Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #136
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrzej View Post
Is the next generation of firmware going to address above issues? I know they want to add zoom, but does it mean changing font is going to ruin layout everytime and nobody sees a problem in it ?
The issue with changing the font size effecting layout is that it causes the PDF to reflow. Reflowing doesn't work well with tables/etc. If you change the font size with zoom (once it is available in new firmware), then the reflow/layout problem shouldn't be an issue.

Horizontal layout (landscape) and margins are the same thing. You can get rid of the margins today using reflow, but that has the same trouble with special layouts. Using zoom for that as well will solve the landscape margin problem.

As far as the dictionary, Matthijs isn't saying that it can't be done, he's just saying that the way they had planned on doing it didn't work out for various reasons, and that they would need to re-design/develop it before it can be added. It just won't be available on the next firmware (which already has a lot of things in it).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #137
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
It's official:

http://www.irextechnologies.com/abou...ftware_upgrade

Quote:
March 02, 2010

IREX plans to release a new version of the system software to add features & improvements to the IREX DR800 series (formal release expected in April).

The new software version v2.0 will have many new features including:
  • Note taking application(1)
  • PDF document zoom and scribble functions(1)
  • "Go to page" menu function
  • Faster 3G connection setup time(2)
  • Barnes & Noble EPUB file support
  • Automatic indexing of title, author and thumbnail when a file is added to the device
  • Ability to import Settings and Accounts information (MYIREX, Adobe) from MYIREX sign-up webpage on PC
  • “View Book Information” menu function that shows file details for PDF and EPUB
The software will be available for all IREX DR800 owners free of charge and can be downloaded when available from our support website. http://irexreader.com/support

(1) Notes can be viewed on the DR800 Digital Reader, but are not exportable to a PC.
(2) Applicable to IREX DR800SG, not applicable to IREX DR800S
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #138
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
Clarification: I'm not saying we won't do dictionaries, I'm just saying it is not on the roadmap for the upcoming release.
I don't plan on buying a new ebook reader anytime soon, so if they get a dictionary out before or around the time the Notion Ink Adam is released I'll have to think long and hard about which device to get.

For me a Wikipedia based dictionary would have not met my needs as it is more of an encyclopedia. I rather like how the Sony and Kindle give a brief definition at the bottom of the screen while keeping the page in place and then allowing you to see the definition in the dictionary if you want more details.

I wouldn't have minded Wikipedia being an additional feature, but it could never be a main dictionary in my opinion.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #139
AlpGlide
Connoisseur
AlpGlide began at the beginning.

Device: dr900
I do not waiting for dictionaries :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
Clarification: I'm not saying we won't do dictionaries, I'm just saying it is not on the roadmap for the upcoming release.
I borrowed my dr800sg to my friend. He said he would return it to me when new firmware do pdf zoom / width fitting landscape.
I hope those two functions coming soon
AlpGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #140
jackotman
jackotman began at the beginning.

Device: Dr800sg
hi all, I am a newbie in this Forums.
my question is:
is it possible that IREX will add muti-language support for Dr800sg in the future?

if IREX allows end user install their own fonts, this issue can be fixed easily.
jackotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #141
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrzej View Post
So how come sony has dictionary?
Sony is a big company with a lot of resources. They have the man-power and capital to throw into pulling off a lot of features very quickly. Because they have so many other money-making products, it's okay even to take a loss on R&D costs for a while since they have lots of other products to couch the product if they end up not releasing a successful product.

iRex is much smaller, and can't take as many risks. A big release with a lot of features and a lot of development time is a big risk.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #142
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
Is dictionary feature something that we can be implement via the SDK?
Sort-of... there is probably two halves to it.

There is the half that says: "I'm a dictionary" to UDS (the doc viewer app on the iRex).
UDS still needs to have the dictionary bits turned on to use that dictionary. It's not entirely clear exactly how much can be lit up by a random dev alone. I'm not betting on much, since there is bound to be code in the UDS (which we can't really edit) that needs to be enabled and recompiled.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #143
Bic
Connoisseur
Bic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it is

Device: Kindle or Sony
I was really excited about the DR800SG until I read the reviews and forum. I really want an 8" screen that sounds as good as this one, but I don't want to pay $400 for one when I have to deal with a stylus (esp. one without a slot on the machine), a reader without a dictionary, a reader without WiFi. Not too much to ask at this price.
Bic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #144
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
I guess we just have to hold our breaths until Irex release it in later update which I bet going to be awhile from now.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #145
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
Is dictionary feature something that we can be implement via the SDK?
No, that would not be possible since the sources for UDS are the only ones that are not open.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:31 AM   #146
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I appreciate Irex's participation and the fact that they are actually listen to their customers. Ordered mine and it is one the way! Once we installed the mentioned firmware upgrade on the device it definitely is a good deal at $399.-. Perfect screen size to device size ratio, fast operation, excellent built quality, wacom touch screen, PDF zoom, and note taking. And additional functions provided by other users. The only thing I would have wanted additionally is WiFi, but since I have a computer running all day anyway, this is a minor inconvenience.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #147
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The only thing I would have wanted additionally is WiFi, but since I have a computer running all day anyway, this is a minor inconvenience.
Speaking of which, is it possible to connect a USB device or is it the same issue with the DR1000 that the USB port only runs in device mode, not host mode?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #148
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Thanks Kolenka and Matthijs for the respond.

I think that the DR800 does have a lot of potential. I have to say that I am impress with Irex developer's level of engagement within the forum. Hopefully,the DR800's full potential can be unleashed by user hack and Irex's development.

My reader is on its way. I am looking forward to experience it first hand.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #149
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Speaking of which, is it possible to connect a USB device or is it the same issue with the DR1000 that the USB port only runs in device mode, not host mode?
very important question..
let's hope they answer..
another question would be if dr800s has a tcp ip stack..
that is some network interface..
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #150
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by repods View Post
very important question..
let's hope they answer..
another question would be if dr800s has a tcp ip stack..
that is some network interface..
Software issues can probably be overcome. The main problem with doing this on the DR1000 is that the USB port is physically prevented from acting in host mode. I'm hoping the same is not true of the DR800.