Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #136
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Why use loaded terms like punishment. Why not saying that you try to steer peoples behavior instead which is the intention?
I'm not sure I understand your post here. I don't know if you misunderstood me, or if I'm misunderstanding you.

I was responding to HarryT's post below about punishing smokers, who was responding to pilotbob's post about tripling the cost of cigarettes to discourage their use.

I too, think "punishment" is a loaded term for doing something that is legal. My disagreement with that term is what my post was trying to convey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
[snipped] . . . A higher tax on incandescent lights that makes the price at the register closer to, or more than the "green" lights, a progressive tax on gasoline so the more you buy the higher the tax rate gets, triple the price of cigarettes to discourage their use. [snipped]

BOb
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But, nonetheless, it's one which many countries have adopted, with considerable success. It both gives people an incentive to give up smoking and simultaneously punishes those who choose to continue, despite knowing the issues involved in doing so.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:05 AM   #137
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
I'm not sure I understand your post here. I don't know if you misunderstood me, or if I'm misunderstanding you.

I was responding to HarryT's post below about punishing smokers, who was responding to pilotbob's post about tripling the cost of cigarettes to discourage their use.

I too, think "punishment" is a loaded term for doing something that is legal. My disagreement with that term is what my post was trying to convey.
If it is in fact punishment, or encouragement to modify a destructive behavior, but it's obviously neither of those; its pure and simple greed.

It is a well known fact that an addict will pay whatever price is necessary to obtain his/her drug of choice. And if the drug of choice happens to be legal, like tobacco or alcohol; Why what a cash cow that turns out to be! Also quite convenient to lie about!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
americans, future, onuissance, responsibility, sacrifice