Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-17-2024, 03:30 PM   #31
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Success! Downloaded Sigil.app-2.3.0-1-Mac-arm64.txz from GitHub the normal way, unpacked and double-clicked.

I got the same "... app downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it? ... Apple checked it for malicious software and none was detected" message that I get with most other notarized software I download directly from the Internet, both free and paid, and including calibre, BBEdit, etc.

I clicked Open et voilà!

Thank you so much for all your efforts. I would have been content to continue overriding the "unverified developer and cannot verify free from malware" warning, but this will reassure new users that Sigil is safe and avoid the other problems you pointed out as Apple tightens its controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
@odamizu,

We updated this release to include a hopefully fixed, Sigil.app-2.3.0-1-Mac-arm64.txz and fixed Sigil.app-2.3.0-1-Mac_x86_64.txz.

When you get a free moment, please try normally downloading it, unpack it, and try the resulting Sigil.app to make sure it is working just like other downloads.

Do not use curl nor xattr for this test, just an everyday browser download.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2024, 03:58 PM   #32
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Glad to hear it! Thank you!
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2024, 04:31 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Woo!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2024, 07:03 AM   #34
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I noticed a cosmetic issue with the Windows version. I'm getting the not well-formed message twice if an epub is missing a doctype. I've attached a simple test case.
(The Mend ... Source Code on Open/Save options were deactivated.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sigl_msg.png
Views:	57
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	210240  
Attached Files
File Type: epub no_doctype_epub3.epub (2.0 KB, 23 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2024, 08:19 AM   #35
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I noticed a cosmetic issue with the Windows version. I'm getting the not well-formed message twice if an epub is missing a doctype. I've attached a simple test case.
I will try to track down why their are 2.
Thanks for your bug report!
Old 08-18-2024, 02:14 PM   #36
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:

This must be a Windows only bug.

With Mend on Open set, I get just one warning that said it was already fixed.

If I turn off Mend On Open, then all I get is one message that says I need to run Mend myself or fix things manually.

No double warnings at all.

In fact the ShowLastOpenFileWarnings() routine only shows a warning dialog if warnings exist and after showing then m_LastOpenFileWarnings is cleared.

Code:
void MainWindow::ShowLastOpenFileWarnings()
{
    if (!m_LastOpenFileWarnings.isEmpty()) {
        foreach(QString info, m_LastOpenFileWarnings) {
            QString msg;
            QString details;
            if (!info.isEmpty()) {
                QStringList warning = info.split(QChar(31));
                msg = warning[0];
                details = warning[1];
                Utility::DisplayStdWarningDialog( 
                "<p><b>" %
                tr("Warning: ") % msg %
                "</b><p>", details, this);
            }
        }
        m_LastOpenFileWarnings.clear();
    }
}
The first place it loads the warnings and then tries to show them depending on if initial load is done or not (depending on if MainWindow as open and active and ready to show the Warnings dialog).

Code:
             // Get any warnings - if our main window is not currently visible they will be
            // shown when the window is displayed.
            m_LastOpenFileWarnings.append(importer->GetLoadWarnings());
            if (!m_IsInitialLoad) {
                ShowLastOpenFileWarnings();
            }
And the second is where it is delayed to if the MainWindow was not already open and ready in the first try.

Code:
            if (m_FirstTime && !m_LastOpenFileWarnings.isEmpty()) {
                QTimer::singleShot(0, this, SLOT(ShowLastOpenFileWarnings()));
            }
But in both places they are cleared once shown, so I have no idea how it can show them twice unless somehow things are running in a multi-threaded way.

There should only be one thread that runs the gui and either it showed or did not show the warnings.

So something is strange or there are alternate paths through the code I am not seeing.
Old 08-18-2024, 02:31 PM   #37
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I just tried loading the no_doctype test case on my current Linux box and it behaved exactly like it does on MacOS with both the Mend on Open box checked and then when unchecked. Each time generated just one warning.

Can anyone else on Windows recreate the double warnings (with Mend on Open NOT checked) and his test case?
Old 08-18-2024, 02:45 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I also see the double popups on Windows. It does matter whether mend on open is enabled or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-18 114404.png
Views:	35
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	210257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-18 114543.png
Views:	29
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	210258  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2024, 02:50 PM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Windows and Linux usually mirror each other with these kind of errors. A truly Windows-only bug would be unusual. I'll check when I get near a PC.
Old 08-18-2024, 02:54 PM   #40
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I also see the double popups on Windows. It does matter whether mend on open is enabled or not.
Wow! I am not seeing that at all on Linux or MacOS.
And the only way it can happen is for the second warning to start before the first post has ended (since when it ends it clears itself preventing a second warning)

I am just not sure how that is happening.

There must either be 2 threads of simultaneous execution, or somehow a call that allows for single execution reentrancy, such as a call to qApp->ProcessEvents

Very strange.
Old 08-18-2024, 03:00 PM   #41
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Wow! I am not seeing that at all on Linux or MacOS.
And the only way it can happen is for the second warning to start before the first post has ended (since when it ends it clears itself preventing a second warning)
To be more specific, I only get the double message boxes, if I double-click on the test epub, if Sigil isn't already running.
If I first open Sigil and then open the test case via File > Open I get only one message box.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2024, 03:12 PM   #42
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
To be more specific, I only get the double message boxes, if I double-click on the test epub, if Sigil isn't already running.
If I first open Sigil and then open the test case via File > Open I get only one message box.
I did not try that but I will now.

Either way, I have ruled out two threads, so it is some form of reentrancy. So I will add a variable to prevent reentrancy.
Old 08-18-2024, 03:32 PM   #43
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, I tried that on both Linux and Sigil and still no double warnings.

So I can not test if what I have below will fix things or not, but if you do build your own (or maybe BeckyEbook could test it) please try the following changes that should prevent reentrancy in the ShowLastOpenFileWarnings:

In Sigil/src/MainUI/MainWindow.cpp in the ShowLastOpenFindWarnings() routine add the first two lines to start that routine and the last line just before it ends.

Code:
void MainWindow::ShowLastOpenFileWarnings()
{
    if (m_inShowLastOpenWarnings) return;
    m_inShowLastOpenWarnings = true;
    if (!m_LastOpenFileWarnings.isEmpty()) {
        foreach(QString info, m_LastOpenFileWarnings) {
            QString msg;
            QString details;
            if (!info.isEmpty()) {
                QStringList warning = info.split(QChar(31));
                msg = warning[0];
                details = warning[1];
                Utility::DisplayStdWarningDialog(
                "<p><b>" %
                tr("Warning: ") % msg %
                "</b><p>", details, this);
            }
        }
        m_LastOpenFileWarnings.clear();
    }
    m_inShowLastOpenWarnings = false;
}

In Sigil/src/MainUI/MainWindow.h, near the bottom add this next line:
Code:
    bool m_inShowLastOpenWarnings = false;

/**
     * Holds all the widgets Qt Designer created for us.
     */
    Ui::MainWindow ui;
};
If those changes fix the issue for Windows, I will push them to master.
Old 08-18-2024, 04:08 PM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Strange. I couldn't reproduce the issue on my Virtual Windows 10 machines. But I WAS able to do so on a physical Windows 10 machine (only when double-clicking on the epub; just like Doitsu).

I'll test the code changes.
Old 08-18-2024, 04:19 PM   #45
RaelIAK
RaelIAK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
downloaded Sigil.app-2.3.0-1-Mac-arm64.txz (and Sigil.app-2.3.0-1-Mac-x86_64.txz
as well), and unzipped "normally".
Yet they both refuse to even start. As 2.3.0 and previous version of Sigil.
Such a pity. I'm on a Mac, running MacOS 12.7.6
RaelIAK is offline   Reply With Quote