Notices

Old 09-23-2024, 10:02 AM   #1
paperback
Connoisseur
paperback began at the beginning.

Device: None
Spell check window: cannot adjust width

Calibre 7.14 / Linux Mint 20.1 (cinnamon(

For the last two Calibre versions it has not been possible to adjust the width of the spellcheck window (although the mouse pointer shape indicates otherwise).
paperback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 10:04 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperback View Post
Calibre 7.14 / Linux Mint 20.1 (cinnamon(

For the last two Calibre versions it has not been possible to adjust the width of the spellcheck window (although the mouse pointer shape indicates otherwise).
Try calibre 7.18. It's using a newer version of QT which may help.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 10:10 AM   #3
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I'm running 7.17 in Windows 10 and the spellcheck window does change size in that.

EDIT: Oops. Sorry. I thought 7.18 was where the QT update happened. Just checked the "What's New" page and it was 7.17. So, as Jon said, give 7.18 a try. If it doesn't work there, perhaps it's a Wayland issue (I believe Mint uses Wayland now).
EDIT 2: Double oops. Looks like Wayland wasn't added to Mint until v 21.3. So, never mind. I think I'll go away now.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 09-23-2024 at 10:20 AM.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 12:14 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
I'm running 7.17 in Windows 10 and the spellcheck window does change size in that.

EDIT: Oops. Sorry. I thought 7.18 was where the QT update happened. Just checked the "What's New" page and it was 7.17. So, as Jon said, give 7.18 a try. If it doesn't work there, perhaps it's a Wayland issue (I believe Mint uses Wayland now).
EDIT 2: Double oops. Looks like Wayland wasn't added to Mint until v 21.3. So, never mind. I think I'll go away now.
The OP could still be using Wayland even with an older Mint.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 05:32 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One other issue is that the spellcheck window has a minimum size, on my Windows 11 system, that size is 734x526 when I grab a corner and shrink it as far as possible.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 10:36 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works fine for me, as DNSB noted, it has a minimum width below which it cant be resized.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote