Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #136
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
How about a round of donuts instead?

Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #137
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
MMM, doughnuts, bring in the doggie!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #138
GraNNy
GraNNy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But try finding a good one. That's the problem. They either don't appeal to a wide range of people or they are just really poorly written or both.
After Google searching around, it seems that Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase is the perfect regency romance book. I've never read it, but a lot of people seem to like it, so I'll nominate it.

Quote:
Tough minded Jessica Trent's sole intention is to free her nitwit brother from the destructive influence of Sebastian ballister, the notorious Marquess of Diain. She never expects to desire the arrogant, amoral cad. And When Daines reciprical passion places them in a scandously compromising, and public, position, Jessica is left with no choice but to seek satisfaction...

Damn the minx for tempting him, kissing him...and then for forcing him to salvage reputation! Lord Dain can't wait to put the infuriating bluestocking in her place -- and in some amorous position. And if this means marriage, so be it -- though sebastian is less than certain he can continue to remian aloof...and stell his heart to the sensuous, head strong lady's considerable charms.
Review by Mrs. Giggles
http://www.mrsgiggles.com/books/chase_scoundrels.html

Reviews on Amazon - 4.5 stars, 149 reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Scoundrel.../dp/0380776162
GraNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #139
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Granny, I'll second lord of scoundrels. I have heard the same and recently bought it, but haven't read it yet.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #140
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK View Post
Could someone pass the popcorn, this is extremely entertaining
Here you go, have a drink too.

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #141
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
FOLKS

SLOW DOWN!!!

I see there is a lot of "passion" for this topic...

Remember THREE (3) NOMS EACH !!!!

This includes Introductions (first nom) and second and third nom.

I recommend you give a first to 1 book and save you other two for others.

ALSO.. PLEASE make it official. I see a lot of "I recommend" and "This is a good book"... If you are nominating a book... please say:

"I Nominate and then the book name"

put it in bold if you please so it will be easier for me to find it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #142
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok... here are the books that have 3 noms (or more)....

(3) Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

(3) The Accidental Tourist Anne Tyler

(3) Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

(3) Shadow Game by Christine Feehan

(3) It Happened In Egypt by Charles Norris Williamson (1859-1920) and Alice Muriel Williamson (1869-1933)

(3) His Robot Girlfriend by Wesley Allison (HistoryWes)

(3) The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne

That's 7... remember we stop at 10 or on the 25th whichever comes first.

See next message for partials and other confusion!!!

BOb
Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #143
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Ok,

The following books have 2 noms each:

(2) The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni
(2) Romancing Mr. Bridgerton by Julia Quinn

The following books have 1 nom each:

(1) Northern Lights by Nora Roberts

(1) All Night Long by Jayne Ann Krentz

(1) Ravished by Amanda Quick

(1) A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
[need abstract]

(1) Eleanor of Aquitane: A Biography

(1) Le Morte d'Arthur by Thomas Malory

The following books I can't find ebooks... so unless you can point me to ebooks please don't add noms for them or consider the noms withdrawn:

(1) A Crack in Forever by Jeannie Brewer [Out of Print no eBook that i could find]
(1) Delta of Venus by Anaïs Nin [no ebook I could find]

GraNNy... not to single you out... but listed 4 books in one message. I wasn't sure if you were nominating them. Then you did "nominate" one in a later message.

Are these nominations? You only get three! (I also have the count and who also nominated these. So, can you choose 3 for me.

(1, ficbot) Naked In Death by J.D. Robb.

(2, Jon, Tattncat) Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

(1, Tattncat) Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

(1 lilac_jive) Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase

Phew......

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 01-21-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #144
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights keep popping up, so I'd like to nominate those. I can't find Bob's post with the books that already have three nominations, so I apologize if any of these already have 3 nominations.
Of these three only 1 had been nominated prior to this message.. "Wuthering Heights" I added your nomination to it's count.

Would you like to make a first nom for the other two? If so, please give me Title / Author and a brief abstrat with the "I nominate..." line...

Thanks,
BOb
Old 01-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #145
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
(1) Delta of Venus by Anaïs Nin [no ebook I could find]
Epub available from Penguiun UK/Waterstones/WH Smith.
http://www.penguin.co.uk/nf/Book/Boo...us_Ana%EFs_Nin
Apparently I've found a shining example of an ebook which is regionally-restricted to OUTSIDE the U.S.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #146
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
I'll second

Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:13 AM   #147
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Edgar Rice Burroughs - A Princess of Mars:

A Princess of Mars is an Edgar Rice Burroughs science fiction novel, the first of his famous Barsoom series. It is also Burroughs' first novel, predating his Tarzan stories. Full of swordplay and daring feats, the story is considered a classic example of 20th century pulp fiction.

It is a seminal example of the planetary romance genre, which became highly popular in the decades to follow, and also has some elements of Westerns. It is set on a dying Mars, informed by ideas popularized by astronomer Percival Lowell in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:15 AM   #148
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I nominate:
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Summary from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Jane Eyre is a first-person narrative of the title character. The novel goes through five distinct stages: Jane's childhood at Gateshead, where she is emotionally abused by her aunt and cousins; her education at Lowood School, where she acquires friends and role models but also suffers privations; her time as the governess of Thornfield Manor, where she falls in love with her Byronic employer, Edward Rochester; her time with the Rivers family at Marsh's End (or Moor House) and Morton, where her cold clergyman-cousin St John Rivers proposes to her; and her reunion with and marriage to her beloved Rochester. Partly autobiographical, the novel abounds with social criticism. It is a novel considered ahead of its time. In spite of the dark, brooding elements, it has a strong sense of right and wrong, of morality at its core. There are several Christian aspects underlying the plot that mold its character and essence.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #149
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Someone else nominated Naked in Death and I was seconding it.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #150
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
I would like to second(?) Dead Until Dark. I think that it is a good contemporary romance with less heaving bosoms
Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote