Old 06-13-2024, 01:53 AM   #556
joshuamotte
joshuamotte began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
The update wipes out /system.
The sleep images were on /system.
So, is there a way to edit the sleep images and leave Noogie without updating so that I am able to keep my changes?
joshuamotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:17 AM   #557
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuamotte View Post
So, is there a way to edit the sleep images and leave Noogie without updating so that I am able to keep my changes?
So you want to do an update, but you don't want it to update?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 03:58 PM   #558
joshuamotte
joshuamotte began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4
Post changing the sleep image in a rooted Nook Glowlight 4

Quote:
So you want to do an update, but you don't want it to update?
This is what I was trying to do:

$adb reboot boot bootloader
$fastboot devices
$fastboot flash boot nnglow21.img
(manual reboot into neo noogie)
$adb devices
$adb push wallpaperNook.png /system/media/SleepImageNook
$adb shell
#mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
#rm -f /system/media/SleepImageNook/2.png
#rm -f /system/media/SleepImageNook/3.png
#rm -f /system/media/SleepImageNook/4.png
#rm -f /system/media/SleepImageNook/5.png
#rm -f /system/media/SleepImageNook/6.png
#cp system/media/SleepImageNook/wallpaperNook.png /system/media/SleepImageNook/1.png
#^D
$adb reboot bootloader
$fastboot devices
$fastboot flash boot boot.img
(manual reboot back into nook)

I guess I forgot to put it back into fastboot mode when trying to flash the boot.img file when I first did it, but this worked for me to change the wallpaper in the Nook. I'm sorry I was so confused at first. Thank you for making the Neo Noogie file and advising me how to go about changing the sleep image Renate!
joshuamotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM   #559
halfsat
halfsat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook GlowLight 4e
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
OK, here's how to root the GL4. What I've done is taken Renate's post #37 from the XDA thread referenced in my previous post and fleshed it out a bit:

This presumes that you have ADB working and have already installed an alternate Android launcher on your GL4. If you haven't done any of this, check out this post before proceeding.

Here we go. Note that our Nook can be a bit stubborn about responding to ADB commands, so if it doesn't work the first time, try again and/or ask for help!

1) Download the GL4 firmware to your desktop or laptop from here.

2) Unzip the file.

3) Look for boot.img in the unzipped file and transfer it to your GL4.

4) Download the Magisk app from here and install it on your GL4. (Note: that link is also a very helpful source of info for Magisk.)

5) Run the Magisk app.

6) You'll see two slightly shaded boxes, entitled Magisk and App, respectively. In the Magisk box, directly to the right of the word Magisk, tap Install.

7) Under "Select and patch a file", select the boot.img file you just copied to your GL4. If you don't see this option in the first Magisk window you arrive at after tapping "install", tap "next" and you will.

8) Once Magisk completes its work on your boot.img, it will say so and will tell you where the patched file is located.

9) Copy the patched file back to your desktop/laptop. You can use ADB pull if you wish.

10) Enter the command adb reboot bootloader on your desktop/laptop.

11) Then, this command: fastboot flash boot the name of your magisk-patched boot.img. (I italicized that to indicate that you type the name of your Magisk-patched file instead of what's in italics!!) You can copy and paste the Magisk-patched file instead of typing out its full name. Tap Enter or Return, depending on what laptop/desktop you have.

12) Reboot to system. You can try adb reboot system or simply turn off your GL4 and turn it back on. You should be rooted now. Check by running the Magisk app once you are rebooted. Under the Magisk heading, besides "Installed", you should see a number. If you see "No", it didn't root properly. You can also install a root checker app to check root.

I hope I haven't missed anything!
I was going to give this a try on my Nook GL 4e last night, but I ran into some trouble at step 11. Fastboot didn't seem to be doing anything in the terminal on my Mac. It got stuck on <waiting for devices>. When I ran fast boot devices, nothing happened. I'm thinking this might just be an issue with drivers or something, so I might try it on another machine tonight, but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas as I've seen this same issue mentioned before.

Since I put this on hold for right now, I figured it's probably a good time to make sure that I have the right update file. I downloaded one that I saw linked in another thread, but I'm wondering if anyone could link the current 4e update file here just to be safe.

Thanks!
halfsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM   #560
halfsat

I messed something up.

I was eventually able to get a Windows machine to recognize it when I did fastboot devices, so I did try sending my Magisk file over via fastboot flash boot and I got the following message:

C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\platform-tools>fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-24200_esClI.img
Warning: skip copying boot image avb footer (boot partition size: 0, boot image size: 17901568).
Sending 'boot' (17482 KB) OKAY [ 1.018s]
Writing 'boot' OKAY [ 0.379s]
Finished. Total time: 1.464s

And now my 4e is stuck and won't seem to reboot or anything. I can still see it under adb devices and fastboot devices, so I tried to flash the boot.img file over to it and got the same message as above, but I still can't get anything to change on the screen.

Any ideas would be really appreciated!
Old Today, 10:05 AM   #561
halfsat

Quote:
Are you quite sure that you have the new nnglow21.img?
When in recovery:
Code:
adb shell ls -l /sbin/u*
It should say 1274700
Out of desperation, I just tried some of this on my 4e. I did fastboot flash boot nnglow21.img and then fastboot reboot. Now when I check adb devices, it does pull it up and says "recovery". I tried what was mentioned in this post and got:

__bionic_open_tzdata: couldn't find any tzdata when looking for Asia/Shanghai!
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 1970-01-01 00:00 /sbin/ueventd -> ../init
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 1970-01-01 00:00 /sbin/ulimit -> toybox_static
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 1970-01-01 00:00 /sbin/umount -> toybox_static
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 1970-01-01 00:00 /sbin/uname -> toybox_static
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 1970-01-01 00:00 /sbin/uniq -> toybox_static
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 1970-01-01 00:00 /sbin/unix2dos -> toybox_static
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1274700 1970-01-01 00:00 /sbin/update-binary
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 1970-01-01 00:00 /sbin/uptime -> toybox_static
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 415204 1970-01-01 00:00 /sbin/usbcfg
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 1970-01-01 00:00 /sbin/usleep -> toybox_static
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 1970-01-01 00:00 /sbin/uudecode -> toybox_static
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 1970-01-01 00:00 /sbin/uuencode -> toybox_static

I'm pretty much at a loss for where to go from here. I can fastboot back into the boot.img or my magisk img, but neither gets me any further. The screen is still blank, but booting back into one of those does change it in adb devices from "recovery" to "device".

Any thoughts?

Also, sorry for all the posts in this thread. Just trying to get my device back up and running!
Old Today, 10:20 AM   #562
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know what it's talking about the AVB footer.
You can try going to recovery, pushing it and flashing from there.
Code:
fastboot reboot recovery
adb push magisk.img /cache
adb shell
dd if=/cache/magisk.img of=/dev/block/by-name/boot
reboot
Old Today, 10:38 AM   #563
halfsat

Quote:
I don't know what it's talking about the AVB footer.
You can try going to recovery, pushing it and flashing from there.
Code:
fastboot reboot recovery
adb push magisk.img /cache
adb shell
dd if=/cache/magisk.img of=/dev/block/by-name/boot
reboot
Just tried this with both the magisk and regular boot img, both end up with the same result. I'm able to do everything just as described up until the last step. I can successfully push the file, then the dd results in a message about records in/out and 17m copied. But when I try to type reboot, it says /system/bin/sh: reboot: not found.

I can power cycle using the power button on the Nook and start over (still able to see the device in adb devices and fastboot devices), but still nothing is happening on the screen.
Old Today, 10:45 AM   #564
Renate
Wizard

Oh, it keeps on going to recovery I think.
I think I added reboot to later versions for other devices.

When stuck in recovery:
Code:
adb shell
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/by-name/misc count=1
Then a long power button press.
Old Today, 11:03 AM   #565
halfsat

Quote:
Oh, it keeps on going to recovery I think.
I think I added reboot to later versions for other devices.

When stuck in recovery:
Code:
adb shell
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/by-name/misc count=1
Then a long power button press.
Still no luck! Same as before, everything seems to be working as expected when I go through those commands. With this last one, it says 1+0 in and 1+0 out and 512b copied. But then after a long power press, nothing happens on the screen. It's totally white right now, I think it seems to flash black for a second going into/out of recovery, but that's it. PC's still seeing the device under adb/fastboot devices though.
Old Today, 11:12 AM   #566
Renate
Wizard

Don't you still have the stock (not Magisk'ed) image.
Did you try flashing that?
Are you sure that what you started with was what was on your device.?
Old Today, 11:17 AM   #567
halfsat

Quote:
Don't you still have the stock (not Magisk'ed) image.
Did you try flashing that?
Are you sure that what you started with was what was on your device.?
I tried flashing the boot.img from the update zip that I downloaded, but I am questioning whether I got the right version or if I downloaded an older version by mistake. This was my first time trying to root a Nook and I'm thinking I probably made a dumb mistake. Is there any way to find the latest update zip for the 4e? Or is it just a matter of guessing? Because at this point, I don't even mind trying to flash a few different boot.img files over to find the right one. Unless there's some better method. Since the PC is still seeing the device, I haven't totally given up hope yet.
Old Today, 01:00 PM   #568
Renate
Wizard

Unfortunately my 4e is about 5000 miles away right now.

Here are some updates though:
http://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/pi...123/update.zip
http://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/pi....88/update.zip
http://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/pi....95/update.zip
Old Today, 01:35 PM   #569
halfsat

Quote:
You are amazing!! I really can't tell you how grateful I am for your patience and help with this. After I flashed the boot.img from that first link, it came right back up.

Weirdly, I tried to run that img through magisk and then flash that over. Nothing happened when I flashed that img though. So I ended up just flashing back to the regular boot.img. I'm not rooted, but at least my device is working!

Seriously, thank you so much! I never would have gotten this figured out.

Tags
nook