Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Today, 05:30 PM   #1
Debbie
Debbie began at the beginning.

Device: None
Long “Which eReader is best for me?” Query

Hi all,

I have a Kobo Clara 2E that I bought to read ebooks from US public libraries via Overdrive/Libby. Kobo integrates well with Overdrive if you only have access to one library, but I use cards at several libraries. It’s mildly annoying to have to log into a different library with each book, and it’s a real problem if I have books from different libraries signed out at the same time. I’ve tried multiple times to use Adobe/ADE via my mac laptop to sideload library books onto the 2E without success.

Other negatives I have found with the 2E:
— Page turning and other interactions with the screen (such as logging into different Overdrive libraries) are slow.
— I prefer the interface of reading with the Libby app compared to the Kobo device or the Kobo app.
— It supposedly syncs my place in the book with the Kobo iOS app, but that doesn’t seem to happen automatically, so it is annoying to switch between reading on the 2E and reading (the same book) on my iphone or ipad.

Things I like about the 2E:
— It’s lightweight
— Screen is great for reading
— Battery life is great

So I am considering alternatives. My dream list would be:
— Runs Libby app (or, not quite as good, can integrate with multiple public libraries via Overdrive/Libby)
— Ideally also runs other apps that public libraries use, like Hoopla and CloudLibrary, though I use them much less often than Overdrive/Libby
— My place in a book will sync with the same book in the same app on my iphone/ipad.
— Decent battery life (say, at least a week with 1 hr/day reading)
— Updatable as needed and will be usable for at least a few years.
— Relatively lightweight
— I’m undecided about size but I think I would lean towards smaller rather than larger
— No ads. I don’t care if it shows me a bookstore, but I don’t want it to push it or any other products
— Relatively easy to make it relatively difficult for me to check email or texts, browse the web, or play games
— black and white

Things that I don’t care much about in either direction:
— Bookstore. I don’t often buy ebooks, and I have Calibre for use when needed.
— Mic or audio; on the rare occasion I would listen to an ebook I would do it on my phone.
— Ability to take notes
— Ability to read manga, comics, graphic novels
— Price, within reason

I actually read books quite comfortably on both my iphone and ipad, but it is so easy to get distracted on them that I would prefer a dedicated device. I considered getting a second ipad and just removing all other apps, but that’s still kind of heavy and the battery doesn’t last as long as on eInk devices, plus it seems like overkill. But it’s still an option. I am not interested in a Kindle.

I have your average reasonably-smart-person’s knowledge of computers/tech, and I am comfortable troubleshooting within more-or-less normal usage, but unfortunately I’m not that good at going much beyond fairly standard uses for a device. (Examples: several years ago I tried to run Linux on a formerly-Windows laptop without success; I don’t understand discussions I’ve seen online about “rooting” devices; my failure with sideloading books onto my Kobo.)

So after some research it seems that an Android eInk device on which I only put ebook related apps might be a good plan for me. I’ve looked into Boox devices, but I’ve seen mixed reviews by users. Concerns seem to be: (1) battery life (2) quality of the device/support - some people say it breaks easily and support is not good and (3) the longevity of the Android OS. As you can tell I live in an Apple universe. iOS can be updated for years after a device is launched, but the comments I’ve seen about Boox devices suggest that the Android OS that most of them use is relatively old and also can’t be updated. Is this correct??

I’ve also seen some comments about Pocketbook eReaders but haven’t found much info regarding how they would handle my concerns about accessing multiple Overdrive libraries.

What thoughts do you guys have for me? I’d love to hear your opinions on what I’ve already thought through, or anything else I haven’t considered.

Thanks!
Debbie
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:00 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that you want to run Hoopla, CloudLibrary, and Libby, you would need to get an Android based reader. I suggest you get an Onyx Boox Poke5. It's Android with a 6" screen and if there are the apps available for Android, you can side load them.

https://shop.boox.com/products/poke5
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert