Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #16
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher
Well, one good thing is that if you've seen the Sony ereader then you already have a good idea of the display of the proposed Baen model. That's a good part of only one real manufacturer. After that the only real differences would be what it reads and how hand friendly it is.
Haven't looked at the Sony PRS-500 except at the pictures here on MobileRead and the ones on the Sony site. Haven't even done so with the Bookeen reader or STAReBOOK reader. Kinda frustrating really... However, what I've seen of STAReBOOK's layout and operation here at mobileread looks okay.

It will be nice to get my hands on the Bookeen version. And I've decided I should probably get a STAReBOOK version. Now what I'd really like to know is where can I get one of the latter in Central California - Sacramento area?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #17
micro
Connoisseur
micro doesn't littermicro doesn't littermicro doesn't litter

Device: STAReBOOK STK-101
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96
If, and I say this as a former programmer, the Bookeen device is exactly the same as that of STAReBOOK's at the hardware and OS level - and at this time I believe it is - updating/changing the applications should work the same way. Not having a STAReBOOK to hand, I can't tell you what that entails, although from what I've read on the STAReBOOK site, this should be just a firmware download through either the USB cable or the SD memory card. That's one of the things I want to check out when I get my evaluation unit from Bookeen.

Derek
If if and if always the way.

Well, if you need any help from someone with a STAReBOOK give me a yell.

From playing with firmware on the STAReBOOK you donwload a compresed filesystem image to SD card, reboot the deice and it loads an updater app from the card and bingo, new firmware. I havent actually had this work yet as my unit shipped with the latest firmware so updating doesn't work.

It "may" be possbile to open up the comressed filesystem and have a poke around while its not on the device. At least this would give a clearer idea of whats going on inside from a software perspective.

micro
micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #18
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro
If if and if always the way.

Well, if you need any help from someone with a STAReBOOK give me a yell.

From playing with firmware on the STAReBOOK you donwload a compresed filesystem image to SD card, reboot the deice and it loads an updater app from the card and bingo, new firmware. I havent actually had this work yet as my unit shipped with the latest firmware so updating doesn't work.

It "may" be possbile to open up the comressed filesystem and have a poke around while its not on the device. At least this would give a clearer idea of whats going on inside from a software perspective.

micro
Good to know. And I may well take you up on some of this.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #19
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Just my $.02, I can't wait to see what they come up with the Baen reader! I love the Sony reader, but I think the one that they are developing is going to be something really specail.

I signed up for the pre-order, and am quite excited to see what they come up with.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #20
delphidb96
Wizard

RE: Another one joins the collective!

Hooray!

We are the Borg. You will be assimilated!

Thank you for expressing your interest. We look forward to releasing the NAEB reader and *using* it ourselves!

Derek