Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-24-2024, 09:49 AM   #1
rogercreagh
rogercreagh began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova Air
Noobi help needed

Hi,
When I last used Calibre (about 10 years ago) I had a Macbook and a first gen kindle with a keyboard. I used to simply connect the kindle via USB and could download books from the lkindle into the Calibre library. Simple.

Things have obviously moved on since then. I now have a Linux (ubuntu 22.04)) laptop and a Boox Nova Air device as a kindle (using the kindle android app v8.48.0.100).

When I plugged the Boox into the laptop Calibre recognised the device and asked if I wanted to use it- yes. However when I look at the library on the boox in calibre the titles are all strings of letters like CR!XTQ4Z...32 chars long, the file size and date are correct but the author is "unknown", the collections field is blank, and the image is a placeholder. Under the imaage placeholder it says "Format KFX". There are a few (non amazon sourced) books in epub format which seem correct but have no collection or cover image.

I've browsed the help files, faqs, and searched in these forums, but can find nothing about how to get books from an android using the kindle app into the calibre library.

I think I've still got a genuine amazon kindle somewhere which might still work (although it was last used 5 years ago with a dodgy screen and poor battery life and will be missing most of my library) - do I have to connect to a genuine kindle in order to access my books? Is there any way of getting books from an android device which is using the official app?

Calibre seems to have got a lot more complicated, but the help seems silent on the subject Where can I find simple instructions to get my amazon books into it?

Many thanks for any pointers or help - even a suggestion of what to search for or where to look in the pelthora of separate foums here would be appreciated.

RogerCO
rogercreagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 10:33 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Many majors lock their store downloads in protected storage (only the app can use). Amazon is one of those that does this and also makes the DB less accessible to Calibre (The kindle collections plugin is limited on what it can do on post V4 era devices)
If your K1 (or early other eink models ONLY) is still yours, register it (it does not really need to work well), and use the Download and transfer by USB option on the (more) in the store.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 11:44 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
You may want to read this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=361503
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 06:06 PM   #4
Frogm4n
Groupie
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercreagh View Post
I think I've still got a genuine amazon kindle somewhere which might still work (although it was last used 5 years ago with a dodgy screen and poor battery life and will be missing most of my library) - do I have to connect to a genuine kindle in order to access my books? Is there any way of getting books from an android device which is using the official app?
As long as the Kindle is still registered to your Amazon account then you can still use the "Download and transfer over USB" method. It doesn't even matter if the Kindle itself still works at all, since you can get the serial number that you need to put into DeDRM from your Amazon account. Only the fact that it's an eink Kindle registered to your account is the important part.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, kfx, kindle