Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #136
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
So, is the upgrade worth it? Are the screens/resolution better than the original Fire 7?
Thanks.
S
What do you mean by "original Fire 7"? There have been 4 versions of the Fire 7 - 2011, 2012, 2015, and 2017. This article compares the last 2 versions - 2017 vs 2015.

Amazon just launched a new version of its wildly popular $50 tablet
Quote:
The upgrades are modest. Amazon says the new Fire 7 is a pinch lighter and thinner than the last model — now 10.4 ounces and 9.6 millimeters thick, versus 11 ounces and 10.6 millimeters — and will have slightly better battery life this time around (eight hours per charge, up from seven).

Amazon is adding dual-band Wi-Fi support, too, though there's still nothing for faster 802.11ac connections. The tablets also come in red, blue, and yellow, as well as the standard black.

Most notably, Amazon says the Fire 7's 7-inch display will have "sharper text" and higher contrast, so it should look a bit more vibrant. That said, it's not upgrading from a very good display, and Amazon says the screen's resolution will stay at a fairly low 1024 x 600. We'll have to see how it holds up in testing.

Other than that, all the Fire 7's vitals are the same. You still get the same matte plastic design with the same processor, 1 GB of RAM, and Amazon-heavy software that was on the previous models, Alexa support and all. It should run like the last model, which is to say decent for a $50 tablet.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #137
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Do you mean a Fire TV stick? (Kindle's are the eInk readers and reading apps [and older tablets])

It's nice if you have Primes, Netflix, Hulu, but stuff like that which all cost $$$. If you have a TV subscription (Cable, Satellite) some of your subscribed channels may have apps you log in to with your provider account and can use to watch stuff (some of these apps also allow limited free content too). There are also free apps like Tubi TV, Pluto TV, Popcorn Flix, Crackle, CW Seed etc. which have free content.
The fire stick is becoming obsolete as you can get a smartTV with the apps available. I have a TV with Amazon, Netflix, and other apps. What could I get on a Fire TV (4k) that I cannot get on my TV?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #138
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Than the ORIGINAL Fire 7, the gen 1?
Yes. We still have a gen 1, and if nothing else, the new Fire HD 8 is thinner and lighter. I'm sure it's a better screen and better performer overall, but my wife is the user, and does not have much of an opinion on that stuff.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #139
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I have a fifth generation Fire 7. I had to check. For some reason I thought I had bought it a few years before that. Hmm, after reading that article I'm not sure it's worth it to upgrade for me.
Thanks!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #140
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
I have a fifth generation Fire 7. I had to check. For some reason I thought I had bought it a few years before that. Hmm, after reading that article I'm not sure it's worth it to upgrade for me.
Thanks!
S
I also have the 5th gen 7-inch. It looks like going to the 8-inch would be a worthwhile upgrade--better screen resolution and more storage space in addition to the larger screen. I don't know if I can pass it up for $55, especially since I've had intermittent problems with my current tablet already.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #141
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Thanks!
S
I have the 5th gen Fire 7 also and it's definitely not worth upgrading for me. Unless they add something fantastic to a new model, I'll continue using mine until it gives up the ghost.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #142
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The fire stick is becoming obsolete as you can get a smartTV with the apps available. I have a TV with Amazon, Netflix, and other apps. What could I get on a Fire TV (4k) that I cannot get on my TV?
Better updates for one. Smart TV's are notorious (unless they're Roku TV's and to some extent Android TV's) for only getting software updates for a limited time and for not getting their apps updated to the extent/frequency that Fire TV, Roku and Apple TV do. A separate device also can help extend the life of perfectly good equipment as it is something that can be upgraded separately and often for under $100. Smart TV's are great, but not the end all be all.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #143
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have the 5th gen Fire 7 also and it's definitely not worth upgrading for me. Unless they add something fantastic to a new model, I'll continue using mine until it gives up the ghost.
Same. The Fire 7 is a pretty crappy little tablet IMO (not great processor, too little RAM, not very good screen), but it's cheap and works well enough as a beater tablet for this and that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #144
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Better updates for one. Smart TV's are notorious (unless they're Roku TV's and to some extent Android TV's) for only getting software updates for a limited time and for not getting their apps updated to the extent/frequency that Fire TV, Roku and Apple TV do. A separate device also can help extend the life of perfectly good equipment as it is something that can be upgraded separately and often for under $100. Smart TV's are great, but not the end all be all.
In fact, for those very reasons, I would wonder why anyone would pay extra for a smart TV. Get the best display you can, and plug in the little doohickey that best meets your streaming needs. Descrete components optimally chosen, and for about the same price.

Having said that, I have bought two Roku TV's in the past few years, but one was just for a spare room in my mom's house for simplicity, and one because I had a particular want for some unusual Roku TV features concerning the remote. And both were on sale for the same price as the non-smart equivalent.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #145
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
In fact, for those very reasons, I would wonder why anyone would pay extra for a smart TV. Get the best display you can, and plug in the little doohickey that best meets your streaming needs. Descrete components optimally chosen, and for about the same price.

Having said that, I have bought two Roku TV's in the past few years, but one was just for a spare room in my mom's house for simplicity, and one because I had a particular want for some unusual Roku TV features concerning the remote. And both were on sale for the same price as the non-smart equivalent.
My smart TV was actually cheaper than the dumb equivalent, because of a sale when I bought it. It's the TV that's hooked up to cable, and other than occasional Amazon video, I don't use the smart options.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #146
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The apps I use most are Netflix, Amazon, & YouTube. I've seen them on a Fire TV stick and they aren't any better.

It's actually rather difficult to get a good TV that's not smart. When I got our 55" 4k TV, I didn't have a choice of dumb or smart.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #147
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
I am the weird one in this group. I do not have a television.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #148
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I also have the 5th gen 7-inch. It looks like going to the 8-inch would be a worthwhile upgrade--better screen resolution and more storage space in addition to the larger screen. I don't know if I can pass it up for $55, especially since I've had intermittent problems with my current tablet already.

I also have the 2015 5th gen 7. I got a 2017 8 inch on Prime day and it *is* a noticeable upgrade. The stereo speakers help sound quality when watching video and the screen is much better.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #149
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
I also have the 2015 5th gen 7. I got a 2017 8 inch on Prime day and it *is* a noticeable upgrade. The stereo speakers help sound quality when watching video and the screen is much better.
Thanks. I will probably end up getting it. I just need to overcome my sales resistance--I am most definitely not much of an impulse buyer!
Old 09-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #150
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
My QVC Echo deal arrived. At this time, I cannot access the website I have to go to to redeem my offers. I'll try again tomorrow.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote