I really don’t like the new update. The Home Screen looks busy and cluttered. 😕

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heatherkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 01:48 AM   #137
Freedomland
Enthusiast
Freedomland began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen 2021
For me the new interface stinks. I use Collections and have 269. No List View!!! It's really bad that you can't change it back. The one thing I do like is the new vertical scroll. But that's it
Anyway to uninstall the update?? I use Amazon Cloud Collections...besides finding an enumeration bug in the new PW 11th Gen. I reported last Nov 2021. It's still there. Then Amazon foists this new interface that really screws up Collections. TURN IT OFF or Give Us the ability to. And don't make us wait 5 months!!!
Freedomland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2022, 07:37 AM   #138
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomland View Post
For me the new interface stinks. I use Collections and have 269. No List View!!! It's really bad that you can't change it back. The one thing I do like is the new vertical scroll. But that's it
Anyway to uninstall the update?? I use Amazon Cloud Collections...besides finding an enumeration bug in the new PW 11th Gen. I reported last Nov 2021. It's still there. Then Amazon foists this new interface that really screws up Collections. TURN IT OFF or Give Us the ability to. And don't make us wait 5 months!!!
Set your library view to List first. Then on the upper left corner, the three vertical lines, you can select Collections filter there so your library will be in list view but only displays collections.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:14 AM   #139
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I'm not a fan of the new interface, but I'm not in the interface as much as apparently everyone else is. It sounds like everyone spends the majority of their time browsing their books? 99% of the time I'm reading on my kindle. Most of the time, if I want to find a book, I use the search and type the first words of the title or the author, as I don't want to scroll through a bunch of pages.

Last edited by kyrilson; 03-22-2022 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Missed a word
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:56 AM   #140
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Anyway to uninstall the update??
Nope. But you can with a Kobo.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #141
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

That said, drag is very slow on my PW4, and I would think on anything that is not Oasis or PW5.
Actually it is not necessary to drag: just tap the position in the scroll bar you want to navigate to. I have 3000+ items in my Library and it takes a second or two to refresh on PW4, which is adequate; it only takes a fraction of second on PW5.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 02:02 PM   #142
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Set your library view to List first. Then on the upper left corner, the three vertical lines, you can select Collections filter there so your library will be in list view but only displays collections.
Nice. Of course this does not include ‘Uncollected’, and you need to choose ‘show all’ in for the Collections setting.

It would be interesting if filters could be applied in a negative way, as in ‘NOT downloaded’ or ‘NOT in collection’, perhaps by press and hold to toggle the state.
Old 03-22-2022, 02:03 PM   #143
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What is this ‘enumeration bug’?
Old 03-22-2022, 02:24 PM   #144
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Nice. Of course this does not include ‘Uncollected’, and you need to choose ‘show all’ in for the Collections setting.

It would be interesting if filters could be applied in a negative way, as in ‘NOT downloaded’ or ‘NOT in collection’, perhaps by press and hold to toggle the state.
This is actually my problem too. I need the Uncollected to show up in List view too.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 03:00 PM   #145
Gripweed
Enthusiast
Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: PW5-v11
Quote:
I tried a dozen times, there are no three vertical lines in the upper left corner that I can see. Does anyone else see them? Has anyone else gotten their collections to appear in List view?

I've had it with these tiny cover photos. I'm 66 yrs. old and my optometrist says it's just a matter of time before my cataracts ripen and he can rip them out and put artificial lens in. In the meantime about half the book covers look like a spectrum of shades of grey from white to black. The only way I can pick a book is to click on the unknown cover so that the name of the book appears. Having to do this for the 500+ books waiting to be read is very time consuming. Surprisingly I haven't entirely lost the ability to read text yet and so my reading can go on even though it is a bit fuzzy.
It's obvious that the people at Amazon who are making the Kindle UI decisions are twenty year olds with perfect 20/20 vision.
Gripweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 03:55 PM   #146
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripweed View Post
I tried a dozen times, there are no three vertical lines in the upper left corner that I can see. Does anyone else see them? Has anyone else gotten their collections to appear in List view?

I've had it with these tiny cover photos. I'm 66 yrs. old and my optometrist says it's just a matter of time before my cataracts ripen and he can rip them out and put artificial lens in. In the meantime about half the book covers look like a spectrum of shades of grey from white to black. The only way I can pick a book is to click on the unknown cover so that the name of the book appears. Having to do this for the 500+ books waiting to be read is very time consuming. Surprisingly I haven't entirely lost the ability to read text yet and so my reading can go on even though it is a bit fuzzy.
It's obvious that the people at Amazon who are making the Kindle UI decisions are twenty year olds with perfect 20/20 vision.
It sounds like you are in Grid view, in List view the titles show (albeit in tiny text).

- you would need 5.14.2, and it seems it needs to connect to amazon at some point to have the new UI turned on (for me it happened right away, others had to wait some weeks)
- at top is Search bar, next row down has a Filter icon on left side and Sort/View icon at right side. Both have 3 horizontal line icons, the filter icon has circles as if they were slider controls.
- for Collections to show as a Filters option, you need to go to Settings, Device Options, Advanced Options, Home & Library, Collections and choose Show favorites (if you have any and only want to see those) or Show all option.

New lenses are definitely something to look forward to, have a friend who got surgery and could read without glasses after that.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:12 PM   #147
Freedomland
Enthusiast

Quote:
What is this ‘enumeration bug’?
I use collections as I've said. I also use Calibre and amazon Cloud collections. case in point. Dune by Frank Herbert. He wrote the first 6 books. so in Calibre, I renamed them:
01-Dune
02-Dune Messiah
03-Children of Dune et all

then his son wrote a few books.. a prelude, Paul of Dune and a few others that go in-between these
00-Prelude
01.5- Paul of Dune
02.5-(some other title) etc

on the app and on the old PW it went correctly
00-
01-
01.5-
02-
02.5-
etc.

on the New PW.. it does it this way:
00-
01.5-
01-
02.5-
02-

That's the bug.

btw the 5.14.2 didn't fix it..and I reported it back in November.

Last edited by Freedomland; 03-22-2022 at 04:25 PM. Reason: forgot a comment
Old 03-22-2022, 04:20 PM   #148
Freedomland
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripweed View Post

it doesn't work~! I'm 67 and I love SF a book cover with the title in dark red on a slightly maroon background means you can see it on a Fire..but it's worthless on an E-Ink screen, I have ALWAYS used List view and I prefer it. We need all those who have issues with this new garbage interface to demand a fix by Amazon..and not one we have to wait 5 months for. Hell add List View to collections. Not this grid crap. I have 268 collections.. On the old screen, I had 96 pages ( Yeah I carry my library with me)
Old 03-22-2022, 04:23 PM   #149
Freedomland
Enthusiast

Quote:
That's on the old interface. The new interface doesn't show up when you install the update. It suddenly appears afterwards..and it's VERY different!! NONE of your suggestions are possible in the new interface.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:30 PM   #150
Freedomland
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammerhant View Post
Ah well, question answered

It was just a minor quibble, since the majority of my docs have no covers...
I have a lot of my docs that way too. and in Collections, that means you have no clue what the book is.. until you open it!