Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Today, 09:15 AM   #1
Pw23
Pw23 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Any suggestions for a 10 inch reader with limited functionality? (mainly just reading

Someone on the search for a 10 inch e-reader£ However, I have a few requirements:

Only black and white
Compatible with the common e-book formats
Ability to download e-books from third-party websites as I never purchased the e-book from Amazon or anywhere else Call my ID I can download from my iPhone as I don't have a computer
Able to play audiobooks, but I'm not essential
Not to have a annotation/scribe function as I'm honourable to hold a pin, unfortunately unfortunately
Good PPI B&W quality
Not able to show adverts
Long pantry life
This will be my first e-reader and it seems all the big screens at 10 inches half describe function which I don't want

I know this requirement makes it hard to find a suitable reader. Anyone of any there.

Thank you,
,Wendy
Pw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:04 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've had two 10″ plus ereaders and a 9.7″ ereader. None are in use now, because they are too limited for anything that is no use on 6″ to 8″ dedicated ereaders and heavy to read a novel on.

If you don't have a computer (or an Android Tablet), then you are limited to the Scribe for ebooks from Amazon or the Kobo for ebooks from Kobo. Likely the pocketbook shop is more limited.

If you go for an Android tablet with a matt screen, which are almost like a dedicated black & white ereader, the 10.9″ TCL Nxtpaper 11 is cheaper than the most of the 10 inch plus dedicated ereaders with 32G (Amazon Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook, Onyx Boox or overpriced niche Bigme, or very limited reMarkable). It will let you buy from Amazon. Kobo, Pocketbook, Smashwords, ebooks.com and Google Playbooks. Its shelf life (pantry life?) is weeks and run time similar to some dedicated ereaders. It has 256 G, SD card slot, audio jack, BT for ear buds, WiFi etc.

Only Barnes & Noble if you are in the USA and easily use 100,000 public domain (free) ebooks, age etc depending on where you live.

The annotation/notebook feature can be ignored on any with it (which is practically every 10″ plus ereader).

The web browsers on dedicated ereaders are awkward to use and can be incompatible with sites of PD (free) or bought ebooks.

None really have adverts except Amazon, and you pay once extra to not have them, and might not apply to Scribe.

Any dedicated ereaders that play audiobooks do it worse than your iPhone and only from associated store, not any audio books.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:20 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

If you don't have a computer (or an Android Tablet), then you are limited to the Scribe for ebooks from Amazon or the Kobo for ebooks from Kobo. Likely the pocketbook shop is more limited.

I would guess with an iPhone and Google drive, the op wouldn't need to get ebooks from Kobo (depending on DRM).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:45 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The iPhone doesn't play well outside Apple ecosystem to download ebooks to something, and not all ereaders support Google drive, which is an added complication.

Also even on Android phone (Android 4.x to Android 13), you need an ereader with Mass Storage (so not Kindle Scribe, Onyx Boox, Pocketbook android models or reMarkable) and an OTG adapater and a File Manager. I've managed it to a PaperWhite 3 (unlike Scribe it's Mass Storage) and a Kobo Aura H2O on Android 4.1 Sony phone with a Micro-USB OTG USB-A adapter and a USB cable. With Android 13 I had to add a USB hub with also a USB memory stick to get the Kobo Sage recognised. Then I was able to copy on a downloaded epub and also copy off the conf file and open it in Jota (free Android text editor).

I can't see that Google Drive helps and only having an iPhone is limiting unless you only read on iPhone apps.

Hence either a 7″ approx Kindle or Kobo, or if 10″ plus really needed the TCL Nxtpaper 11 tablet, (under €240 in shipping in EU) and is almost as good as mono eink and does everything except deDRM and run Calibre! Far better than a x5 price iPad (we have compared side by side).
Old Today, 01:32 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The iPhone doesn't play well outside Apple ecosystem to download ebooks to something, and not all ereaders support Google drive, which is an added complication.

When was the last time you tried using Google Drive on an iPhone? I just looked at Project Gutenberg (on my iPhone), and for ebooks, they have a Google Drive link. On Gutenberg, I can also download epubs to my iphone to "Files", and from iphone Files, share them to Google Drive.

I assume once they are in Google Drive, Kobos (at least the ones with Google Drive support) can download the epubs.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:13 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
When was the last time you tried using Google Drive on an iPhone?
I wasn't talking about iPhone to Google Drive. I was talking about connecting the iPhone to anything local and about connecting an ereader to Google Drive.

I know some people use it, but passing stuff to a dedicated ereader with Google Drive is clunky and stupid. It only even works with some ereaders. Also for bought books other than Smashwords, there is DRM. Hence if you don't have a computer the totally best solution is a matt screen Android tablet. An iPhone plus Google drive would just be a clunky stupid way for PD. You can actually access most PD direct on many ereaders, and certainly Kobo. it is the copyright books on an ereader WITHOUT PC where you are locked to the ereader's vendor's book shop.

If you have a computer (Mac, Linux, Windows and some newer Chromebooks), then you can buy any ebooks nearly anywhere and read them on anything.

Google drive solves nothing.

Also if they have no computer they likely have no WiFi for a Kobo to Google Drive unless the iPhone can be a WiFi hotspot. My iPhone had no such feature, but my older cheaper Android phone does still support Mobile to WiFi or USB networking.

Last edited by Quoth; Today at 03:19 PM.
Old Today, 03:44 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Also if they have no computer they likely have no WiFi for a Kobo to Google Drive unless the iPhone can be a WiFi hotspot. My iPhone had no such feature, but my older cheaper Android phone does still support Mobile to WiFi or USB networking.
Really? Your Android phone is over 13 years old? I remember being able to use a hot spot on my iPhone 4 back in early 2011 and it has been there ever since.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote