Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 11-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
sjaaks V8
Enthusiast
sjaaks V8 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V8
Is my Hanlin V8 dying? Pale screen.

It happened after 3 months of normal use. The letters on the screen fade away. Take a look at the picture.
First I thought it is a battery failure. But that looks normal. The same with a new one. Tried a reset, nothing.
What can I further do? The screen is awful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	~0367+.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	2122  
sjaaks V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
From the image it looks like one font is more affected than the others. Is that the case or is it just the upper portion of the screen that is fading?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
sjaaks V8
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda
From the image it looks like one font is more affected than the others. Is that the case or is it just the upper portion of the screen that is fading?

This is something what I am wondering myself. Did I made 2 different prints of the same page with an other font and than loaded on to the card? It is possible.

The screen from top to bottom is PALE. Every page is pale.

update. The real page is found, picture will follow.

edit. Picture added. This looks much better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	~369+pale.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	2124  

Last edited by sjaaks V8; 11-08-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
This looks dangerous...I hope it's not something that'll start happen to a lot of eink devices...
We have reports of Iliad screen going pale when the temperature goes below 0, but it didn't stay that way and I think the whole screnn was affected.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Aye ... in a sense, the eink technology uses a mechanical means of displaying the onscreen image ... black colored particles swimming around according to the charge below ... so if the medium in each eink pixel sphere is affected by adverse temperature, pressure beyond or close to specs threshold, I believe it could damage the display.

Granted, factors like temperature and pressure affects practically anything physical, and hence also influence the performance of solid state devices like memory and CPUs, but perhaps eink may be slightly more succeptible?
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:41 AM   #6
sjaaks V8
Enthusiast

After the last picture I posted, some time ago, there was a normal reading screen. With a good contrast. Than yesterday suddenly a pale screen again. Is it a flat battery? Have a look at the indicator which is 3/4 full. So I charged the new battery and indeed a much better screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0380+0382.JPG
Views:	669
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	2208  

Last edited by sjaaks V8; 11-17-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #7
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
sjaaks.....it does look like you battery inidcator is misreporting it's level.My V2 did start to fade in contrast once the battery started to run out
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #8
MorganLiu
MorganLiu doesn't litterMorganLiu doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin
Dear sjaaks,
I am morgan, please give me your email address. I will help you solve battery trouble.
We are sorry for this.

please contact Ms. May, her email is: marketing@jinke.com.cn

Best Regards.
MorganLiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:03 AM   #9
sjaaks V8
Enthusiast

Thanks to MorganLiu I had a written contact with ms. May and the engineer from Jinke gave me some software which I had to install on the SD card. Than the card in the reader and reboot for the Hanlin V8. It looks good and time will tell if it stays that way.
Look at the picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	000_0396.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	2238  

Last edited by sjaaks V8; 11-21-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
It's great so see how fast they were able to help.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:04 AM   #11
dustinpeng
dustinpeng began at the beginning.

Really great to know Jinke can support on time
It enhance my faith to buy one.
dustinpeng is offline   Reply With Quote