. So although I hate the idea of cloud computing... if I could download and locally store shows I bought, but also have an additional layer of backup on Amazon servers, I might consider purchasing shows by episode rather than DVD.
ninety nine cents is probably still a bit too high. I dislike advertisements as well, even though I realize that your post as well as mine is an advertisement in its own way.

What you are asking for is an abolishment of copyright as it pertains to a current form of intellectual property. I agree with you here. Personally I feel there is enough "money" going around to fuel the creators and then some. Buying some cloud space to store television shows along with other things would probably work pretty good.

We will have to be convinced that we are paying for the space and not show.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #143
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
We're everywhere. We've even infiltrated Angry Birds Rio.

Check this monkey painting: http://my.deviantart.com/messages/#/d326pgn

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #144
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Personally I feel there is enough "money" going around to fuel the creators and then some.
Where would this money come from without advertising revenue?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #145
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Check this monkey painting: http://my.deviantart.com/messages/#/d326pgn

Needs a password.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #146
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Where would this money come from without advertising revenue?
Is advertising still really the main source of income for TV? I would have thought all those phone in and vote so you can influence the outcome of a pre-recorded talent show, or phone in to guess the answer to the question what colour is green sort of things would generate a large proportion of it. Most of the advertising revenue went online years ago, that was why they started having product placement instead.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #147
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That certainly works for programmes like "The X-Factor", but it doesn't really apply to most commercial TV. The Advertising Standards Authority has just given approval for product placement to be used (with strict controls) on British TV, so I'm sure that it will play a role in the future, but it's not currently permitted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #148
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Needs a password.
Sorry, guess you have to have an account.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #149
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That certainly works for programmes like "The X-Factor", but it doesn't really apply to most commercial TV.
When all those vote the outcome of pre-recorded programme scams were outlawed for a few months a couple of years ago ITV's profit dropped £100million, so I think it does account for a quite large slice of their revenue.

Their profit for last year was £321million, so it looks to me like phone scams are responsible for at least a third of that, but more likely about half? They were only outlawed for a few months, not a full year.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #150
kjk

Amazon to record labels...back off
http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/12/amazon...not-necessary/

Quote:
“We are not looking for licenses for Cloud Drive or Cloud Player as they exist today — as no licensees are required.”