Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 01:18 AM   #136
septentrion
Addict
septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2014, Kindle Voyage and Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Well, the page at the link shows the audio download price as free, but when I put it in my cart, the price is $16.99.
It showed free when I changed my adress to a US one. With my French adress, it showed at 16.99 $.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:20 AM   #137
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon Local has another Audible membership offer:

Three Months of Audiobooks for $1.95 a Month
  • Claim coupon by 31 Oct
  • Redeem coupon by 01 Nov

What You Need to Know:
  • Issued by Audible.com
  • Valid for new Audible.com customers only
  • Coupon will expire if not redeemed on Audible.com by 11:59 P.M. EST on November 1, 2014
  • Coupon valid for first 3 months of Audible.com membership and 1 audiobook a month for first 3 months for $1.95 per month
  • At the end of the 3-month promotional period, your Audible.com subscription will be renewed at the then current full price (currently $14.95 per month) with your designated credit card or another credit card on file. You can cancel your membership at any time at Audible.com
  • Limit 1 coupon per customer
  • Available only to U.S. customers
  • The promotion is valid for a limited time only and while promotional items last
  • Coupon is not redeemable for any other types of merchandise sold at Amazon.com
  • Offer is not transferable, not exchangeable and has no cash value
  • You must have an Amazon.com account and accept the Audible.com Service Terms of Use to redeem the code
  • Coupon is available for use immediately after claiming coupon and receiving email confirmation from Amazon Local
  • Other conditions apply
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #138
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Well, the page at the link shows the audio download price as free, but when I put it in my cart, the price is $16.99.
I've been trying at intervals to get this since last night, with the same result. And I noticed that my state had been unaccountably changed when they tried to charge me sales tax as well.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #139
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
I had the same problem last night (on my computers at home and at work) and again this morning; the $0.00-priced item appears at full price + tax in the cart, and the site keeps changing my billing address state from NY to CT. I contacted Tantor last night to explain the issue and am awaiting their reply.

UPDATE:
I don't see a reply from Tantor Media (yet), but I did have success "buying" the free audiobook just now!

Last edited by Froide; 10-22-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #140
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
I had the same problem last night (on my computers at home and at work) and again this morning; the $0.00-priced item appears at full price + tax in the cart, and the site keeps changing my billing address state from NY to CT. I contacted Tantor last night to explain the issue and am awaiting their reply.

UPDATE:
I don't see a reply from Tantor Media (yet), but I did have success "buying" the free audiobook just now!
Thanks! I tried again and succeeded.

The Nutmeg State had a surge in population, it seems.
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #141
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I was able to get it today as well, and I have also unaccountably been moved to Connecticut.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #142
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post

UPDATE:
Glad to see other fellow Mobilereaders are having success, too.

FYI, Tantor Media emailed me a reply about the same time I'd begun reading Mobileread this morning and shortly before I'd submitted the post above. Here's what they wrote:

Quote:
RE: Contact Form

customerservice
Today at 9:35 AM

Hello ____,

Thank you for your interest in Tantor Media.
We are aware this download is currently showing up at full price. Our support team is currently working on resolving this issue.
I will contact you when this download issue if fixed.

Thank you,

Sarah Barning
Customer Service Representative
customerservice@tantor.com
T 877-782-6867
F 888-782-7821

Tantor Media
6 Business Park Road
Old Saybrook, CT 06475

tantor.com
Minutes after successfully purchasing The Invisible Man for $0.00, I received an email confirming my purchase (which reflects my correct address) and a second email, from Customer Service, which I've pasted below:

Quote:
RE: Contact Form

customerservice
Today at 12:01 PM

Hello ____,

This issue has now been resolved.
You will now be able to download "The Invisible Man" at no cost.
If you have further questions, please contact me.

Thank you,

Sarah Barning
Customer Service Representative
customerservice@tantor.com
T 877-782-6867
F 888-782-7821

Tantor Media
6 Business Park Road
Old Saybrook, CT 06475

tantor.com

Last edited by Froide; 10-22-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #143
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Okay, here's a first for me. It's free, it's considered by some to be a classic work of literature, and the voice is great: Richard E. Grant (from "Downton Abbey," among other things). The catch: you'll need an iThing, with iOS 6.0 or later. The book? "Noli Me Tangere" by Jose Rizal. If you're interested in Philippine history, this title is a must (or so I'm told). You can get the book here. If you'd like to learn a little more about the whats and whys, check this out. I don't have an appropriate device, but I found an interview about the title and I think it would be a great listen.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
Old 10-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #144
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
They had problems and corrected it earlier today. The CT issue seems to be hitting everyone, though - I just had to move from there myself.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #145
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
You can get a free audiobook on SEO entitled SEO Expert Strategies. It's by Sam Adodra.

You can get the free audiobook at samadodra(dot)com/audio-book (that's the way that Mr. Adodra gave this email address; replace the "(dot)" with a "." (without the quotation marks)).
not an email address, it is a web address: http://samadodra.com/audio-book

You have to give a name and email address; they promise no spam (but, they will, no doubt, send at least some email to the address you give). Use a burner address, of course (or go direct to http://www.samadodra.com/download-guides/)

Last edited by koland; 10-22-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:28 PM   #146
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
Okay, here's a first for me. It's free, it's considered by some to be a classic work of literature, and the voice is great: Richard E. Grant (from "Downton Abbey," among other things). The catch: you'll need an iThing, with iOS 6.0 or later. The book? "Noli Me Tangere" by Jose Rizal. If you're interested in Philippine history, this title is a must (or so I'm told). You can get the book here. If you'd like to learn a little more about the whats and whys, check this out. I don't have an appropriate device, but I found an interview about the title and I think it would be a great listen.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
I'm borderline computer-illiterate and don't keep up much with the trends. By "iThing" do you mean an Apple device like the iMac?, iPhone, iPad, iWhatever? I Googled "iThing" and there supposedly is such a thing--but I think that it might be some kind of joke ("the iThing is slated for release in 2025" Yeah.)

Anyway, thanks, Skinmaan, for the great find and post. Unfortunately, I don't have an iThing, regardless of what it is. I regret that I cannot download and listen to the audiobook, I know that I would enjoy it.

I have had several Philippine friends and acquaintances in the past 20 years or so, especially. I've been there twice. But, my Philippine history is lacking. It seems like I remember that maybe back in the 1600's or 1700's or so some European explorer "discovered" the Philippines. Of course, that was their Eurocentric and caucasian way of looking at things (which we in America largely would share)--the Philippines had been discovered eons before that by . . . the Filipinos! But, basically my knowledge of its history begins with the Philippines being a Spanish territory. The Spaniards had stolen it from someone (the Filipinos?). The U.S. had a war with Spain (the "Spanish-American War") and we stole it from the Spaniards. The U.S. finally granted the Philippines independence shortly after World War II. That's it, that's basically all that I know of its history, up to some of the modern day.

Oh yeah, the Philippines was an area that the Japanese occupied for most of the War. There was a lot of fighting that went on there in the early and late parts of the War. A lot of notable and major battles, and other significant events, happened there. Ever heard of the Bataan death march? That was in the Philippines. When American general Douglas MacArthur was forced out of the Philippines early in the War, he vowed to return. He returned during the battle for Leyte (an island/province) (I have been fortunate enough to see the very spot where that happened and the fascinating monument there to that event). Major sea battles occurred right off the Philippine coast against the Japanese Imperial fleet, probably most notably the Battle of the Philippine Sea. That battle resulted in a loss for the Japanese and signaled the end, for all intents and purposes, of Japan as a naval air power for the rest of the War.

The history of the Philippines interestingly is reflected in the language there. No one there, to my knowledge, speaks Spanish as their native tongue, although I suspect that many did when it was controlled by Spain. However, if you go over there you will hear a lot of surnames that are Spanish. Due to the influence of the American occupiers, English is one of two official languages and supposedly "everyone" knows English (although I ran across several people in one poorer province who somehow did not seem to know a word of it!). Oddly, I don't remember hearing any American/English surnames. A Filipino language, Tagalog, is the other official language.

Mobilereaders, if you were to think that I would be trying to pique the interest of you in this audiobook, you would be right. I think that you would like it and find that Philippine history is not a bore at all and the audiobook to be a great listen.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-24-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #147
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I'm borderline computer-illiterate and don't keep up much with the trends. By "iThing" do you mean an Apple device like the iMac?, iPhone, iPad, iWhatever? I Googled "iThing" and there supposedly is such a thing--but I think that it might be some kind of joke ("the iThing is slated for release in 2025" Yeah.)
Sorry for the slang - iThing is the term I (and some others) use for any iPhone/iPad/iPod. Just saves a few keystrokes.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #148
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry for the slang - iThing is the term I (and some others) use for any iPhone/iPad/iPod. Just saves a few keystrokes.
I thought that that was probably what you meant.

Still, some people jokingly are telling on the Web about the Apple iThing as though it is a real device.ha I've got to go back to some of the websites and read more about it, it's bound to be funny.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-23-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #149
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
not an email address, it is a web address: http://samadodra.com/audio-book

You have to give a name and email address; they promise no spam (but, they will, no doubt, send at least some email to the address you give). Use a burner address, of course (or go direct to http://www.samadodra.com/download-guides/)
Thanks for the correction. Sometimes I don't go back and proofread my posts as well as I should.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-22-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #150
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Thank you! Noli Me Tangere has been on my eBook wishlist, but I'll gladly take a free audiobook instead!
Closed Thread

Tags
audible