Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #136
beowulf573
Addict
beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
0.3.9 Test Release

Finally, a new update, if you're brave enough to try it.

I've not had time yet to test under Firefox 2.0 or Linux, but it seems to work with minimal testing under XP and Firefox 3.0. If you want to try it out install manually from here. Once I've had time to test it I'll update the feed.

Included in this:
  • Log menu item to show stdout of last run. Mainly for my use.
  • Fix for integer properties not being saved.
  • Option to launch calibre after adding book to db.
  • Restructured the Windows backend to make updates easier.
beowulf573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #137
beowulf573
Addict
beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Seems to work fine on Firefox 2.0 and Linux, so I've updated the feed to automatically update.
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 02:53 AM   #138
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
improvements, improvements!

your plugin is absolutely wonderful, and I used it very often.
So - if time allows - I'd like to suggest an improvement which would make it really perfect for me:
complex websites are hard to download, and often the formatting is awful - not your fault of course, they're simply not formatted for downloading.
So I often resort to select and save "selection as lrf".
But this way I end up with a lot of very small lrf "books".
Now: could it be possible to write a "append to lrf" ??? This way I could paste all the meaningful info from different parts of the site (or even from different sites...) and at the end I'll have a single lrf book containing whatever I selected.

I hope it's not impossible due to some inner complexity of lrf...

thank you again!

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:01 AM   #139
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
This is probably the only important thing missing in this pluggin. Doesn't seem that easy though. It should unify fonts and sizes to some extent, so all the text was readable and that should (in my ignorant opinion) be really hard to do properly. Still, it would be perfect for some webs where adding links adds all the garbage in them.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #140
jotheman
Sleeper.
jotheman began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2, Kinde Voyage, reMarkable, Dasung Paperlike Pro
Append to lrf is a good suggestion.

But what I wanted to say: since the last update, BookIt won't use the title of the current website as document title anymore! Should be easy to fix, since it worked perfectly before.

Cheers,

jo.
jotheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #141
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
Doesn't seem that easy though. It should unify fonts and sizes to some extent, so all the text was readable and that should (in my ignorant opinion) be really hard to do properly.
well, I'm completely ignorant on the matter, but it seems to me that normally the lrf files on the Reader do not have a large variety of fonts,
so the plugin could simply decide that the font name and size of the first text snippet saved are the default choice for all the following snippets.

Just imagine what a wonderful help this tool would be, for power-browsing the net on a topic, and creating your book on the fly!

come on, come on, try to do it!!!

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #142
beowulf573
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotheman View Post

But what I wanted to say: since the last update, BookIt won't use the title of the current website as document title anymore! Should be easy to fix, since it worked perfectly before.
Can you point me to a site that doesn't work? I've been unable to reproduce it. Are you sure you don't have a title set in your preferences?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #143
beowulf573
Addict

Unfortunately, there's no way that I know of to append to an existing lrf file. You'd have to append the fragments to the source html file and then generate the lrf.

This ties into what I've been thinking about how to address the adblock/firewall issues. What I'd like to do is have the plugin spider the website to a temp directory and then bring up a browser window pointing to it so that you can delete elements you don't want. If I can find the time to get this model working you could just append selections to this document and then create the lrf from it.

But it's gonna be a bit before I can spend a good amount of time on it, work is demanding right now and I have other personal things taking up my time. But I am letting it role around in my head and trying out ideas as time permits.

The font issue is also a sticky one but could be addressed if I could get a local copy of the document to edit.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:09 AM   #144
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Hi, Kovid pointed me this way for converting a web page html to lrf. Unfortunately, my problem of having extremely long page turns with this one html file (converted to lrf using bookit) has not been fixed. Does anybody have any idea why I'm seeing page turn times like 3-4 times longer than normal with this lrf file?

This is the webpage:
http://trickster.org/res/transfig.html

Or is this normal for webpage conversions?
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #145
beowulf573
Addict

I didn't see a huge difference between doing via my plugin and directly with web2lrf, but I'll try to do some profiling this evening. I don't think my boss would appreciate me accessing that site during my lunch hour. :-)

If you want to try the command line version and see if the timing is about the same, run this from a command prompt:

Code:
web2lrf --link-levels=0 --max-recursions=0 -u http://trickster.org/res/transfig.html default
Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #146
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
hi, thanks for the reply! i'm also at work and can't play around with it right now, but the page turns were an issue when i just "save as link" and saved the html directly and used calibre to convert. Somehow, the file overrode my default margins and cause long page turns (without having embedded fonts (my default font is specially chosen) or a big file size (only 0.7mb)) so I feel like there must be something in the html encoding or whatever it is that is somehow slowing the Reader down.. and that it was ported right onto the .lrf format. ..??!
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:07 PM   #147
beowulf573
Addict

FYI, I found a bug involving an equals sign in a url, title or other parameter and Windows. It doesn't work. I'm trying to find a fix but it may take a bit.

So if you see any failures to create a book, check the url for a '=', which is fairly common I'm afraid.

!#$@&@$%@ batch file parameters...frack!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #148
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf573 View Post
Unfortunately, there's no way that I know of to append to an existing lrf file. You'd have to append the fragments to the source html file and then generate the lrf.

This ties into what I've been thinking about how to address the adblock/firewall issues. What I'd like to do is have the plugin spider the website to a temp directory and then bring up a browser window pointing to it so that you can delete elements you don't want. If I can find the time to get this model working you could just append selections to this document and then create the lrf from it.

But it's gonna be a bit before I can spend a good amount of time on it, work is demanding right now and I have other personal things taking up my time. But I am letting it role around in my head and trying out ideas as time permits.

The font issue is also a sticky one but could be addressed if I could get a local copy of the document to edit.
No hurry
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #149
banjopicker
banjopicker began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf573 View Post
FYI, I found a bug involving an equals sign in a url, title or other parameter and Windows. It doesn't work. I'm trying to find a fix but it may take a bit.

So if you see any failures to create a book, check the url for a '=', which is fairly common I'm afraid.

!#$@&@$%@ batch file parameters...frack!
Thanks for posting that this is a known bug. Didn't know what was happening and it was driving me nuts.
banjopicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #150
beowulf573
Addict

I apologize for the long time in fixing this, my wife has been ill recently and I've not had any spare time to work on side projects. Luckily she's on the mend, I hope to get some time tonight and this week to get a fix in.

I've been following Kovid's work, once he gets html2epub working I'll add support for it in the plugin. How fast depends upon how similar the command line parameters are. :-)