Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2023, 11:02 PM   #136
windirt
windirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra2
Libra 2 freezes 4 or more times per day since updated to 4.37.

revert to 4.35 and no freezes any more.
windirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 02:57 AM   #137
remkolodder
remkolodder began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by remkolodder View Post
Hello,

First time user here, I am remko, hi!

I just updated to the named firmware friday and needed to charge it yesterday already as it was empty. Currently from this morning until now i lost in ~10hours 38% charge. This did not happen on the previous firmware.

Does others notice this as well? Any tips that i can use to get it back? (I will try to make a backup of the onboard SD card and factory reset it?)

Thanks!
Remko
After resetting to factory defaults (on the same firmware it seems), it works again. Sadly that means loosing progress info in the books i was reading, but the most important part is resolved.

Note that I only once had an issue before and that normally the updates just go through without hassle (as others mention on the thread). Not sure what was different this time, but does not give a good feeling that it might be a russian roulette, for most it works, for some it comes out bricked without apparent reason.

thanks all,
Remko
remkolodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2023, 07:14 AM   #138
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocketbook, kobo aura h2o, kobo forma, kobo libra color
Quote:
Originally Posted by remkolodder View Post
After resetting to factory defaults (on the same firmware it seems), it works again.
Unless you had database corruption too, I doubt the factory reset is what helped. Usually just rebooting is enough to fix this.

As to losing reading positions, I back mine up with calibre, easy enough to restore them.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:50 AM   #139
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by windirt View Post
Libra 2 freezes 4 or more times per day since updated to 4.37.

revert to 4.35 and no freezes any more.
This is why I usually wait for at least a month before updating a Kobo.

I did want to sync today, though, but the first thing sync does is try to download the update. (I didn't let it.) I can't remember. If I let it download the update do I still get a choice NOT to update (and delete the download)?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 09:44 AM   #140
JFeole
Connoisseur
JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo_Aura_H2O, Kobo_Aura_One, Kobo Sage
Hmm..Yesterday, I updated my wifes Kobo H2O and my Sage to this new firmware with no issues. Then lastly, I updated my backup Kobo Aura One and it sat after rebooting with marching 3 dots and never came back. I then restarted it, and it appeared to have reset to defaults. SO, I then attempted to setup, conect to my home wifi which it had worked perfectly on for years, and it kept identifying it as a hotspot, and wouldnt accept wifi password.. I then chose update via web, and it directed to use kobo desktop, which i then did, and it appeared to have wiped it, and then updated it to the current firmware properly.

The only other variable is that i had modded it to use the Nickel Menu back when I bought the Sage, and it has never really given me any issues..

Anyone else get weird behavior like this with Aura One? Or, is it(Aura One) out of kobo support?
JFeole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2023, 10:50 AM   #141
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've seen a reset to factory a couple of times on firmware update. I can trigger it by damaging the database but there could easily be other factors.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 11:08 AM   #142
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm not freezing with 4.37 on Libra 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 11:12 AM   #143
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, H2OE2, Libra 2
Just had a strange occurrence with the new firmware on my Libra2. Opened the sleep cover and it remained sleeping, closed the cover and before it fully closed I saw it wake. Repeated a number of times and each time I closed the cover it would wake and each time I open the cover and it would sleep.
A long press on the no/off button fixed the issue.
npr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 12:53 PM   #144
infernoxv
plucker of strings
infernoxv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFeole View Post
Hmm..Yesterday, I updated my wifes Kobo H2O and my Sage to this new firmware with no issues. Then lastly, I updated my backup Kobo Aura One and it sat after rebooting with marching 3 dots and never came back. I then restarted it, and it appeared to have reset to defaults. SO, I then attempted to setup, conect to my home wifi which it had worked perfectly on for years, and it kept identifying it as a hotspot, and wouldnt accept wifi password.. I then chose update via web, and it directed to use kobo desktop, which i then did, and it appeared to have wiped it, and then updated it to the current firmware properly.

The only other variable is that i had modded it to use the Nickel Menu back when I bought the Sage, and it has never really given me any issues..

Anyone else get weird behavior like this with Aura One? Or, is it(Aura One) out of kobo support?
i'm on the Aura One. mine freezes and reboots when i try to open any pdf no matter how small...
infernoxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 01:45 PM   #145
beowulf_lives
beowulf_lives has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.beowulf_lives has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.beowulf_lives has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.beowulf_lives has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW1
I upgraded my Kobo Aura One to 4.37.21533 on Saturday and I wish I hadn't. Now when I press to open any PDF the device freezes for about 5 seconds, the blue status light turns on and the device reboots. All PDFs were side loaded and until the upgrade the device had just worked. It was beautiful and reliable.

Deleting the sqlite files under .kobo and rebooting didn't fix the issue. (Just a random guess)
Trying to look for logfiles, and found a ssh enabling program on github (https://github.com/dropmeaword/kobo-aura-remote) but it looks like logs are encrypted?

At this time I wouldn't upgrade. This upgrade has rendered the central use case of an ereader unusable.
beowulf_lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 01:47 PM   #146
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
for those having a problem with 4.37. You can always go backwards to 4.35.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 01:53 PM   #147
beowulf_lives
beowulf_lives has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.beowulf_lives has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.beowulf_lives has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.beowulf_lives has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW1
Edit: I want to say again how annoying this is. Hear my scream Kobo
beowulf_lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 02:47 PM   #148
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf_lives View Post
You can downgrade. A Kobo is not a Kindle, where you're stuck with an update.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 04:15 PM   #149
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf_lives View Post
Here: Instructions for patching firmware 4.35.20400

Just slap 4.35 back on it and problem solved.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 04:17 PM   #150
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I guess the problem is that if you're still buying books directly from Kobo, staying on an old firmware is a pain since trying to sync your new books will prompt you to update again. You're forced to either sideload everything or to use patches to try to block firmware updates (one of which is noted as being dangerous in the patch notes).
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release