Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-06-2023, 03:03 PM   #136
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Number of "words" is the only absolute measure of size, but only if front and end matter is ignored.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 04:26 PM   #137
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Number of "words" is the only absolute measure of size, but only if front and end matter is ignored.
But how do you decide what to ignore? I know you can have a lot of rubbish with previews of other books.

IMHO, ADE page number works for me to give me a fairly good estimate of how long the eBook is. I've used ADE page numbers ever since Sony added ADE to the PRS-505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2023, 01:21 PM   #138
arpeggioaccele
light mode user
arpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: I use the Calibre ebook-viewer on macos and Apple Books on ios.
Looks interesting, I'll be sure to try the app!
arpeggioaccele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 02:52 AM   #139
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IMHO, that's not useful at all because the size of the eBook file does not give any information on how long it is. The only information that would work is Adobe Digital Editions page numbers. Once you get used to them as an indicator of how long a book is then you know about the length of the book. The screen showing page numbers based on how many screens is useless because the screen is a completely different size to my Kobo Libra 2. Also, I mostly read ePub with RMSDK and because of this, it helps make it a lot easier to sync. Also, thje Count Page plugin for calibre can generate ADE page numbers. So because of this, you get to learn about the length of the book.

I know it's not much asked for. But that's because a lot of people don't know how useful ADE page numbers really are because they read KePub or on a (gasp!) Kindle.

Oh and please do not be like the Marvin author saying he'll get to it and never did.
Re: book size it is useful for some readers especially those with comic books or very large PDFs. They need to see how much and which books are using up space on their device so they determine what to remove from the device and leave on the cloud.

Give me some credit man . We have already implemented a few items you suggested. If after exploring further we do not plan to implement it then I will let you know for sure. Currently it is just an item to explore, we have several other tasks ahead before it gets prioritized. As you have seen we try to implement what is requested mostly first based on feedback.

The job to be done for your request for ADE Page number is that you would like to be able to tell how long a book is to try to estimate the time and effort . This can be achieved in multiple ways including:
  • Estimated Time to Read & Time Remaining ( Using word count)
  • Providing the concept of a physical page number

Estimated Time to Read & Time Remaining derived from number of words

This was already planned and will come before physical page numbering concept:

Concept of a Physical Page

There are different ways to do this and we will likely support the page numbering that is EPUB3 compliant. EPUBs are starting to be created using this type of number.

This would still achieve the same job.

Now the other way would be to support ADE Based Page numbering or simply use ADE Based Page numbering as a fall back approach for when page-list are not present.

This is yet to be decided. But I heard the feedback and will get back once we are closer

Last edited by skillachie; 09-09-2023 at 02:54 AM.
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 02:55 AM   #140
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yup it makes the comparison between different formats and therefore effort required to read more comparable.
Advert
Old 09-09-2023, 02:55 AM   #141
skillachie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeggioaccele View Post
Looks interesting, I'll be sure to try the app!
Let us know if you have any feedback,
Old 09-09-2023, 02:57 AM   #142
skillachie
Addict

BookFusion Android 2.13.6 - Performance & Fixes Focused Release

Performance & Fixes Focused Release

This release which comes in less than 30 days since the last release is focused on bug fixes and performance improvements.
  • Display book titles in two lines
  • DB refactor to improve offline mode performance
  • RTL is broken for Arabic and similar languages
  • Fixed synchronization process that sometimes fails for highlights
  • Fixed not all highlights are synchronized with the server
  • Properly display TOC for some EPUBs
  • Offline mode doesn't work properly
  • Fixed media overlay issue when playing first page
  • Fixed zoom issues for fixed layout books
  • Other fixes and improvements

Please reach out to us and let us know if you are having any issues related to performance or crashes. Latest update can be found at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.reader

We have the following items queued up for Android (in no specific order) to be done over the next few releases this year:

System & custom font support, Paragraph spacing, Save themes, Text to Speech(TTS), Dictionary, Vertical writing support(Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese eBooks ), native CBZ/CBR reader, Hyphenation, Improved text selection and highlighting for PDFs , Obfuscated font support, Image/area highlights in PDFs. and others!

You can let us know which one you are looking forward to the most in the comments below. Thanks again for all the support and please do continue to reach out to us with feedback and suggestions to help us build your ideal reading platform.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:18 AM   #143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillachie View Post
Re: book size it is useful for some readers especially those with comic books or very large PDFs. They need to see how much and which books are using up space on their device so they determine what to remove from the device and leave on the cloud.

Give me some credit man . We have already implemented a few items you suggested. If after exploring further we do not plan to implement it then I will let you know for sure. Currently it is just an item to explore, we have several other tasks ahead before it gets prioritized. As you have seen we try to implement what is requested mostly first based on feedback.

The job to be done for your request for ADE Page number is that you would like to be able to tell how long a book is to try to estimate the time and effort . This can be achieved in multiple ways including:
  • Estimated Time to Read & Time Remaining ( Using word count)
  • Providing the concept of a physical page number

Estimated Time to Read & Time Remaining derived from number of words

This was already planned and will come before physical page numbering concept:

Concept of a Physical Page

There are different ways to do this and we will likely support the page numbering that is EPUB3 compliant. EPUBs are starting to be created using this type of number.

This would still achieve the same job.

Now the other way would be to support ADE Based Page numbering or simply use ADE Based Page numbering as a fall back approach for when page-list are not present.

This is yet to be decided. But I heard the feedback and will get back once we are closer
ePub3 page numbers are mostly useless. They do not work with RMSDK on a Kobo Reader. Most programs that read ePub won't work with them either. ADE/RMSDK is the number 1 program used for reading ePub and ADE page numbers should be implemented first. It's OK to add other page numbers as an option.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:05 PM   #144
aussieg
aussieg began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
With a lot of books uploaded is it possible to have bookshelves that list the series titles in that bookshelf which then allow a particular series to be quickly found and opened/expanded to see those books.
aussieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:22 PM   #145
skillachie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieg View Post
With a lot of books uploaded is it possible to have bookshelves that list the series titles in that bookshelf which then allow a particular series to be quickly found and opened/expanded to see those books.
Did you see the dedicated Series tab on the bookshelves across iOS, Android or Web. Example on Web it is at https://www.bookfusion.com/library/series

This automatically organizes your book into series if the metadata was present or you can place them there manually
Old 09-12-2023, 10:28 PM   #146
aussieg

Yes saw that and using it thank you. What I am referring to is a fairly large library with say 10 series of books in bookshelf UK crime, 5 series in bookhelf USA Crime, 10 series in European crime and so on for other bookshelves.

In each bookshelf I would like the series headings that could be expanded to see the books in that series rather than a long list of all books in that bookshelf even if they are titled in a way that groups series together as it would be quicker to find a book via series in bookshelf.

Of course this is only useful for larger collections and is my particular preference and not important to other user.

Bookfusion itself I am very happy with for calibre intergration, the reading experience and general look and navigation of the app. For me this one addition would make it even better
Old 09-30-2023, 12:06 PM   #147
skillachie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieg View Post
Yes saw that and using it thank you. What I am referring to is a fairly large library with say 10 series of books in bookshelf UK crime, 5 series in bookhelf USA Crime, 10 series in European crime and so on for other bookshelves.

In each bookshelf I would like the series headings that could be expanded to see the books in that series rather than a long list of all books in that bookshelf even if they are titled in a way that groups series together as it would be quicker to find a book via series in bookshelf.

Of course this is only useful for larger collections and is my particular preference and not important to other user.

Bookfusion itself I am very happy with for calibre intergration, the reading experience and general look and navigation of the app. For me this one addition would make it even better
Ok I get this now. Basically you would like to have multiple series being displayed inside a single bookshelf and you use that bookshelf to identify all series that are UK Crime and USA Crime.

We don't currently have that ability in the UI/UX. Perhaps tags is a potentially work around. Let us note this request however and look at the amount of readers that request it.
Old 09-30-2023, 12:08 PM   #148
skillachie
Addict

BookFusion iOS App 1.30.1 – Page Animation, Paragraph Styles & Fixes

As our readers know we provide seamless reading and syncing experience across devices. We discovered an issue with retaining reading position and prioritized a public release sooner than later. However, we were able to add two additional new features.

New
  • Page animation for reflowable epub support added: none, slide & curl (other book formats will come soon) Beta
  • Optionally override publisher styles for paragraph spacing:
    Paragraphs are now not automatically overridden unless specified by the reader.

Improvements & Fixes
  • Fixed reading position bug introduced in previous release
  • Fixed saving and restoring link color with themes
  • Fixed Comic books that sometimes display white pages/spaces
  • Fixed Comic book metadata tags

The latest update can be found in the App Store at https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bookfusion/id1141834096

Thanks again for all the support and please do continue to reach out to us with feedback and suggestions to help us build your ideal reading platform.
Stay tuned for the next few releases that will start to include the features and improvements the community prioritized.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:29 PM   #149
aussieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillachie View Post
Ok I get this now. Basically you would like to have multiple series being displayed inside a single bookshelf and you use that bookshelf to identify all series that are UK Crime and USA Crime.

We don't currently have that ability in the UI/UX. Perhaps tags is a potentially work around. Let us note this request however and look at the amount of readers that request it.
Thanks for the reply
Old 10-03-2023, 06:34 AM   #150
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

@skillachie, please see the following post for a list of things that should be fixed.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=236