Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2015, 05:33 AM   #136
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
That's true. Did I misunderstand the sentence? For me "thousands of others" clearly referred back to "e-reading app", and I still think the sentence invites my reading. This might not have been Kozlowski's intention, though. Since bad English and hyperbole both abound in his writing, it may indeed have been the former, not the latter, in this case.
I completely agree that it's a very poorly-written sentence, but what I think it was meant to say - even if it didn't - is that you can run thousands of different apps on a device like this, which is perfectly true. I still wouldn't touch this deal with the proverbial barge-pole personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:44 AM   #137
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post

Better find that 'someone' and tell them to stop emailing them lol
That's a good one! I had to tell my kid what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Is that the ultimate purchase (at the right price point of course), something that gets the job done? I know myself I only want to buy something that will do what I need it to do. I wouldn't call that settling.
I agree completely! I took another look at the Android readers, and while they are intriguing, do I really need all that? My Kobo gets the job done for me, and does everything I need it to do. For me, it's the perfect e-reader! So I'll save my (theoretical) money for the next Kobo that appeals to me.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #138
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Anne, I've got an Android ereader (energy pro+) and my problem is the same I have at my android phone: I have no reading apps that I like more than my Kobo ereader. I like calibre companion more than Kobo library management, but there's not so difference to ignore not having pages till end of chapter... or not respecting internal css style or being bulkier than my Aura.

Furthermore, I think it's less immediate to manage an android ereader (root, install apps....) than a traditional ereader.

So, in the end, my Energy Pro is getting dust and my Kobo is still in my bag.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #139
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
If the eReader was 8 inch in size, I would have go for this crowd funding.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #140
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
If the eReader was 8 inch in size, I would have go for this crowd funding.
There are 8" devices available if you want one: the Onyx i86, for example.
Advert
Old 10-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #141
Steve H
Connoisseur
Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, Paperwhite, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When GoodEReader does video reviews of Kobo vs. Kindle, they don't bother to show off the Kobo in it's best light. They use very poor settings and in a lot of the time, left justified. They don't do proper comparisons and they spend way too long focusing on things like PDF and all that can/cannot be done. They ignore the feature set, they don't show the lighting properly.

In short, they botch up most of their video reviews. When they review Kobo, they try their best to make the Kobo look bad.
Actually I think they are somewhat partial to Kobo. I think they review their font/layout advantages well. This from someone who likes Kindles.
I think they missed the boat when they reviewed the H2O by not having a real size comparison discussion. That 6.8" screen(even Kobo does not talk it up enough!) really is appealing and unique among the "big 3".

They do seem to spend a lot of time discussing PDF functionality...
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:55 AM   #142
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
The funding trajectory is not looking good currently. At the start of the campaign they needed $3660 per day. The peak rate was $1250 5 days ago, and it declined to zero per day since then. The required rate is now over $4,000 per day.

I wonder if this changes when they release from video of the product.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:17 AM   #143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H View Post
Actually I think they are somewhat partial to Kobo. I think they review their font/layout advantages well. This from someone who likes Kindles.
I think they missed the boat when they reviewed the H2O by not having a real size comparison discussion. That 6.8" screen(even Kobo does not talk it up enough!) really is appealing and unique among the "big 3".

I think they have no idea how to review a Kobo Reader. They have no idea how to show it off. They spend way too much time showing off how it does PDF. They don't spend enough time showing off the features and how good an eBook can look. Instead they take an eBook and set the options so it looks like it could be a Kindle. It's pathetic.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:55 AM   #144
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H View Post

"Actually I think they are somewhat partial to Kobo"

As they say, "With friends like this, who needs enemies?"
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #145
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Since I last checked two (or was it three?) days ago they've sold one more reader. This thing isn't going anywhere, ladies and gentlemen.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #146
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Since I last checked two (or was it three?) days ago they've sold one more reader. This thing isn't going anywhere, ladies and gentlemen.
But, they're not actually selling readers, are they?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #147
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
But, they're not actually selling readers, are they?
Seems like they're collecting money. What they do with it next is up to them.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #148
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

They're 1% of the way to their funding target, which is not great (for them).
Old 10-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #149
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I just saw their PRWeb press release. "Good e-Reader has just formally launched the first ever crowd sourced campaign for an e-reader"? Wasn't Earl a crowdfunding campaign? Also Blitab?

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/10/prweb13041781.htm
EARL was a crowdfunding campaign, but different from Kickstarter or the like in the sense that it was all strictly done in house. This has lead to a three year opera of mismanagement, false starts and direction changes with no accountability.
In saying such, I still have some limited hope for the EARL project, and as an original backer, I'm not trying to get a refund (which is offered) more out of curiosity than anything else. The last update showed some promise with the new alliance with Netronix (July of 2015 http://www.meetearl.com/updates/) but the overall bungling of the project is a tough one to swallow.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #150
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
EARL was a crowdfunding campaign, but different from Kickstarter or the like in the sense that it was all strictly done in house. This has lead to a three year opera of mismanagement, false starts and direction changes with no accountability.
In saying such, I still have some limited hope for the EARL project, and as an original backer, I'm not trying to get a refund (which is offered) more out of curiosity than anything else. The last update showed some promise with the new alliance with Netronix (July of 2015 http://www.meetearl.com/updates/) but the overall bungling of the project is a tough one to swallow.
It's a classic illustration of the difficulty of going from demonstration hardware to commercial production. They certainly weren't the first, and probably won't be the last, to massively underestimate the difficulty of that step.

Tags
goodereader bad