Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
kolrone
Enthusiast
kolrone doesn't litterkolrone doesn't litter

Device: jetBook-Lite, eBookwise-1150
New eBookwise 1150 not working

I just got a new eBookwise 1150 in the mail today. I charged it for about 2 hours like it said in the directions and when I pressed the power button, the screen brightly lit up then stayed that way. There was no eBookwise symbol or anything.

I pressed the reset button and the same thing happened. After a few more resets, I finally got a bright screen with the eBookwise symbol. The symbol flashed a few times then it went back to a blank screen.

Has anyone had this problem before? And most importantly, does anyone know what I can do to fix it? Thanks
kolrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
kolrone
Enthusiast

Well, after messing with it for awhile, I finally got it to work for the most part.

I had it plugged in and I was holding the eBookwise on its side. I tapped it against my leg and it turned on. I was able to get to the main menu. The screen eventually went out again and I had to mess with it for about 10 or 15 minutes. It's finally working... for now.

I think there may be some type of loose connection inside the unit itself. At one point the screen was flickering like a strobe light for about 3 to 5 seconds. I'm hoping for the best, but we'll see. I'm sure I can always send it in for repair.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Ouch! That's too bad it had to happen on a new unit. Is it under warranty? Maybe you should you call about the problem? Let us know what happens.

Last edited by dreams; 01-24-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: correct sentence
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
It's not too hard to take an 1150 apart but I'd hold off until you've heard from eBookwise. They tend to replace defective readers without too much hassle.

If you get antsy, look for the fifth screw under the memory card flap before you pry really hard One of the display connectors has probably come part way out and shouldn't be too hard to reseat.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
Definitely get the free replacement. It is under warranty and from my brief experience, eBookwise is really good about taking care of their customers. They will most likely forward your help ticket directly to ETI, who will work with you on getting the free replacement.
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
kolrone
Enthusiast

eBookwise sent me an email this morning stating that they are forwarding my help ticket to ETI. The email did say that I would hear from ETI shortly, but I haven't received anything yet.

At least my 1150 is working for the most part. If it moves around too much, then the screen will lock up though.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
kolrone
Enthusiast

I'm still awaiting a reply from ETI, but my 1150 was able to stay on long enough for me to register it.

I do have a few questions about the unit though.

When the 1150 is plugged in, how much does the tip stick out? My plug doesn't seem to go all the way in and I just wanted to make sure that's normal.

Does anyone else hear a low buzzing sound coming from the 1150 when it is being charged?

And finally, when I run my stylus across the screen it makes a bit of a weird (bubble or static like?) sound. Is this normal?

I just want to make sure if there are any other issues I let ETI know about them.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 AM   #8
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolrone View Post
I'm still awaiting a reply from ETI, but my 1150 was able to stay on long enough for me to register it.

I do have a few questions about the unit though.

When the 1150 is plugged in, how much does the tip stick out? My plug doesn't seem to go all the way in and I just wanted to make sure that's normal.

My plugs have also stuck out a bit, you can clearly see the barrel of the plug. The soldered connection to the main board can be fragile, try to keep it from flexing.

Does anyone else hear a low buzzing sound coming from the 1150 when it is being charged?

Yes, both of mine have buzzed. It's due to a DC t DC converter inside the reader.

And finally, when I run my stylus across the screen it makes a bit of a weird (bubble or static like?) sound. Is this normal?

There is a plastic overlay that may make some noise, I've not noticed it on either of mine but don't see it as a problem unless there is discoloration that indicates it's delaminating.

I just want to make sure if there are any other issues I let ETI know about them.
Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:54 AM   #9
kolrone
Enthusiast

Smile

ETI responded and immediately offered to send me a replacement. I just gave them my information and they said a tracking number will be provided when it ships.

I was very impressed with the customer service